PDA

View Full Version : Healthy mac software and backup?

elliptrical
30th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Hi all
I've had my macbook since 2007 and it's still powering along but i've got to the part now where I think I should look into purchasing some software that can do a system clean up and a back up. I know, I know... dumb questions, but I'm a complete novice and I just lined up at Chatswood apple centre for 20 minutes without getting any help..very busy busy people.

Can anybody help me out with some software recommendations?

What's the best product for a system clean up and back up. I'm using OS 10.4.11 so not leopard.

Oh, and does this OS run time machine? I was told to use that as a back up but I don't think I have it.

Please feel free to move my post to the correct place on this forum - probably the complete idiot ooops.. novice section would do me:p

Thanks for your help in advance.

NeoRicen
30th March 2009, 03:39 PM
Can't answer most of your questions, but Time Machine is a Leopard feature, so no, you don't have it. Although there are apps available that do similar things (don't ask me what they are, I don't use them).

mwot
30th March 2009, 04:21 PM
Super Duper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) is a good software app to make backups to an external HDD. i'd start with that. the free version will allow you to make manual backups of your Macbook, while a paid version allows automatic scheduled backups.

Or, you may be interested in an online backup solution. i use SugarSync (sugarsync.com) and it saved my bacon when my Macbook's HDD failed mid last week, guaranteeing i had an uptodate online backup of all my important files from my Macbook.

iCarllovesapple
30th March 2009, 06:52 PM
Hi. :)
What I'd do is.. Buy Leopard (You can get it on Ebay for around 100.00 - It is well worth it! ;) After you install it (And have a play with all of the cool features) backup to an external Hard drive. - Time Machine will NOT backup programs - or iPhoto event names! So, you will need to re-install all of your programs. - No big deal.
if you use iPhoto - (And if you have event names) you will need to re-type those event names.

cowgz
30th March 2009, 07:00 PM
Time Machine will NOT backup programs

Do you mean programs as in applications?

If so, I think you're wrong.

NeoRicen
30th March 2009, 07:38 PM
Time Machine backs up apps. It backs up everything, including iPhoto events. The only thing that didn't copy over when I restored from a Time Machine backup was my iTunes authorisations.

elliptrical
30th March 2009, 08:45 PM
ok, thanks everyone.

So all I really want to do is back up my photos and music files. Nothing else really matters - except maybe bookmarks in firefox. The online back ups look good but what does it mean by an external harddrive? do I need to buy an actual 2nd hardrive. Sorry for my ignorance. Can I go to the apple store and buy a back up system there? What would people recommend? Also, does the mac really need a program such as disk warrior or equivalent? would a 'clean up' create more problems?

p.s I rather like my OS. We have Leopard at work and it doesn't seem that special - also it crashes sometimes.

ClockWork
30th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi all
I've had my macbook since 2007 and it's still powering along but i've got to the part now where I think I should look into purchasing some software that can do a system clean up and a back up. I know, I know... dumb questions, but I'm a complete novice and I just lined up at Chatswood apple centre for 20 minutes without getting any help..very busy busy people.

Can anybody help me out with some software recommendations?

What's the best product for a system clean up and back up. I'm using OS 10.4.11 so not leopard.

Oh, and does this OS run time machine? I was told to use that as a back up but I don't think I have it.

Please feel free to move my post to the correct place on this forum - probably the complete idiot ooops.. novice section would do me:p

Thanks for your help in advance.

My advice - from a free-lance Apple troubleshooter, going on 14 years, in Sydney:

You don't need Leopard. Don't bother with the expense of buying and installing a whole new and not so fantastic Operating System.

Best advice here, has been from mwot.

Download SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) and pay the measly $37.00 Australian Dollars for it.

Just like Leopard's Time Machine, it also backs up EVERYTHING. In fact, between Time Machine and SuperDuper!, SuperDuper's smarter, as one can make one flat bootable disk image out of everything on one's Hard Drive, so if the Hard Drive falls to misadventure, SuperDuper! can be opened and grafted straight onto a new Hard Drive, very simply.

Unlike Time Machine, you can choose to set very precise schedules for when you want it to back up, as well as do so when ever you want.

Unlike Time Machine, it won't fill up an External Hard Drive with endless copies of the Hard Drive, until your external drive is completely full, at which point Time Machine starts erasing what went in first, to begin backing up all over things which might be very precious.

