PDA

View Full Version : Qu: Telstra 3G & NextG

jodihansen
30th March 2009, 08:30 PM
I had a family member say to me that they switched from Telstra 3G to Telstra NextG. I thought that NextG was Telstra's implementation of 3G, but on a different band (850) and faster, instead of the 3G that other networks implement on a 2100 frequency. So, my question is whether or not Telstra have a 3G and a NextG network? Telstra had my family member change SIM cards to access NextG.

Thanks,
Jodi

decryption
30th March 2009, 08:34 PM
Telstra do have a 2100Mhz network (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/network_info/3g.html), but it's pretty limited compared to the 850mhz network. If your phone supports the 850mhz (NextG) frequency, you don't need a new SIM, it should just work on that 850mhz frequency if you tell it to.

jodihansen
30th March 2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks Decryption, I guess what confused me with this was the fact that they were told that they needed a new SIM card. I thought that perhaps they had actually upgraded from perhaps 2G, but they assured me that it was 3G.

NeoRicen
30th March 2009, 09:04 PM
In terms of Mobile Technology for Internet from slower to faster it's:

GPRS<EDGE<UMTS<HSDPA

GPRS and EDGE are usually just called 2G. EDGE never really caught on in Australia so no one made a new brand for it.

UMTS is 3G, and is what everyone calls 3G.

HSDPA is a faster form of 3G, and Telstra decided the speed increase deserved a new brand, and called it NextG. Optus calls it 'yes'G. Three and Vodafone just call it 3G, because as far as I can tell, their 3G networks have no UMTS leftover, and it's all HSDPA now, so they have no need to distinguish between 3G technologies.

Lumus
30th March 2009, 10:06 PM
Both Decryption and NeoRicen are for the most part true. HSDPA is an extention to the existing UMTS infrastructure (hence why a lot of places refer to it as 3.5G) and cannot exist without it. Telstra use both a 2100 MHz band (which all other carriers currently have, and Telstra also share it with Hutch 3) and an 850MHz band branded as NextG.

The reason for the 850MHz band is because the old CDMA network was on the same band; it was easier and cheaper to switch the existing towers to UMTS (and hence HSDPA) on that frequency than to build new towers everywhere. (Basically the tower remained untouched, it was the ground station that was updated with new hardware).

Optus and Vodafone are both expanding their existing 3G networks with a new 900MHz band (which is utilising existing 2G towers but adding to them, not replacing them) in order to facilitate customers using Mobile Broadband outside of the capital cities. It isn't exclusively available to MBB as there are a number of handsets (e.g. Nokia 6121) that will pick up this network and will offer 3G services where most handset's will not. Also just to clarify this won't be affecting or replacing existing 2G services that are available.

Telstra have an odd habit of restricting what networks can be used on what SIM card (and Telstra also charge for SIM swaps AFAIK). As such an old Telstra OTA SIM will only access 2G networks, a 3G SIM will access 2G and 3G networks but not NextG, and a NextG branded SIM will access all of them. Optus and Vodafone's current SIM cards will work with any network they do or will have (and also charge nothing for SIM swaps).

Sorry for the long winded answer but having worked in the industry for a while you kinda get carried away...... :D

Exocet
30th March 2009, 10:19 PM
Lumus is pretty much on the money. Telstra's 3G network is the network shared with 3 via the 3GIS partnership on 2100MHz. NextG is Telstra's own network on 850MHz. You will need a new SIM going from 2G->3G or 3.5G, but you do not need a new SIM to go from 3G->3.5 :)

Lumus
30th March 2009, 10:30 PM
Lumus is pretty much on the money.

YAY!!! I finally get something right without making an a$$ of myself! :D

wolfie
30th March 2009, 10:44 PM
so if i have a prepaid next G sim card on a unlocked iphone, does it automatically go onto the faster band or do i have to go into iphone settings and put it on something like 3 telstra as opposed to automatic?

Exocet
30th March 2009, 10:53 PM
so if i have a prepaid next G sim card on a unlocked iphone, does it automatically go onto the faster band or do i have to go into iphone settings and put it on something like 3 telstra as opposed to automatic?
It will automatically choose the fastest band available. Also, don't put it on 3Telstra as that is the 3GIS network, and 2100MHz. Just set it to Automatic and just as the setting name implies, it will automatically look after which band is best.

Exocet
30th March 2009, 10:56 PM
YAY!!! I finally get something right without making an a$$ of myself! :D

Just to clarify further to your post, Telstra only charge for SIM swaps if its lost. Stolen or wear-and-tear is free. There is also a physical difference between 2G and 3G SIMs - a 3G SIM is actually a USIM. 3G Branded Telstra SIMs will work with NextG Branded handsets perfectly fine.

Lumus
31st March 2009, 08:00 AM
3G Branded Telstra SIMs will work with NextG Branded handsets perfectly fine.

That I already knew but my understanding is that a NextG phone will only access the NextG network with a NextG SIM card, otherwise it will fall back to whatever other networks are available. Having said that I've never used a NextG phone (and never intend to) so if I'm wrong then I've learnt something today! YAY FOR LEARNING! :D

NeoRicen
31st March 2009, 04:34 PM
Decryption's response is the more correct]
Why? I didn't say anything that contradicted him... or you.

Lumus
31st March 2009, 05:42 PM
I have no idea why I said it, it just seemed right at the time. There is one minor mistake tho.

because as far as I can tell, their 3G networks have no UMTS leftover, and it's all HSDPA now, so they have no need to distinguish between 3G technologies.

This is not quite true. HSDPA is an extension of UMTS so it requires it to function.

NeoRicen
31st March 2009, 06:02 PM
I have no idea why I said it, it just seemed right at the time. There is one minor mistake tho.

This is not quite true. HSDPA is an extension of UMTS so it requires it to function.
Yeah I understand that, bad wording on my part.