PDA

View Full Version : Transferring data between two laptops

Dunlar
2nd April 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi guys

A simple query I think, but I don't have a clue what the answer is! I have a white MacBook that's maybe 3 years old. I'm planning to buy a new aluminium MacBook and want to transfer data from the old to the new. I know I need to use a FireWire cable between the two, but I've noticed you can buy 6 pin to 4 pin, 6 to 6, etc, etc and don't have a clue which cable I need.

Help please!

Cheers

Duncan

macrich
2nd April 2009, 12:59 PM
I couldn't tell you, but have you considered buying an interchangeable firewire cable.
I've seen them around at Harris Technology. You can pull the heads off and change them around to suit your needs.

Here's a link for one
G.D.B. International - GoldX GXQF06 QuickConnect FireWire Cable Kit (http://www.gdbint.com.au/Product.aspx?pID=578)

Mikey
2nd April 2009, 01:45 PM
The aluminium macbooks don't have firewire ports (yet... - I bet the next revision has a fw800 port).

Migration assistant is the app to use. I have used migration assistant to transfer all my files, user settings etc from a SuperDuper clone of the hard-drive. If you haven't got a Super Duper backup clone of your macbook, I suggest you get one anyway - check out the "oh shit I didn't back up" threads on MacTalk.

When you set up your new macbook, it will ask you if you want to grab files etc from another mac. Just point it to your Super Duper clone and it will transfer everything pretty easily. Only hiccup may be if you are running different operating systems. If you have 10.5 on your macbook, it shouldn't be a problem. Intel machines can boot over USB, so that gets you past the no FW problem.

Cybix
2nd April 2009, 02:04 PM
use an ethernet cable, it's automagic, and a 1GB port

Dunlar
2nd April 2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was so shocked that teh aluminium MacBook doesn't have a FireWire port that I rang up Apple and they told me what to do. They said enable file sharing through Sys Pref>Sharing, then on the new Mac go to Finder>Shared> select the old Mac and open its Finder window. Then I drag the folders manually from one finder window to the other. I was told to link them using an ethernet cable.

Does all that sound sensible?

Cybix
2nd April 2009, 02:17 PM
isn't that what I just said?

Dunlar
2nd April 2009, 02:21 PM
My posting overlapped with your first one Cybix.

Cybix
2nd April 2009, 02:29 PM
good call. an ethernet cable should 'just work', do the file sharing thing from sys prefs and you should be sweet to go.

yeah it sucks the macbook has no FW port. I'd buy one if it did...

Lutze
2nd April 2009, 02:49 PM
good call. an ethernet cable should 'just work', do the file sharing thing from sys prefs and you should be sweet to go.

yeah it sucks the macbook has no FW port. I'd buy one if it did...

Slightly OT - but on topic to that...

Why use a slower protocol when a perfectly faster one is available? (I should add that my iMac has just been saved by target disk mode use of my Macbooks Superdrive.)