PDA

View Full Version : Are replacement Iphone 3G's locked?

justynn991
30th March 2009, 04:51 PM
Howdy.
I got my Iphone from Ebay in October of 08'. The guy who i bought it from won it off Fox FM therefore was not locked under his name.
When the silent ringer switch fell off around a month ago. Optus refused to help regardless of the fact that I made out that I was the winner of the competition. Proof of purchase is required, I contacted the seller and he said he had never received any documentation. So after reading up on the internet. I went to the Genius Bar, where after less that 10minutes I left with a new replacement Iphone.
I am looking to transfer to Telstra, however my question is, when I put my brothers Telstra 3G sim in my phone i get asked to connect to iTunes. I wasn't sure if this is the next step, I just didn't want to lose all my Iphone data so I returned to my Optus sim and did not connect it.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a replacement Iphone directly from the Apple shop and whether it was locked, and if I should proceed with plugging my Iphone into Itunes.
Thank you in advance for any help given.
Justin.

Beau
30th March 2009, 05:55 PM
Locked to whatever carrier the original iPhone was locked to.

If your iPhone was unlocked, so will the replacement.
If your iPhone was locked to Optus, the replacement is also locked to Optus.

The_Hawk
30th March 2009, 06:16 PM
Locked to whatever carrier the original iPhone was locked to.

If your iPhone was unlocked, so will the replacement.
If your iPhone was locked to Optus, the replacement is also locked to Optus.

Apple told me the same thing when I got my new one last week...

I take it Apple automatically transfer the IMEI to the "unlocked" list when you check the old one in and check out your new replacement?

the_doctor
30th March 2009, 10:25 PM
I've wanted to know the answer to this question too. I initially bought my phone outright with Telstra and then paid to have it officially unlocked and have been uses it on my Optus SIM.

If my phone was damaged and replaced by Apple would the replacement also be unlocked?

Keving
31st March 2009, 05:31 PM
I had an issue where my iPhone wouldnt find 3's network, but it could find every other network. Apple sent me a fully unlocked iPhone that worked fine.