PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery places?

lach
25th March 2009, 05:28 PM
Some of you might remember my ordeal (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/60088-ordeal.html) with the Apple Store which has been going on for a few weeks. I think I'm finally finished with the Apple Store, meaning I don't have to go in there again. The genius found a bright spot on my display and insisted that he fix it. Normally it would cost $1300 but because of what's happened it was on the house. So that's been done.

I have my old hard drive, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good data recovery places in Sydney I could take it to. I've had one quote for $1200, but that was a top end business. I'm not really prepared to pay anywhere near that much.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Lachlan

Scubasnaps
25th March 2009, 09:42 PM
Before going to a data recovery company I'd put that drive into an external drive housing and see if I could restore it myself. Did you do anything unusual to your data - e.g. use filevault ? Assuming you do get your data back I'm sure you'll be setting up a proper backup system. Sadly we all learn this particular rule of computing the hard way.
Search the forums for Clockwork's excellent posts on external drive housings and also look at recovery software - eg diskwarrior. There are a lot of people on Mactalk who can help you with the details.

lach
25th March 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks, I will look into that option. I have indeed already gone out and bought a new hard drive for Time Machine.
The guy at Apple said he was able to get the drive to mount and was able to access everything EXCEPT the user folder. I'm not sure if he tried using any data recovery software or anything.

macrich
25th March 2009, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately you'll find that data recovery does cost around that amount, sometimes more. It costs alot of money to setup a clean room and staff it. Even then you're not guaranteed that it will recover 100% of the data from the drive.

If you can't get your data back by mounting the drive and immediately removing everything you can off of it, then you'll just have to kiss that data goodbye.

Next time, make as many backups of important data as possible. I've learnt the hard way myself.

lach
1st April 2009, 11:48 PM
A quick update...

I'm borrowing a hard drive enclosure. I have tried 3 different data recovery programs. DiskWarrior found only the basic things. Stellar Phoenix took 24+ hours to find nothing. Am currently running Data Rescue II. It has found things the others haven't. The files don't have the original file names I don't think. I am transferring them to another hard drive right now. Will keep everyone posted - this is looking good!!

Thanks to those who helped!

lach
6th April 2009, 01:12 AM
Data Rescue II did the trick. Half the files it sorts into folders of images, documents, audio etc...and renames all the files to generic ones. Somewhat annoying, BUT at least most of the data is there!
The other half is in what's called "orphan folders". File names remain in tact, but there are too many folders to sort through manually. Luckily you can search these.

Thanks to all that lead me in this direction. Hope this thread helps others.

Richard22
16th April 2009, 01:27 AM
Glad to hear that Data Rescue II did the trick. I have used it successful in the past. I also use bootable TestDisk and R-studio on Windows for recovery. If it get's to complicated I send it to a data recovery company. The last few we have used include pcimage in the uk can't remember the url for that one and data Analyzers Data Recovery Orlando Florida (http://www.datanalyzers.com) in the USA.