PDA

View Full Version : iTunes HD purchases also in Australia?

iDunno
27th March 2009, 03:31 PM
I had thought that the iTunes HD movies available for purchase was only available from the US store?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I hope it is available here, if not I'll have to grab some of those eBay US store vouchers.

Huy
27th March 2009, 03:36 PM
HD for US only.

Brains
27th March 2009, 04:05 PM
... and the reason being is that the HD movies are HUGE. Apple US is aware of our sucky enforced-quota internet here, and have decided that until that policy changes, iTunes will not be permitted to supply HD-format movie rentals to Australia or New Zealand. Three movies and bam, there's your monthly quota gone.

Oh, and getting US store vouchers won't help you either. If you register with iTS with a US voucher, the Store will think you're American, but the actual movie server will see that your IP number is Australian and won't let you have it. Working through a US-based proxy may get you past this limtation.

NeoRicen
27th March 2009, 04:13 PM
Not surprising considering one movie would eat all of the vast majority of the population's download quota.

Huy
27th March 2009, 04:21 PM
iiNet has unmetered iTunes content. Just FYI.

iFanboy
27th March 2009, 05:16 PM
I have bought Movies recently from the US iTunes store happily and unmetered from iiNet. Is there really any new technology that is being used in the download of these "HD" movies in terms of geographically blocking people.

Phase
27th March 2009, 05:21 PM
Ahh, iiNet, you are awesome.

/downloads HD Movie.

Is there really any new technology that is being used in the download of these "HD" movies in terms of geographically blocking people.

Not as of 5 mins ago.

KlaasVisser
28th March 2009, 05:44 PM
I have an AppleTV, and rent two or three HD movies a week from the Aus iTunes store - they average around 3GB each. My connection comes with 90GB per month, so it's not painful. :)

Being able to buy HD movies would be great. I think another factor is Apple getting organised with the local distributors, to work out the licencing charges.

iDunno
1st April 2009, 11:18 AM
Yeh, I only have a monthly quota of 40gig's, am thinking I will raise it. Not with iiNet though, am with Internode, and for the time being will stick with them, I like that they don't have off-peak/on-peak and also uploads aren't countered.

johnno29
17th May 2009, 01:54 AM
Hi there, read that Apple has released HD content to non Apple TV customers in the US. Any one know when that is likely to happen here?

Cheers,
J.

leon
17th May 2009, 02:32 PM
Hi there, read that Apple has released HD content to non Apple TV customers in the US. Any one know when that is likely to happen here?

Cheers,
J.

Probably 3 or so years. That seems to be how long we are behind the U.S.A with most Apple online stuff.

stab
26th June 2009, 07:21 PM
Pretty sucky isn't it.
If I want 720p movies on my ATV I either have to record em via EyeTV or 'aquire' them by other means (and its pretty hit and miss).
I would pay good money to get them off of iTunes if the buggers were available.

COME ON APPLE!!!! %)(*&%%