PDA

View Full Version : 2.66 to 2.93 + 5400rpm to 7200rpm. Worth extra $550?

macrob
31st March 2009, 12:32 AM
OK it's late, so I'll get right to the point.

I've had my eye on a unibody MBP 2.66 standard spec, but am curious to here others thoughts on the upgrades: to 2.93 and up to 7200rpm.

The upgrade will cost approx. $550 (current edu prices), so is it worth it?

2.93 - Does it make a real world difference?
7200 - Same question

Also, will either / both have an adverse impact on battery life?

PROPOSED USAGE:
Essentially looking to replace a Windows desktop with some Apple goodness and the joys of its bundled software [iLife], and add FCP into the mix at some stage as well (hopefully sooner rather than later :).

FINANCES:
Could I afford it? Yes..just...You can get by on one kidney right?

But I can also think of allot of other things I could spend the money on (hell it's half way(ish) to FCP! Although I suspect my wife may want to spend it elsewhere) But having said that, I think I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future (3+ years), so I definitely want it to be fit for purpose (and then some!)

I know there are much more pressing questions out there in the world, but if you fancy chipping in with your thoughts and experiences, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

MacRob

halledise
31st March 2009, 05:03 AM
faster is always better in both processor and hdd, yet as always it depends ultimately upon your usage.

if you are writing, general browsing, doing iTunes & iPhoto type stuff, then there isn't really a need for the additional speed you speak of.

if however you're using Adobe Suite, Mathematica and other processor intensive applications, then by all means.

as it is the 2.66 comes with 4gb memory so it'll fairly fly anyways.
if that proves to be not quite enough, then you can always drop in a 7200 spin hdd down the track (5 minute operation) and sell your 5400 on ebay (thus recouping 70-80% of the cost of the upgrade) or alternatively buy an enclosure and use it as a backup disc.

you can always keep the $550 you speak of to take the cheese & kisses away for a pleasant weekend, thus having a win both ways.

Keljian
1st April 2009, 06:26 PM
2.66 vs 2.93 is not a big jump..
We're talking 10% at best. I couldn't justify the extra cost ($400)

Macs are not very resource intensive.

Otoh, $100 more for the 320gig 7200rpm drive with everything installed and ready to go was worth it to me.

I haven't noticed any dramatic losses in battery life (still get the full 5 hours or so out of my 15" mbp.)

ZAK248313
1st April 2009, 07:05 PM
I'd say it'd be worth it.

macrob
4th April 2009, 10:45 PM
Many thanks to all those who responded - much appreciated. I'm still mulling over the purchase - although I think its a case of which one to choose, rather than IF I'm going to get it. Not to mention I'm still continuing to save the cash!.

In the meantime, if anyone with a Unibody 2.93GHz MPB 7200 rpm would care to share their experiences with it (good or bad), I'd love to read them - even if it would make me a little jealous!

Thanks again for the contributions

Macrob.

Cybix
4th April 2009, 11:13 PM
buy the more bombed out model for sure. I'm thinking the same thing at the moment. Probably keep the 4GB ram for now though... 2.93Ghz with the 7200rpm drive, win.

macrob
4th April 2009, 11:51 PM
buy the more bombed out model for sure. I'm thinking the same thing at the moment. Probably keep the 4GB ram for now though... 2.93Ghz with the 7200rpm drive, win.

Hmm...I assume Cybix that you are looking at the 17" as you infer that the RAM can be extended.

I'm personally looking at the 15" MBP as my pocket definitely can't stretch to the 17".

If and when you do get your fully tricked out 17" MBP, be sure to let us know how you get on with :D

Cheers,

MacRob.

NeoRicen
5th April 2009, 12:32 AM
Hmm...I assume Cybix that you are looking at the 17" as you infer that the RAM can be extended.

I'm personally looking at the 15" MBP as my pocket definitely can't stretch to the 17".

If and when you do get your fully tricked out 17" MBP, be sure to let us know how you get on with :D

Cheers,

MacRob.
Apple is telling people that the high-end 15" model can take 8GB, and is even selling 8GB kits on their site. Apparently no one can afford it though, as no one seems to have tried.