PDA

View Full Version : first web design piece...

Jimbo
26th March 2009, 04:56 PM
Hey fellas, ladies, I've got a uni assignment this semester whereby I have to redesign the UC's 'Stonefest' website. While I'm still in the preliminary design stages at the moment, I thought I'd get some feedback on the general appearance/design...

So yeah, its only a flat jpg atm, but i'd love some constructive feedback.

Also i might point out that i haven't decided how to actually lay the content out on the page. There isn't too much of it, but I'm just a little confused as to how to do that.

Thank you in advance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3599/3386322605_9de0c8f21a_o.jpg

pengu
26th March 2009, 06:29 PM
the only thing that i would comment on is that you won't be able to reproduce that font without relying on images or flash..

anarchron
26th March 2009, 09:34 PM
CSS3 mate!

pengu
26th March 2009, 09:52 PM
CSS3 mate!

are you suggesting downloadable fonts?

Jimbo
26th March 2009, 10:46 PM
yeah, there is this thing that is java based and there are flash elements too, i can't for the LIFE of me remember how you do it, but yeah, we were going over it in class today.

I dunno how the font is going to work anyway, its fucking terrible to read.

I'm thinking of 'paperclipping' another sheet of computer styled paper or something to the front and then having a really typewritery font.

Thats right i said typewritery!

pengu
26th March 2009, 10:47 PM
you probably mean sIFR - uses javascript and flash..

banjo
27th March 2009, 08:10 AM
you probably mean sIFR - uses javascript and flash..

There are other ones as well, like Facelift (http://facelift.mawhorter.net/) (also known as FLIR) and typeface.js (http://typeface.neocracy.org/) ... it's worth checking them all out and finding the one you like best.

As for the site itself:

The paper-clipped bit of paper at the top should probably be aligned with the right-hand side of the page. Having it where it is now leaves an awkward bit of whitespace to its right. Your elements need to be spaced out consistently to avoid drawing the eye to what isn't there.

Add some more space between the menu and the top of your text: they're too close together right now.

Also if you had to eventually build the site, you would have dramas attempting to get the text wrapping to the left of your main image. HTML doesn't do it natively and there's not really an easy, reliable, cross-browser way to do it.

Finally, the page example you've given would be more suited to an "about" page, not the front one. It's rather bland at the moment and could do with some spicing up. Think to yourself: why would people come to the website in the first place? For a music festival it would most likely be dates, acts, and tickets -- these things should feature on your front page. This would say to me that you should prominently state the exact date of the festival, have a box pointing out the feature act (and easily link to the other acts), and a prominent call-to-action ... which is your "buy tickets now" link/button. You might also provide the mailing list signup form directly on the front page.

Jimbo
27th March 2009, 10:55 AM
Banjo, you are a God among men, Thankyou for the tips! that is exactly what i was looking for...

And yes it was sifr i was referring to in the earlier post.

kingsdesign
27th March 2009, 11:37 AM
Try to get no element behind your body copy just to make it usable and readable.
for the rest looking Great!

Jimbo
27th March 2009, 01:44 PM
i'm not sure what you mean by that kings, you may have to explain it to me like a 3 year old, i'm very new to this web designing thing.

ZacDavies
27th March 2009, 06:12 PM
Try to get no element behind your body copy just to make it usable and readable.
for the rest looking Great!

What he said

Never "ghost" an image behind text - cardinal sin along the innocent path to try to make something look cool. Affects redability which conversley equals bad design

Just add those lil doodles to the side margins :)

Looks fine to me dude, otherwise :) goodluck embedding fonts, many fancy methods to choose for that