PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Goes Boom!

violetine
30th May 2005, 06:52 PM
Okay, so I recently bought a Bondi-Blue 17" CRT monitor, and attached it to my dual G4 using an adaptor. The monitor appears to be in perfect condition, however, over the last week, it's been on the fritz in a big way - it keeps on... restarting, in a sense - the picture goes out of focus, makes a *poonk* sound and refocuses.

Tonight, however, it's decided to completely pack up and make a *snap* sound, with no vision.

Repairable? Any ideas? Any replacements for sale? Bueller?

iSlayer
30th May 2005, 07:00 PM
i had the same think happen to mine ages ago.
i dont think its repairable or atleast not for a reasonable price

macsyd
30th May 2005, 07:08 PM
I had exactly the same happen to mine a couple of years ago, until it got to the point it was doing it every couple of seconds. Shortly thereafter, all I got was the 'pop' and nothing on the screen.

If I remember correctly, it was a known issue, and there was a note on the apple support site (although I just checked and cant find it). As no doubt warranty period is finished, looks like they've taken it down.

All advice I got at the time was to write it off.

Sorry can't give you any joy!

EDIT: Found a little info here http://tinyurl.com/a5upz

gelfie
30th May 2005, 07:17 PM
This is the "Tick-Zoom-Fade" flaw that all those 17" Mitubishi Diamondtron dislays had.

This affected the blue and the grey Apple 17" CRTs (not the clear gray one that shipped with the Cube) and also Mitsubishi's own 17" Diamondtrons (I own one of those).

Essentially the problem is very intermitant at first, but will happen more and more frequently and in the end the display will not function at all.

I doubt it would be worth the money to have reapaired by Mitsubishi, and certianly not through Apple.

Dump it and nab an LCD or something.