PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else a proud owner of icecube enclosures?

purana
20th January 2004, 03:34 PM
Just purchased my first firewire400/usb2 icecube enclosure. Been looking at one of these for about 2 weeks. Figured it would make a good external drive to use now on the PC and then use it on the emac later in the year.

I will be installing a 120gb seagate 8mb cache drive in the next few days..

A friend in the US advised me that icecube is the best, don't buy anything else. So I took the plunge.

Any other happy owners?

Disko
20th January 2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah, i think i might have the same one as you. I've got a Western Digital 80gig JB series in it with 8meg cache.

Yesterday, i bought my boss the new FW800 one with a 120gig WD JB in it.

purana
20th January 2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jan 20 2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah, i think i might have the same one as you. I've got a Western Digital 80gig JB series in it with 8meg cache.

Yesterday, i bought my boss the new FW800 one with a 120gig WD JB in it.
Just order the f400/usb2 model.. and when I saw price drop $20 I was like excellent just the right time. I was going to order mid-late this week. So it was great timing.

I should get my drive Thursday for it, a friend is going to get it from a place near him as its $150 for a 120gb 8mb cache seagate.. I could get it a bit cheaper, but can't waste time on weekend going for a drive as I am hosting a bbq

I am all excited.. :))

Comet
22nd January 2004, 01:59 AM
I just went with the FW400 model. I wasn't sure if I really needed the fw800, and USB2.0 isn't really useful if they can't provide a constant throughput. Anyhow, mine I think was like $129. I purchased a 160 gig seagate 8mb for like $200. I'm very happy with my setup. I initially thought that these cases looked really cheap compared to the aluminium of maxtor and lacie, but I'm really like this baby. And apparently this is the OWC case that everyone in the US says is the best...

purana
22nd January 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 22 2004, 01:59 AM
I just went with the FW400 model. I wasn't sure if I really needed the fw800, and USB2.0 isn't really useful if they can't provide a constant throughput. Anyhow, mine I think was like $129. I purchased a 160 gig seagate 8mb for like $200. I'm very happy with my setup. I initially thought that these cases looked really cheap compared to the aluminium of maxtor and lacie, but I'm really like this baby. And apparently this is the OWC case that everyone in the US says is the best...
Whats OWC mean?

Well I got the usb2/firewire400 as I want to use it on my PC's now, and when I finally get my mac (looks to be emac at this stage) I will use it with that as external storage. Might buy another case and convert my other 120gb drive sitting in pc, as I suspect I will end up using the emac as my main machine. And keep my PC with its 60gb drive for games :)

My case arrived today. About 10:30am. Quite impressed. Bit different to the pics on the site. ie. no firewire type logo on the case itself.. just clear with silver/chrome inside/backing. Looks nice. I hope when I buy another its exactly the same. Otherwise I might not buy another one. Guess I will have to photo mine and be sure epowermac can supply same unit in due time.

I am stuck at work for another few hours, and when i get home tonight I can't go visit my mate who bought my 120gb drive today until 8pm. So by about 8:30pm or so, I should have it all installed and maybe hooked upto my pc. I think Friday night I will be removing my case on the PC and installing the firewire ports and ribbon cable onto the mainboard.

Much prefer to use firewire, but I guess usb2 will do for now.

kudos to epowermac for excellent service.

macropus
23rd January 2004, 08:04 PM
Had mine 7 months now, no problems, don&#39;t know how you could survive without external firewire drive. Mine&#39;s a 120g WD 8mb, purchased from <www.http://www.epowermac.com.au>

purana
27th January 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by macropus@Jan 23 2004, 08:04 PM
Had mine 7 months now, no problems, don&#39;t know how you could survive without external firewire drive. Mine&#39;s a 120g WD 8mb, purchased from <www.http://www.epowermac.com.au>
I have mine at work with me today, doing some tinkering with the imac here. Its working as you&#39;d expect.

Still impressing me. So much for crappy usb2 being better on paper. In real world terms its pretty crap ;)

Shawry
29th January 2004, 11:54 AM
I dont have an Icecube case (i have seen them around though), but i got myself a cheepy USB2/Firewire400 case mid way through last year and its purring along nicely. I use it mainly for Uni on the Macs there, but also dump a heap of crap onto it at home&#33;

Is the additional speed on the Firewire800 ports actually worth the cost? I didnt think that a normal PATA HDD could make use of the extra bandwidth.

mbd
29th January 2004, 03:24 PM
A friend of mine has a Lacie fw800 hard disk, and it copies files pretty much twice as quickly as a normal fw400 (i.e., around 2gb/minute or so).

Comet
29th January 2004, 05:42 PM
Mine has the Firewire pic on the top so I don&#39;t know why yours doesn&#39;t.

OWC is apparently the company that produces it, and macpower is the company that distributes it? I don&#39;t quite know, but either way, mine is all good :)

purana
30th January 2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 29 2004, 05:42 PM
Mine has the Firewire pic on the top so I don&#39;t know why yours doesn&#39;t.

OWC is apparently the company that produces it, and macpower is the company that distributes it? I don&#39;t quite know, but either way, mine is all good :)
Mine has no firewire logo, damn and I liked that logo too. Wonder if you can shove logo inside.. might design one and shove it on the inside.

