PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi not working after Firmware update

Brett05
3rd April 2009, 05:05 PM
hi all,

i have looked through here as best i could and cannot find the help i'm looking for.
i have just updated my IPhone 3G to firmware to 2.2.1. now i'm unable to connect to my wi fi at home. i have an ipod touch that hasn't been updated yet, and it picks up my home wi fi.

thanks

cheers
Brett

Cracked Media
8th April 2009, 08:11 PM
Have you tried troubleshooting like totally shutting down and re-booting, also manually turning off wifi on your iphone vi asettings then turning it back on again?

mestevie
8th April 2009, 09:08 PM
Have you tried troubleshooting like totally shutting down and re-booting, also manually turning off wifi on your iphone vi asettings then turning it back on again?

I feel your pain. (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/37/62267-iphone-suddenly-not-connecting-wi-fi.html)

There is a bit of this going around I am surprised more has not been made of it.

Alec Fraser
8th April 2009, 09:32 PM
Have either of you tried calling Apple Support?

cjm19
8th April 2009, 09:40 PM
I have had the same experience on one of the two wifi networks that I access regularly.

Both are Airport Extreme based - one that works fine is the N + G version and the other just G.

got it working again by - pressing forget this network on the iphone and then restarting the modem and router - then entered WAP password on iphone to join network

mestevie
8th April 2009, 11:53 PM
Have either of you tried calling Apple Support?

Yep I have a genius appointmnt this weekend...

flyboyoz
9th April 2009, 08:34 AM
Hi guys I have the same problem
Have tried turning phone on and off. But I cant turn the wifi off as it is GREYED out and says NO WI FI.
All this since the last update. Anyone got any solutions so far.
This is bloody annoying.
cheers

mestevie
10th April 2009, 11:03 AM
Apple Replacing iPhones With 2.2.1-Related Wi-Fi Issues (http://theappleblog.com/2009/04/08/apple-replacing-iphones-with-221-related-wi-fi-issues/)

Apple Replacing iPhones With 2.2.1-Related Wi-Fi Issues
Written on April 08, 2009 by Darrell Etherington and 14 people have commented

wifibroken

This is news to me, and scary news at that, but it seems as though firmware update 2.2.1 has been causing some problems with Wi-Fi for many iPhone users.

Iíve not had any problems, but then again, I use Wi-Fi only sparingly, and even when I do, itís never for an extended period. Also, Iíve updated to the 3.0 beta firmware, so I might have dodged a bullet there. If you have been having issues, and were hoping for a quick software fix, it looks like you may be out of luck.

Some users have reportedly been told by Apple to have their hardware replaced, and to make sure that when they call for a replacement, they specifically ask for an iPhone thatís running firmware of a version earlier than 2.2.1. All of which would seem to indicate that for the moment, Apple doesnít know how to undo what they did with 2.2.1.

No one knows for sure what exactly is causing the problems, which seem to affect primarily 2G and older 3G model phones, but some believe the issues stem from Apple lifting an artificial throttling cap on the iPhoneís Wi-Fi chip, which enables faster speeds but also overheating. The theory seems to be supported by the fact that the issues are resolved and connectivity is restored when affected units are placed in the fridge for a little while and left to cool down.

As per usual, thereís no official word from Apple on the matter, and gauging how widespread the problem actually is will be difficult in this case, since a number of other factors could be affecting Wi-Fi performance. If youíre having the same problem, let us know, and maybe we can start to see just how deep this goes.

flyboyoz
11th April 2009, 08:51 PM
So has anyone else taken their phone back due to the WIFI not working? If so what has the response been from the apple store. This is now realllllllly Pi#%ing me off now.

mestevie
11th April 2009, 10:17 PM
Got my iphone swapped over today. Hope it does not happen again.....

flyboyoz
11th April 2009, 10:21 PM
Got my iphone swapped over today. Hope it does not happen again.....

Where did you go? if you dont mind me asking.
Did you just demonstrate it and they swapped it over?
Looks like I may have to do the same. Not happy Jan !!

mestevie
11th April 2009, 10:27 PM
Sydney Apple Store. Its pretty straight forward. The wi fi stopped working, its under warranty, the Genius tested it to confirm this, and then gave me a new phone.

