PDA

View Full Version : What Id Like To See In A New G5 Laptop

amni
30th May 2005, 07:25 PM
Hi all

Not sure if this will happen any time soon, but the only thing I wish for in a G5 laptop is higher screen resolution , my Dell had a really bright screen and 1680x1050, so I can have lots of things up on the screen, a 17" should have this resoltion...

anyone else want to say what they would like to see on a G5 laptop, apart from the obvious a G5

Disko
31st May 2005, 11:42 AM
I really can't think of anything more than what you've already said amni. The powerbook lineup has everything. The only real improvement would be the screen resolution, and probably the Hard drive...

maybe dual layer Super drives?

Arkhum_Eramak
31st May 2005, 12:15 PM
Dual-Layer Superdrive
Higher Res Screen
Longer Battery Life (hah!)
Jaffle Iron
Support for 4 GB RAM!! Just so you can tell your friends and sound tough
onboard 5.1 like the scary l 15"

Has anyone seen that l 15" laptop (windows based of course) that has 4 hard drive bays and onboard 5.1? WTF? Do you turn it on and have to recharge it? Some people. Although their 92" display looks pretty cool...

http://www.go-l.com/

OMG?? I havn't been there for a year and now they have liquid cooled laptops and a 5GHz desktop machine that's vapor cooled??

p53
31st May 2005, 02:15 PM
I'd like to see a built-in tablet on the 17"

p53.

Insanely
31st May 2005, 02:45 PM
Why on earth onboard 5.1? Don't the speakers have to be setup around you? Or is it a 5.1 output?

I would like to see a multicard reader and bluetooth 2 as well as a G5 processor and dual layer superdrive.

macmate
31st May 2005, 03:09 PM
the new faster wireless tech

simonpeng
31st May 2005, 03:14 PM
1, Support more ram, 4 or even 8GB.
2, Larger hard drive
3, dual layer dvd burner
4, longer battery life, actually 5 hours~
5, lighter

iMick
31st May 2005, 03:24 PM
17" powerbooks must have a full size keyboard. You've got the freakn space - full it with a freakn numpad already!!

marc
31st May 2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by iMick@May 31 2005, 03:24 PM
17" powerbooks must have a full size keyboard. You've got the freakn space - full it with a freakn numpad already!!
Good call, and the best suggestion yet.

Why would you want 5.1? You can barely hear the difference between mono and stereo on laptops. Sounds like wank to me (however, a 5.1 digi output could be handy... but won't be used by many).

marc
31st May 2005, 03:41 PM
A solid state hard drive (maybe not the next rev, but the one after).

Any seasoned road warrior will tell you that repeated and prolonged disk reads and writes can make short work of your battery life. While you can set your laptop to spin down your drive whenever possible, there's no getting around the fact that it takes battery juice to power up and spin the drive. That could change in the not-too-distant future with the introduction of a 16GB NAND Flash memory hard drive from Samsung.

According to the company's press release, the new drive uses a mere 5 percent of the power a regular hard drive does, while outperforming it by 150 percent. The disk reads data at 57MBps and writes at 32MBps. In addition, it weighs less than half of a regular hard drive and runs cooler and more quietly than hard drives. The flash drive also looks like a standard hard drive to the computer, so no drivers are necessary.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050524-4939.html

Quamen
31st May 2005, 04:12 PM
Solid state hard drive looks good. But you would need a normal one in there for data storage, but running all of your apps and your system from a NAND drive sounds good.

mvjs
31st May 2005, 04:42 PM
Pop out rear stands
More USB ports :)
19 inch model

Phillip
31st May 2005, 04:48 PM
13" 15" and 17" Lineup. Widescreen 1280x864. 1440x960. 1920x1024. SuperDuper Drive. Be the first to have blue ray support on a portable.
Even Smaller and Lighter. 1 inch think across the line. With the 12" less than 1.8 kg. Battery Life 8 Hours
The best I/O Firewire 400 & 800, USB 2, 802.11n, Bluetooth, and Gigabit ethernet across the line.
Super Cool design A slide open back to access RAM, Airport and Hard Disk.

McMullet
31st May 2005, 05:24 PM
IMO, it would be hard to implement the external changes without making the thing look slightly uglier. We see so many wintel laptops companies that try to put as many different holes as they can on the outside that it just becomes an eyesore.

Apple will do it better than those companies but I think the PB might lose it's sleekness slightly. Although, all they're recent industrial design has been excellent. :thumbup:

marc
31st May 2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@May 31 2005, 04:12 PM
Solid state hard drive looks good. But you would need a normal one in there for data storage, but running all of your apps and your system from a NAND drive sounds good.
Not at all. We just need those NAND drives to be 40GB+ instead of 16GB.

Give it 12 months.

I really would love to see the PBs as the first laptops to use these drives, they'll mean much better performance, longer battery life, and cooler running.

tommelbourne
31st May 2005, 05:45 PM
I personally just want a G5 Laptop, that's it!

gelfie
31st May 2005, 05:52 PM
do you really need an insanely expensive solid state harddisk? Why not just wire 256MB or so of SDRAM into the drive controller or something like that, and have a nice juicy cache?

Quamen
31st May 2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by marc@May 31 2005, 05:41 PM
Not at all. We just need those NAND drives to be 40GB+ instead of 16GB.

Give it 12 months.

I really would love to see the PBs as the first laptops to use these drives, they'll mean much better performance, longer battery life, and cooler running.
Yea, but right now they are 16GB. That was what my post was refering to. I don't want to even think about how much they will cost though.

king89
31st May 2005, 05:57 PM
One of those new hydrogen batteries developed where the only by-product is water. Apple can then use that water for a water cooled, G5 laptop.

A faster Powerbook, longer battery life just makes it that much cooler.

I would hate to think of the industrial design though :lol:

El Guardo
31st May 2005, 06:01 PM
Just a half decent FSB on the Powerbooks please.

mvjs
31st May 2005, 06:10 PM
Hydrogen batteries, means new technology, means duble prices, even if the only ingreedient is water

kit
31st May 2005, 06:44 PM
I hate the thought of a full size numpad on the 17" laptop. A guy in my class has an enormous (I mean ENORMOUS) Alienware laptop with that, and it just makes the keyboard awkward and off-centre.

No thanks.

LCGuy
31st May 2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by king89@May 31 2005, 05:57 PM
One of those new hydrogen batteries developed where the only by-product is water. Apple can then use that water for a water cooled, G5 laptop.

A faster Powerbook, longer battery life just makes it that much cooler.

I would hate to think of the industrial design though :lol:
It would look like this:

http://www.danaquarium.com/gallery/vhacks/tibook_luggable

:P

glenmorrow
31st May 2005, 07:05 PM
What I'd like to see aded to things that have already been said here, is a better design on the 17" with regards to how the screen clips to the laptop, make it more solid and stop it from getting scratched by it's own keyboard. This wouldn't be a hard thing either, just a bit of planning...

headkicker
1st June 2005, 12:43 AM
i hope in the G5 powerbook i will see the following:

1. a better screen
2. longer battery life - say 6-8 hours for normal usage
3. more scratch resistent