Might ask epowermac why they changed. At the end of the day I still love it. 1300mb/min transfers on firewire400 rocks my world.

It also looks like I might be getting an ibook 12" instead of an emac. As I think I&#39;d much sooner a portable, and a nice small portable. So firewire drive will be handy to use when its on my desk all the time, and then unplug when I want to go portable and use wireless. Yes I will upgrade to get airport extreme card at purchase.. as I have an old 11Mbps AP which the wife currently uses with her notebook (pc).

All I need now is to find out what bonus I will get from work this year, if any. That will go along way to helping this cause.

Still can&#39;t tell you how much I love these firewire cases.. smokin&#39;

Comet
7th February 2004, 06:20 PM
I&#39;m a bit worried about the heat though.... is it safe to have it on all the time?

Disko
9th February 2004, 09:48 AM
Comet: i&#39;m also a little weary of heat. Especially on the forty degree days that i use it on...

Question
On the back of my FW400, it&#39;s got 2 FW ports, A & B. What is B for? Is that where i&#39;d plug in a different FW device?

DVD Plaza
7th March 2004, 08:53 PM
The concern about heat - is that because people are noticing heat from the IceCube after regular usage, or simply curiosity?

Also, does anyone know for a FACT whether the FireWire 800 version of the IceCube supports SATA drives? I&#39;ve only found two references thus far, nothing more, so I&#39;m not convinced.

I&#39;d like to install a 10,000RPM Western Digital Raptor into one - yeeaaaaaahhhhh baby&#33;&#33;&#33;

Disko
7th March 2004, 09:06 PM
Every day i take my FW HD to work, and use it all day. At the end of the day, it is quite hot - that&#39;s what has me concerned about heat.

DVD Plaza
7th March 2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Mar 7 2004, 09:06 PM
Every day i take my FW HD to work, and use it all day. At the end of the day, it is quite hot - that&#39;s what has me concerned about heat.
Oh crap - you&#39;ve just shattered my 10,000RPM SATA plans... unless at the end of each day I obsorb the heat off the IceCube by cooking dinner on top of it... :(

Disko
8th March 2004, 12:10 AM
Hey, welcome to AppleTalkAu DVD Plaza - i&#39;ve seen you posting on whirlpool. It&#39;s good to see you here. :)

thebag
8th March 2004, 07:09 AM
Whats OWC mean?

OWC is a company based in the US that supply apple stuff, they also make their own Firewire stuff and Processor Upgrades.

Have ordered stuff from them in the past and if you decide to order from the US they are pretty good to deal with.

I would generally prefer to deal locally but sometimes the price is prohibitive.

Regards Mark

Jimbo
8th March 2004, 01:51 PM
yeah i got one from applecentre with a 80 wd 8mb cahce drive in it, its been working fine for around a year now, i took it to school every day for 6 months in my bag on the bus too, so they&#39;re pretty reliable. mine gets bloody hot too, i don&#39;t know if this is good i may cut a few more holes in the case

but if you open your computer now and get the hdd out, garanteed, unless you jsut booted, it will be warmish, and hot at the end of a day.

pipsqeek
8th March 2004, 06:33 PM
Anything that has reciprocating (spelling??) and rotating mass as well as converting electrical pulses and current into machanical movement will produce a significant amount of heat.

Especially when enclosed in a case of sorts.

Steve

PeterPE
13th March 2004, 01:44 PM
I ended up with the Maxtor FW400 external drive. Can&#39;t fault it really. Don&#39;t use it that much ATM. But it&#39;s very handy for occasional backup needs. Its chief use down the track will be in AV editing.

250GB x 8MBcache x 7,200rpm assures reasonable performance. It stays pretty cool. :rolleyes:

Currawong
13th March 2004, 08:12 PM
I just bought a FW800/400/USB2 Icecube from a local Apple Centre to put my Seagate Barracuda V in so I could use it with my new Powerbook. It hasn&#39;t tested as fast as I had hoped. I might try it with USB 2 to see what the difference in speed is.

jameso
15th March 2004, 08:56 AM
my firewire enclosure is an apple iPod. i am quite happy=)

jameso

Jimbo
13th September 2004, 02:59 AM
does anyone know the biggest drive one can put in these, i&#39;m thinking of getting a 250 gb western digital drive but i heard the 9111 chipset prevents the drives being recognised as bigger than 137gb?

Any ideas?

Currawong
13th September 2004, 08:01 AM
I think the 137Gb limit had to do with old controllers in some Macs (and PC&#39;s). As far as I know, there isn&#39;t a limit for any currently shipping chipsets that I know of. Plenty of 250Gb external FW drives out there.

Jimbo
13th September 2004, 12:12 PM
yeah, i&#39;ma go with that one, get a 250 and if it dont work in there, put it in the tower, and take the 120gb out andd use him....

Done

tortoise128
15th September 2004, 06:17 PM
I have 3 Firewire 400s and 1 800. They are daisy-chained as back-up drives. These are seriously well made devices. You take one apart and you marvel at the over-engineering put into to them...they have clips and screw everywhere (I did have a problem with the feet falling off until I superglued them).

Anyway, I did have these in a room that regularly heats up to more than 30C, and sometimes mid 30s. The drives didn&#39;t have any problems at all (and some of the drives are stilling being used 18 months later).

I suspect that these conditions are fairly benign, compared to a hard drive inside a PC case.