PDA

View Full Version : Repairing permissions - same files being repaired over & over

mustgroove
1st April 2009, 06:42 PM
Lately I've noticed that when I repair permissions, it's the same files that keep appearing the log of files being "repaired"... which leads me to believe they're not actually being repaired at all.

It's at the point where I can repair permissions once, generating a log of repaired files, and then if I repair permissions again immediately afterwards (whether I've closed and reopened Disk Utility in the mean time or not), the same exact list of files appears as being repaired.

Anyone know what's going on?

csuter
1st April 2009, 07:24 PM
Lately I've noticed that when I repair permissions, it's the same files that keep appearing the log of files being "repaired"...

I wouldn’t worry about it; in all the time I’ve owned a Mac, I’ve never needed to repair permissions. I would only run it if I ever encountered a problem that looked like a permissions problem (which I haven’t).

On the other hand, Disk Utility’s “Verify Disk” feature is useful and that is worth running on a regular basis.