PDA

View Full Version : Shutting Down

braex27
4th April 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi All

Sometimes when I shut down my MBP, I hear a quick (quite loud) squelching noise before the system shuts down.

Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed it? It doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while.

Thanks

Goodbye
4th April 2009, 10:48 PM
How hard are you closing the lid?

If you're too forceful with it, the baby hamsters inside running your machine can get squashed :cry:

braex27
5th April 2009, 12:42 PM
No, it's not the lid. It has to do with the OS. The sound occurs, before the monitor turns off, and before I close the lid.

Back2Bedlam
5th April 2009, 12:50 PM
does it do it when you restart, or only on shut down, what about logging on and off?

Have a look at what your fans are doing, speed wise, as you shut down

black painter
10th April 2009, 07:30 PM
Ill say your HDD is going. The last time i heard that was with a pt2 at school. Back up and change drives quickly. You have about a month of shut downs

Brains
10th April 2009, 08:14 PM
braex: this isn't an uncommon occurence, and the squelch / belch noise you are hearing is more than likely just residual power draining through the audio circuitry, and the actual noise is the digital buffers getting scrambled during powerdown. Plug some earphones in and see if you can hear the same noise in them during shut-down -- if you can, it's just the audio glitch, and whilst a bit odd, is nothing to be concerned over (it just means your machine has a bit of extra character and likes to blow a raspberry like a recalcitrant toddler when told it has to go to bed :p)