PDA

View Full Version : To Do List - in new 3.0

Mongrel
1st April 2009, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know if there will be a To Do List that will sync in the new OS?

Cheers
-J

MissionMan
1st April 2009, 04:57 PM
Just us Things (OSX and Iphone Apps). Its awesome. Its more than they would give you with a To Do list anyway and the desktop app syncs with the to do items in ical.

Standard To Do's are always a nightmare because there is no way to structure them properly.

Back2Bedlam
1st April 2009, 05:12 PM
Just us Things (OSX and Iphone Apps). Its awesome. Its more than they would give you with a To Do list anyway and the desktop app syncs with the to do items in ical.

Standard To Do's are always a nightmare because there is no way to structure them properly.

Yeah, but US $49.95 for the Desktop App, and AUD $12.99 for the iPhone App, is a lot of money, especially when there is an inbuilt To Do in Mac OS X.

If you want the App with the most, there is OmniFocus, which is US $79.95 for the Desktop App, and AUD $23.99 for the iPhone App, but has the ability to sync thru MobileMe to other Mac's.

There is an app called ToDo, and with a small plugin on your desktop, you can sync todo's seamlessly from iPhone to Mac.

MissionMan
1st April 2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, but US $49.95 for the Desktop App, and AUD $12.99 for the iPhone App, is a lot of money, especially when there is an inbuilt To Do in Mac OS X.

If you want the App with the most, there is OmniFocus, which is US $79.95 for the Desktop App, and AUD $23.99 for the iPhone App, but has the ability to sync thru MobileMe to other Mac's.

There is an app called ToDo, and with a small plugin on your desktop, you can sync todo's seamlessly from iPhone to Mac.

As I said, the standard to do's won't meet a lot of people's requirements. Its not a replacement for "to do's", its an upgrade to it. The standard to do's are pretty basic.

Incidentally, I don't rate Omnifocus. Its a ripoff. If you compare the pricing on Omnifocus vs other apps, its clear they have over priced their product - almost twice the price of the competition. I also prefer the look at feel of Things.

Mongrel
1st April 2009, 06:40 PM
I think you guys are missing the point.

I use the ToDos that come with Entourage (MyDay) They are so handy to put things it to keep my days in order. I could use the calendar, but I don't have specific times that I want things done.

I don't see why this is so freakin hard for Apple to implement... just like every other syncing PDA on the market.

GEEEZ!

-J

Lutze
1st April 2009, 06:50 PM
1. Get a Gmail (http://www.gmail.com) account

2. Use your gmail account to use Google Tasks.

3. Enter tasks into this (it can be activated in the labs section of gmail)

4. Visit gmail.com/tasks on your iPhone - there is your task list - and it can be synced from desktop browser to iPhone and back again.

ciprol
2nd April 2009, 08:27 AM
I don't see why this is so freakin hard for Apple to implement... just like every other syncing PDA on the market.
Agreed. But AAPL seemed to "Think Different" on this. :sad:

Mongrel
2nd April 2009, 08:32 AM
Agreed. But AAPL seemed to "Think Different" on this. :sad:

I know!! And that is probably my only gripe with the phone. I love it... except that last bit.

Kind of how one loves one's wife. She is great, except for her big ass!!!

ciprol
2nd April 2009, 05:29 PM
Kind of how one loves one's wife. She is great, except for her big ass!!!

Some people consider that as a feature! :confused:

DJY
2nd April 2009, 06:05 PM
1. Get a Gmail (http://www.gmail.com) account

2. Use your gmail account to use Google Tasks.

3. Enter tasks into this (it can be activated in the labs section of gmail)

4. Visit gmail.com/tasks on your iPhone - there is your task list - and it can be synced from desktop browser to iPhone and back again.

Unfortunately this option, and others currently available requires you to be "online" or in a coverage area.
I was using Evernote for Note syncing...
but when as I spend a lot of time on planes - I find I update / create / add a heap of Notes and To Do Lists - whilst I'm flying.

With Apple telling us Notes will sync - I will keep using Notes.
I have "Notes" which are ongoing To Do Lists.

NeoRicen
2nd April 2009, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately this option, and others currently available requires you to be "online" or in a coverage area.
I was using Evernote for Note syncing...
but when as I spend a lot of time on planes - I find I update / create / add a heap of Notes and To Do Lists - whilst I'm flying.

With Apple telling us Notes will sync - I will keep using Notes.
I have "Notes" which are ongoing To Do Lists.
You don't need to be online for Things.

Mongrel
2nd April 2009, 07:21 PM
So this begs the question....

What the hell is wrong with Apple?? Why would you not sync a To Do list? WTF?

Lutze
2nd April 2009, 07:26 PM
So this begs the question....

What the hell is wrong with Apple?? Why would you not sync a To Do list? WTF?

Possibly because they knew what the power of a good web browser can do when offline - as has been demo'ed by Google. Offline content connection with email (and I'd guess that tasks will work just the same) is coming. Oh and the fact that the iPhone, when sold as intended, is supposed to be always connected.

Mongrel
2nd April 2009, 09:33 PM
Possibly because they knew what the power of a good web browser can do when offline - as has been demo'ed by Google. Offline content connection with email (and I'd guess that tasks will work just the same) is coming. Oh and the fact that the iPhone, when sold as intended, is supposed to be always connected.

Yes - I see your point.

However... I don't want to open 5 different applications to fulfil my daily needs.

eg: Entourage users would have their Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and To Do in one app - which is pretty much their entire work day in one spot. Why in gods name would they want to open another application for 1/5th of what they want to do.

I don't want to have to be here working away, and go... oh yeah.. no I have to open a browser window, and enter my password, and then copy and paste text from my email - just to create a To Do.

It's called productivity... and the less time I spend fluffing with other apps, the more time I have to actually be productive - AND I would still like it linked to my email and contacts. otherwise I would have to switch back between apps, just to look up the contact associated with the To Do.

Get it yet??