PDA

View Full Version : its locked on telstra, but it doesnt work with telstra sim cards wtf

shortlex
29th March 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Message

Good quality. nice.

Lol... dad's having big trouble with the iPhone... its locked on telstra, but it doesnt work with telstra sim cards wt

I found this 8GB iPhone 3G black from a Penrith Pawnbroker, and I told me friend about as he wanted an iPhone 3G. So his dad saw it, and went to the store and bought it. Now when he placed his Telstra sim card into the iPhone, we can't get it to work, even though it's locked to Telstra.

I'm not sure if you need to unlock it with the carrier to use prepaid sims with an iPhone locked to a post paid, or the other way around. Please help. I am trying to convert my (all PC) friend to the fundamental international inspirational sensation that is the iPhone 3G.

[EDIT] Ops I posted it in the wrong section. Please move to iPhone Help and Support

Trabb
29th March 2009, 09:18 AM
A prepaid Telstra sim will work in a phone locked to Telstra. Are you positive it is Telstra? Go into Settings>General>About and flick down to 'Carrier'. what does that say?

iCameron
29th March 2009, 09:58 AM
The iPhone may be stolen, and deactivated by Telstra

Type into the phone keypad

*#06# and note the number, next step would be to ring Telstra's iPhone support, and check the status of the IMEI.

You may have bought a stolen iPhone. =(

shortlex
29th March 2009, 10:10 AM
Ok I will tell my friend and see what he thinks.

mitty
1st April 2009, 09:55 AM
I had a guy i work with who had a locked Optus iphone. He got it unlocked but the Telstra SIM he got still wouldn't work in it. We tried another sim which DID work. He went to the T shop and got a replacement sim, this ALSO didn't work. He ended up going to the Apple Store and getting a replacement iphone, as apparently for some reason some SIM's just don't work in some iphones. This could be the case here, even if it's unlocked.

Wally
1st April 2009, 12:12 PM
Well seeing its from a pawnbrokers (who puts iPhones at a pawn shop... Seriously!) wouldn't it be most likely stolen?

Aren't the pawnbroker liable for stuff like this?