PDA

View Full Version : Can't get CAT6 working in Mac Pro

poo
28th March 2009, 01:39 PM
Have a Quad Mac Pro networking perfectly (both internet and local network)when connected via CAT5e direct to router.

When I use CAT6 cable via my switch, nothing happens. Network settings simply say 'not connected' and status is 'cable unplugged'. I have tried various CAT6 cables, none work. I have also tested each cable elsewhere in the system (Windows machines), and they work perfectly; in fact they even work fine in my MacBook Pro...

Router & switch are both Netgear

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? It's sure to be something simple knowing me... :mad:

poo
28th March 2009, 05:29 PM
I should add that my router runs at 10/100 while the switch is 10/100/1000.

dekco
28th March 2009, 06:38 PM
wouldnt your max speed then be 100mb/s??

poo
28th March 2009, 06:47 PM
wouldnt your max speed then be 100mb/s??

Only for internet. The router is connected to the switch, and all other devices are also connected to the switch (so it is the central networking point). All file transfers between devices (via the switch) should be 1000mb/s (gigabit).

Regardless, right now, the cat6 cable isn't even recognised as making a connection!

dekco
28th March 2009, 11:18 PM
have you checked your terminations? cable damage?

poo
29th March 2009, 07:47 AM
Yes, all cables and terminations checked & working fine, switch & router ports all working fine with other machines also.

This really is driving me mental!

zbaron
29th March 2009, 09:21 AM
Have a look into to the ethernet port on the Mac and make sure all the pins are straight and don't appear to be out of place or bent.

Is the Cat6 cable a tighter fit, does it take more effort to plug in?

I use Cat6 (ADC Krone) cables on my Macs at work with no problems.

ClockWork
29th March 2009, 10:19 AM
I know this sounds like a pathetic possibility... but if it was me, I'd purchase another CAT 6 Networking Ethernet Cable.

Careful they don't sell you a Cross-Over Cable.

poo
29th March 2009, 10:49 AM
@ zbaron: Yeah, both cable connectors and card connections all straight, seem to be snapping together nicely without issue.

@ Clockwork: At this point I kinda have to agree... except that the cables/switch have no problem when using with other devices; full gigabit no issues.

I thought perhaps there might be some sort of setting within the OS that limited connectivity to 10/100 in some way, but buggered if I can find anything...

Thanks for all the responses - such a frustrating problem!

poo
30th March 2009, 06:40 AM
Was the cable. Realised that the three I had been trying were the same brand/model. Tried another and it worked right away.

Thanks for helping with such a basic issue... I look forward to returning the favor!

ClockWork
30th March 2009, 08:05 AM
All ethernet cables are equal... but some are more equal than others.

good going