PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to delete the voice called alex?

rjch
4th April 2009, 10:26 PM
Is it OK to delete the voice called alex?

I want to remove unnecessary stuff from a mini.

I see this voice is about 600mb. I.e. System/Library/Speech/Voice/AlexSpeechVoice/Content/Resources/PCMWave

All the others voices seem little by comparison. Is Alex important for the other voices?

If I want to delete all voice from the mini, what should I do? Is there a place to go to find out about stripping everything you don't need if you are using your mini just to run tv and movies and music and related?

NeoRicen
4th April 2009, 10:33 PM
Don't delete system files.

ClockWork
4th April 2009, 10:36 PM
Ditto.

Don't mess with it - besides - in current realms of 80+ Gigabyte Hard Drives, 600 Megabytes is a drop in the ocean.

timmytomtam
4th April 2009, 10:38 PM
If you delete any system files, you will soon find yourself posting an "OMG my computer isn't working" thread.

There have been a number of threads here where people have deleted system files and then wondered why stuff was fucked up.

Jaffa
4th April 2009, 10:39 PM
Firstly, in the friendliest way possible: I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you DO NOT delete or modify any files in your System folder under any circumstances.

However, if you know what you are doing, and you really need to delete the files, there are apps out there that can strip out the un-neccesary files and binaries. XSlimmer for example can get rid of PPC code on an Intel Mac, and vice versa. There is an app that can remove the many GB's i believe of multi-lingual language things that Mac OS X has. I'm not sure of the name of an app that does this, but MacUpdate: Download Apple Mac Software & iPhone Software (http://www.macupdate.com) is your friend there. :)

If you're going to be storing Music and Videos there, I would suggest investing in an external hard drive, as you should always keep about 15-25% of your internal startup disk free for Mac OS X to be able to "breathe".

rjch
4th April 2009, 10:49 PM
Sure. I feel the same way. When ever I start deleting things in Library or System/Library I imagine horrendous unimaginable consequences. But some things you can safely get rid of, like all those printer things. Also, iPhoto and GarageBand and similar application support stuff, which take up a lot of space when you add it all up.

But is "alex" important? I'll never use voice on this mini. And the space is important in the sense that it fills up rather quickly with eyetv recordings. There's only 120 gb on this mini, and Mr Alex, and all the other voices are about 1gb. Why would I not get rid of stuff that I will not be wanting to hear from?

Then again, its only 1%, its a bit trivial.

ClockWork
4th April 2009, 11:02 PM
Because, as others have mentioned, your Apple will wind up flying backwards.

The things you've mentioned you can safely delete are not in the System folder. You can get away with some stuff in the Applications and Users folders, but no go in the System folder.

If collecting movies that can weigh 700 MB each, do you really think removing 600MB will vastly change your available space?

To collect BIG files without hogging all your HD space, as Jaffa has said, you require an External Drive - see here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/34587-external-drives-dummies.html) and here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/394155-post3.html).

It's quite fairly economic to hook up an External Multibay Enclosure, like the Taurus RAID II or the SATA XPress Dual Bay Triple, both of which can hold a maximum of 4 Terabytes.

rjch
4th April 2009, 11:16 PM
All right. Thank you. I will not delete. I will leave alex alive there. But he is on notice. If I hear a peek out of him he is out.

Thank you ClockWork for that reference to Taurus RAID II because that is something that we could very well use.

Brains
5th April 2009, 02:15 AM
The lads are 100% correct, never EVER under any circumstances, edit, delete, upgrade, downgrade, change or move a file that Apple installs into /System, and the same applies to any other Apple-installed OS file unless you know exactly what you are doing.

A little tip for you. For Mac OS X to remain functionally stable, you must ensure that you have five percent or 5 GB of your boot volume (whichever is larger) as free space at all times. Mac OS X needs this space for a variety of reasons (eg. paging virtual memory, moving logs, performing on-the-fly defragmentation) and the machine's performance & stability will start to nose-dive once you go below that point.

dangson
23rd May 2009, 12:18 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I deleted this file and my MB hasn't gone kaboom yet. I'm not sure why everyone is giving such grave warnings. While not deleting system files is usually a good idea, there are instances when it's fine.

rjch, if it makes you feel any better, compress the folder, then delete it. If anything goes wrong you can always put it back. If after a couple weeks your system is still fine, you can get rid of the zip.

banjo
23rd May 2009, 01:48 PM
Dangson, the reason people are so against deleting or modifying system files is because there have been cases where Mactalkers have done so against advice not to and they've completely borked their system then come running for help. The likelihood that a novice user will do more than what they're expecting is pretty high, thus the general advice to touch nothing.

As a general rule: if you have to ask whether it's okay, it's probably not.

Redman
23rd May 2009, 02:17 PM
Firstly, in the friendliest way possible: I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you DO NOT delete or modify any files in your System folder under any circumstances.

However, if you know what you are doing, and you really need to delete the files, there are apps out there that can strip out the un-neccesary files and binaries. XSlimmer for example can get rid of PPC code on an Intel Mac, and vice versa. There is an app that can remove the many GB's i believe of multi-lingual language things that Mac OS X has. I'm not sure of the name of an app that does this, but MacUpdate: Download Apple Mac Software & iPhone Software (http://www.macupdate.com) is your friend there. :)

If you're going to be storing Music and Videos there, I would suggest investing in an external hard drive, as you should always keep about 15-25% of your internal startup disk free for Mac OS X to be able to "breathe".

Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/)

richardcavell
23rd May 2009, 02:35 PM
I might just add something to this...

There are many posts on mactalk and other forums about people who have stripped other languages and PowerPC code from their .app files, and things don't work properly any more. Some software performs integrity checks on itself (Office, Photoshop, etc) to see whether a virus or hacked version or faulty installation is present.

The reality is that if you don't know exactly how it works, then you shouldn't be messing with it. The only way to know for sure is if you wrote the software yourself or if you have the source code and have exhaustive knowledge of it.

Richard