SuperDuper! not only looks at what needs to be copied - it also looks at what has been copied to see if anything has changed - if anything is new or different with the files it already has, and it won't back up files over and over again, if it already has them, so it's smart. It checks what it's copying.

Unlike Time Machine, you can choose what you want to back up, including the whole shabang.

It is fast, smart, cheap and easy to use.

Another popular product like Super Duper! is: Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/).
Some say it is even more rigorous in it's supervision of backing up than SuperDuper, yet the pay off is that it's slower.

For general Tiger Clean ups, I would suggest purchasing: TechTool Pro (http://www.micromat.com/) - works with both Tiger and Leopard, and iDefrag (http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php) which is something that can be run across the system over night, and essentially cleans up the way data is stored on your Hard Drive, to make all functions work smoother and faster.

I have one machine running Leopard. The interface is sexy, but it's also shown really buggy behavior. I have disabled Time Machine on it, and use SuperDuper! instead.

My 0.010 Euros worth.

cheers,

cw

ClockWork
30th March 2009, 09:23 PM
ok, thanks everyone.

So all I really want to do is back up my photos and music files. Nothing else really matters - except maybe bookmarks in firefox. The online back ups look good but what does it mean by an external harddrive? do I need to buy an actual 2nd hardrive. Sorry for my ignorance. Can I go to the apple store and buy a back up system there? What would people recommend? Also, does the mac really need a program such as disk warrior or equivalent? would a 'clean up' create more problems?

p.s I rather like my OS. We have Leopard at work and it doesn't seem that special - also it crashes sometimes.

Yes - you require an External Hard Drive. Simplest to see it (metaphorically), as a secondary back up brain, which something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner uses to make an exact copy of your Hard Drive to... in case something awful happens to your Hard Drive.

Essentially, it's a box with a Hard Drive in it, either drawing power from the wall, like your computer, or drawing power from your computer and connected to it by some sort of cable, usually USB or FireWire... though FireWire Drives are more reliable.

Take a look at this very simplified article (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/34587-external-drives-dummies.html) on External Hard Drives. These are the most fault free I have had the pleasure to both use and sell.

cw

elliptrical
30th March 2009, 09:32 PM
Thank you clockwork. That's a great recommendation. I think I'll go with SuperDuper (thanks to mwot too).

So... sorry to ask again....do I need to buy an external hard drive (sort of like Maxtor - a system I had but it died or at least 'one touch' turned into several frustrating touches before I gave up) or does SuperDuper save to another part of my existing hard drive. It's obviously not my area of expertise! But ask me anything about fine arts and I can tell you, LOL.

ok...ignore that...you answered while I posted. Cheers:)

ClockWork
30th March 2009, 10:05 PM
No problem. Maxtor Externals have gained some notority for pushing up the daisies.

Fine Arts Q: Why, apart from having a definite artistic skill background, was Picasso such a lucky lucky bastard?

iCarllovesapple
30th March 2009, 11:11 PM
Time Machine backs up apps. It backs up everything, including iPhoto events. The only thing that didn't copy over when I restored from a Time Machine backup was my iTunes authorisations.

It does NOT copy over iPhone event NAMES. You can say what you want, but I've read it in many places+Ive also experienced it, when I bought my MBP.. Excuse me, as I stand corrected about the apps.. :)

elliptrical
31st March 2009, 05:57 AM
Clockwork: First: Picasso was a colossal egotist. Anybody with a will to shove himself into the limelight like him would be sure to succeed. Second: he came to age in an era when art was rapidly changing (modernism= a new way of invisioning/representing the world). He was a highly gifted artist (as you know) and was able to grasp the new visions of painters like Cezanne and, along with other artists coined new movements e.g Cubism. His genius was to work many styles throughout his career, be prodigious in his out put and, most importantly, have the confidence to keep on doing it. If by lucky you mean he got laid a lot then refer to my first point. Plus, he was a scorpio :D

That's my take anyway. Thanks for asking :p

reemixx
31st March 2009, 10:26 AM
I'll second ClockWork's mention of Carbon Copy Cloner. It's what I use because I'm too much of a cheapskate to fork out for SuperDuper. I've set it for automated backups at certain times of the day to specific hard drives. I also use it for remote backups from my MacBook Air to an external drive connected to my iMac. Works a charm.

SuperDuper's interface is much prettier, though. I also think it's a little faster. Probably a little better. No ads, etc. You get what you pay for. ;)

NeoRicen
21st April 2009, 08:31 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just restored a time machine backup to a new drive, and it copied iPhoto event names. :p