Brett05
13th April 2009, 06:13 PM
hi guys
been away for easter and have not been able to reply

here goes

last week i phoned Optus IPhone support (133 713), i spent 3/4 hour on there troubleshooting why i don't have wi-fi. Techy guy suggested i download the old firmware version 2.1 and do the restore using that version. i followed the steps he told me. i kept getting "error 1013". at this point i did a bit more searching and found out i should ignore this error (well i had no choice.....click OK and the restore starts again) this time with 2.2.1 as the prefered firmware. This had consumed about 3 hours of sitting watching my phone go through several restores. I'd had enough. Optus Techy guy rang me back later that night to see how i went....end result....we decided to wait until firmware 3.0 was released and see if that fixes the problem.

whilst away over the easter break i tried to do ANZ banking, via the mobile banking section ANZ have for the IPhone....have a guess what....error message from ANZ stating cannot continue, because i dont have Java Scripting turned on....oh yes i do

now back at home, i phoneed Apple Care this afternoon and explained the problem. They have arranged for me to send the phone to them with a refurb on the way, pending the diagnosis of my phone

will keep you posted as to what happens from here

cheers
Brett

mestevie
18th April 2009, 06:21 PM
I guess Gold Coast Store a little too late for you huh?

Have you tried the 40% battery solution that has been posted on the apple forums ?

I tried it before I took my handset back but it made no difference, but many others have reported some success.

I wonder if Apple will make a move on fixing this before 3.0.

I also am curious as to how many Australian handsets are affected. There seem to be a few ppl with this issue in the USA - I have been watching the trend reporting on twitter - I guess heaps more handsets in play there...

flyboyoz
19th April 2009, 08:08 PM
Have you tried the 40% battery solution that has been posted on the apple forums ?

What solution is that can i ask? Still no fix to my problem...

mestevie
19th April 2009, 08:26 PM
What solution is that can i ask? Still no fix to my problem...

Many believe it is a wifi chip overheating issue and have found that wifi will work by letting the battery drain to 40%. For some this gets wifi going.

not really a full solution but it's something.

Snow Leopard
19th April 2009, 08:45 PM
iPhone or iPod Touch is not connecting to WI-FI

1: Make sure both your iPhone/iPod Touch & airport are running the latest firmware?

2: Are any other devices connecting to your network? if not, you may have a corrupt airport base station.

3: If the WI-FI setting is greyed out, your iPhone or iPod Touch's Airport cart is faulty and may need to be replaced.

4: How many devices do you have on your network? if you have more than 12, sometimes this may result in low signal to each product, making it unable to connect.

5: If this problem is to do with an iphone, is it an iphone or iphone 3G?

flyboyoz
21st April 2009, 09:31 AM
OK a quick update. I took my phone back to apple today (melbourne).
The guy looked at it, checked it for water damage (which there was none).
Then gave me a new phone on the spot. He said while not common they were seeing a few phones with this problem. He did a diagnostic check with his whiz bang little thing and it didn't even read there was a WI FI chip in the phone. He said it was coincidence that it has been since the software update and doesn't believe that this has anything to do with it.
In short if your WI FI option in settings is GREYED out , then take it back to apple as it probably is stuffed. Have to admit the genius guy at apple was very helpful and I was very impressed with the service and quick decision to give me a new phone.

abure
27th April 2009, 12:00 PM
I have been having trouble with my phone, that when using wifi, it times out constantly. doesnt matter if I use Twitteriffic, FB, mail or Safari, they all time out.

I tried turning wifi on and off, as well as restarting the phone, neither of which helped.

Any suggestions?

Brett05
27th April 2009, 09:51 PM
quick update
i received my replacement iphone today. unlocked with firmware 2.2.1 and my wi-fi works just fine now. Australia Post were a little slow in getting the phone to apple. I phoned apple, they were going to wait one more day, then send me the replacement phone. Then they would chase up the other with Aus Post. Phone arrived at apple the next day and they pushed it through for me. Phone arrived/inspected and new one sent all in the same day, with a follow up phone call from apple to keep me up to date on what had happened.
the service was great once again
thanks apple

Snow Leopard
7th May 2009, 06:21 PM
my WI FI option in settings is GREYED out

this happened to me when it rained down on my ipod touch 2g... luckily because i'm a good friend of Mac1, i got a replacement!