PDA

View Full Version : Repairing an Apple 65W Powerbook Adapter

DarkAvenger
1st April 2009, 08:10 PM
The Apple 65W A1021 Adapter which came with my bought new Powerbook G4 Dual Layer needs repairing. Recently I noticed the white tube which covers the connecter had split all the way along on both sides (plastic fatique?) and the connecter was slightly loose as a result (you needed to fiddle with it a bit to get the charger light to show) Then last week the adapter went dead. I took the clear bit off the end and slid the tube back and discovered the white wire has become separated from its connecter. I do not know if it is simply meant to sit in there held by the pressure from the now completely split tube cover to hold it in place or whether it is meant to be soldered in place as the black wire is still securely connected).

I would like to know if this is a common issue with these adapters or did I get a dud and is it possible for Apple to repair such a problem ie reafix the wire and replace the completely split tube cover? I would like to avoid having to buy a brand new adapter when this one could be repaired.

Brains
2nd April 2009, 01:24 AM
Apple do not repair power adaptors, they replace them.

You can make an attempt at rebuilding the connector yourself, but in your shoes I would retire the broken one and replace it outright, either with a new Apple-badged replacement ($90+), or a much cheaper but fully compliant aftermarket unit ($30).

samwalk
2nd April 2009, 01:43 AM
Check out ebay. You can get a genuine apple charger for much cheaper than the price apple charge.

~Coxy
2nd April 2009, 10:22 AM
It's a fairly common problem but Apple will not repair it for you. You can repair it yourself by cracking open the case (don't worry about being gentle, they're not meant to come apart) and resoldering the wires. Then you'll need to epoxy or duct tape it back together.

freefallgrue
5th April 2009, 07:23 PM
Apple hasn't made a decent power brick since the MC68k days, it's one of the joys of being a Mac user. If they don't just stop working, they spark and/or explode and/or catch fire.

takamine
5th April 2009, 09:01 PM
My friend's Powerbook G4 charger stopped working late last year. I helped her purchase another charger from Epowermac.com.au. I think it was the "Newertech 65W Laptop Power Adapter". It was $70 shipped express. Not sure if they still stock it though. I purchased it over the phone so it's worth a try.

I'd avoid anything generic over ebay. If it's genuine then I would consider. But since Epowermac specializes in Mac products, I just went with their generic version and it works fine. Her Powerbook G4 is still going strong.

cosmichobo
5th April 2009, 09:11 PM
Apple hasn't made a decent power brick since the MC68k days, it's one of the joys of being a Mac user. If they don't just stop working, they spark and/or explode and/or catch fire.

Um so - what did the MC68k belong to?

I know the yoyo had lots of problems... I've got 3... only 2 work.

freefallgrue
5th April 2009, 10:04 PM
Um so - what did the MC68k belong to?

I know the yoyo had lots of problems... I've got 3... only 2 work.

MC68k = processors preceding the PowerPC generation. I never had a problem with my PowerBook 180, 540c or 550c power bricks, but I'm pretty sure my 2400c/240 and 3400c/240 both blew one up. My G3s definitely did, one of so in a spectacular fashion (sparks, fire, and mayhem), and my G4s as well. The Intel machines continue to have their failures, as well.