PDA

View Full Version : iphone frozen/1.1.1!

chocho
27th March 2009, 10:17 AM
hi guys,

my friend is getting rid of his 1st generation 8gb iphone that is stuck/frozen on firmware 1.1.1 (excuse the lack of knowledge) and he is willing to sell it if the phone is fixable!

i have no idea or experience with the lingo of the iphone gadget yet (late starter) and would like to know what is the best way to try and reinstall the os on it.....

all i know is that the phone is unlocked/jailbroken, and it has ver 1.1.1

many thanks

Huy
27th March 2009, 10:19 AM
Your friend should upgrade the firmware (software) on it. 1.1.1 is way too old.

We are at 2.2.1 now.

The phone is fixable and resalable.

You might want to look at this:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/36/46770-babysteps-guide-upgrading-1st-gen-iphone-fw-2-1-pwnage.html

There might be newer info out there but look for yourself on how to get to 2.x on a 2G.

chocho
27th March 2009, 10:32 AM
thanks for the info huy :)

is there anything i should look out for while upgrading it (he's left it for me to do} i don't want to re lock it. or cause it further problems.

thanks

Huy
27th March 2009, 10:34 AM
If it was me, I would restore it to 2.2.1. Not upgrade from 1.1.1 to 2.2.1 (sounds messy). Better to start with a clean slate (backup contacts, etc. beforehand) to avoid any issues e.g. old residual files that can slow the OS down (for example).

It will be re-locked anyway with a restore, but you can easily jailbreak/activate/unlock it since it is a 2G iPhone. So don't worry if it gets re-locked. You can always fix that.

Of course, you can upgrade 1.1.1 -> 2.2.1 directly over the top of 1.1.1 if you like, but that is not my suggestion (if it was my iPhone). I'd still restore it just to know that I am 're-virginizing' it. :)

chocho
27th March 2009, 10:46 AM
ok :)

as with everything in the past i would like to fully restore to 2.2.1! is it the same method as in the link you provided? my friend doesn't want anything from the phone, so i can erase the lot :)

thanks

Huy
27th March 2009, 10:52 AM
You can look here:
Dev-Team Blog - Close the stable door! (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/74278878/close-the-stable-door)

QuickPwn or PwnageTool will do it. I have not used either one (since I don't have a 2G iPhone).

leon
27th March 2009, 10:53 AM
Do you want things like Apps on your 1st gen iPhone?

If not and all you want to do is use it as a phone and connect to the internet, then I would recommend restoring to Firmware 1.1.4

I use this firmware on my 1st gen iPhone and it absolutely flies compared to my wife's 3G iPhone which is running 2.2.1

There is minimal lag anywhere with 1.1.4.

chocho
27th March 2009, 11:05 AM
:) i think fw 1.1.4 sounds like me!

i just want to make calls, use wifi to surf the net and have itunes+photos. the basic stuff... how limited am i with apps, and what are the one's that i will be missing with 2.2.1?
also is the new os 3.0 available for the 2G, or do i have to have 2.2.1 first.

thanks

Huy
27th March 2009, 11:08 AM
iPhone 3.0 OS will be available for 2G iPhones but some functionality will not be there due to hardware limitations, etc (e.g. MMS and stereo Bluetooth).

It is not available yet, the latest is 2.2.1 for both 2G and 3G iPhones.

leon
27th March 2009, 11:14 AM
:) i think fw 1.1.4 sounds like me!

i just want to make calls, use wifi to surf the net and have itunes+photos. the basic stuff... how limited am i with apps, and what are the one's that i will be missing with 2.2.1?
also is the new os 3.0 available for the 2G, or do i have to have 2.2.1 first.

thanks

With 1.1.4 you can't get apps from the App store. This doesn't bother me as I use my iPhone as a phone.
I will probably just buy a generation 3 iPhone next year once the battery in my 1st gen dies. By then the processor within the iPhone will hopefully be quicker, allowing OS3.0 to run that little bit better.

Sebastianmonty
27th March 2009, 01:08 PM
If you have a windows pc use this link:
iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows) (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1880)

I used it for a friend. Obviously if he is a mac man use the other links. But the reason I used this link was because my friend uses a pc and 10.5.6(the latest Leopard update) has difficulty getting an iPhone into DFU mode(Device Firmware Upgrade(or update). There are work arounds but if you are running 10.5.6 and don't have a USB hub use this method.

**Also the method is simpler than the one Huy linked to. It's visual and easy.

chocho
27th March 2009, 06:28 PM
thanks for the info guys :)

i am running mac os 10.4.11, so i will have to use the mac version.
is the battery in the iphone easy to replace, something i haven't looked into yet... so with 1.1.4, what apps do i actually get? i like the faster response idea of having this firmware.

catsrule30
27th March 2009, 06:43 PM
to get apps, you need firmware 2.0

chocho
27th March 2009, 06:52 PM
ok, so what apps come standard with 1.1.4?

:)

catsrule30
27th March 2009, 06:53 PM
none, apps werent developed before 2.0 so none apart from the standard phone, sms, safari etc

Huy
27th March 2009, 07:57 PM
Just get 2.2.1 and try that out.
If you don't like it, drop back down to 1.1.4.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with 2.2.1 but then again, I stopped using 2G iPhones since the 1.x days.

dekco
27th March 2009, 11:05 PM
i had a 2G iphone, running 2.2.0 before, but i sold it off. Now looking for another one.