PDA

View Full Version : iMovie - FREE or NOT?!

Bexford
5th April 2009, 10:17 AM
Hi all

I am collaborating with a local film maker on a series of workshops that involve digital storytelling. participants of this workshop are *apparently* going to be given a DVD containing (iMovie, MovieMaker, Audacity & Photoplus). there is no charge to participate in these workshops and nothing is being "sold".

whilst the latter 3 are obviously freely available for "dark-side users" - I was under the impression that iMovie was part of the iLife suite and NOT freely available via a download to anyone with a mac!!!

have I missed something here?? any advice greatly appreciated guys....

thanks!
Bex

macrich
5th April 2009, 10:42 AM
If it's an older version of iMovie, it can be downloaded from the Apple website.

decryption
5th April 2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, iMovie isn't free - iMovie '06 is only available to download if you own iLife '08 and '09 and don't like the newer versions of iMovie that come with it.

macrich
5th April 2009, 11:45 AM
It would be safe to assume though, if your have a mac, you'll have iLife (the version that comes with the initial install discs). That being said though, you can only run iMovie on a mac, so if you're using a PC you're buggered.

Thanks for the enlightenment there though Anthony, I had no idea about iMovie 06 being only for iLife 08 & 09 users.

bartron
5th April 2009, 01:31 PM
Depending on where the workshops are being done depends on what you can get for free. I've done courses with Microsoft and got free* copies of of Server 2003 or SQL 2005 or whathaveyou (the licence strictly stipulates they are education versions but are otherwise fully functional). At the Apple training I did we got free copies of a few utilities that one would usually pay for. If the training place has an agreement for a free copy of iMovie then that's what you get :)

* Not really free as a lot of the training I've done has been $2-$3k per student...but works pays for it so it's free for me ;)