PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro 2.8. for F.C.P. Good Enough?

macrob
27th March 2009, 12:25 AM
Hi Folks,

New(ish) to Mac (3 months with 2.4 white MacBook - old version from refurb store - it's really the wife's if your going to press me on it. Loving it B.T.W).

Anyway I am looking to replace my current Windows desktop, with a MacBook Pro. I was exposed to Macs and F.C.P while doing a unit at uni last year, and I plan on doing more of this on the MacBook Pro.

My questions are these
1) Would a unibody 15" MBP (2.8GHz, 4Gb, 5400 rpm HDD) be able to handle the strains of F.C.P without going into meltdown? I appreciate it would be able to run it, but its more would it be absolutely flogging it?

2) While I don't currently shoot in High Def, would this machine hardware have the necessary grunt / video capability to handle it in the future?

3) Am I right in thinking that I could swap out the HDD, and fit a 7200 rpm drive myself? (I am definitely no Mr Fixit, so it would have to be pretty straight forward ;) )

I appreciate I could get an iMac, but I really like the portability that the MBP will give me. Ultimately I may well l - ink it up to a 24" display down the track (finances permitting).

Anyway, would love to here any views on this subject, especially from people with first hand experience of running F.C.P on a unibody 15" MBP, who may be able to answer my questions above.

Many thanks,

Macrob.

dekco
27th March 2009, 12:31 AM
ill be quick:
1) yes
2) *imo* yes
3) yes. unlock the bottom flap, and the HDD is sitting staring you right in the eye. Piece of cake to change.

grorr76
27th March 2009, 03:07 AM
would be more than fine on all counts, infact it will work a treat. I have a similar setup and fcp flies on mine.

visional_studios
27th March 2009, 05:29 AM
Of course it's good enough. That's what they're built for.

I edit HD on my nearly 2 year old macbook with the shitty integrated GPU - video editing doesn't require a supercomputer.

Your new MBP will eat FCP for breakfast.

glitch
27th March 2009, 06:47 AM
Agreed, use the same for editing HD on FCP, no problemo.

leon
27th March 2009, 07:14 AM
If your going to be using the machine at home on a desk, then I would recommend using an external FW800 drive as the repository of all the footage, leaving the internal Macbook Pro drive as the boot-drive.

Cybix
27th March 2009, 10:02 AM
I was using FCE on a 2.0Ghz core duo Macbook Pro with 2GB ram (a rev A unit), cutting HD (1080) video too, NO problems at all.

Some tips for you:

a) do not waste your time on a fast internal disk for the machine. The 7200rpm upgrade option is cheap, so I spose go for it, but do not be concerned about capacity.
b) get yourself a good and fast external disk drive either FW800 or eSATA (with an expresscard) and use this as your SCRATCH DISK. This is very important, you will not regret it, you'll do all your editing on this disk so it needs to really fly. Keeping your scratch disk off your internal drive will seriously improve performance.
c) spend the extra quid and get the 17" MBP, why? it has a Full HD display built in. OR if you have an external monitor that can display FullHD, that should be okay too.

I plan to buy a new MBP for the exact same reasons as you. Probably a top-spec MBP (except 4GB ram, not 8, at least not from Apple). Price is approx $5688 with applecare, or $3542.07 after salary sacrificing :)

Cybix
27th March 2009, 10:05 AM
If your going to be using the machine at home on a desk, then I would recommend using an external FW800 drive as the repository of all the footage, leaving the internal Macbook Pro drive as the boot-drive.

*SNAP* :sealed:

macrob
27th March 2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you all for taking the time and passing on your comments and experiences. It would appear that the Unibody 2.8 MBP and FCP will indeed play nicely together.

Received load and clear about using a Firewire 800 drive as the scratch disk. Thanks for the tip.

CYBIX : The all singing, all dancing new 17" MBP would no doubt rock my world, but its way over my budget (yikes!). I assume that you are in video and media production as a profession, especially as you'll be dishing out some serious cash for your new toy, not to mention being able to salary sacrifice.

I've just started a new job, and salary sacrificing is an option, but there is no way I can say that I will be using the new mac for work 51% of the time!

Thanks again to all those who contributed.

Macrob.

Cybix
27th March 2009, 03:57 PM
Actually I just like to video my little girl (13 months old) with my HDV cam... I'm a Systems Analyst by trade (yay).

dekco
27th March 2009, 04:38 PM

I've just started a new job, and salary sacrificing is an option, but there is no way I can say that I will be using the new mac for work 51% of the time!

Thanks again to all those who contributed.

Macrob.

why not? Afterall most companies will issue you with a laptop; now cant you just use the MBP instead? Just a suggestion.

leon
27th March 2009, 09:49 PM
Macrob if you want to save a little bit of coin, the Melbourne reseller Designwyse has some previous model 17's for sale on their website.
There isn't really anything wrong with these models (they are slightly slower than the new ones), but you paying about 1/2 the price.

http://www.designwyse.com.au/images/content/multi/Mac-Book-Pro-17-Run-Out_V2.gif