PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Will my information be lost???

Tusrico
25th March 2009, 03:03 PM
Please help! Ok it started when my beloved, old trusty Powerbook G4 died a few weeks back. So on Sunday I had the privelige of purchasing a brand new MacBook!!!!! (aluminium) I was going to get the MacBook Pro but I ride a sportsbike so it's easier to transport a MacBook!

Anyway my problem is that my iPhone was currently formatted to my G4 Powerbook & I want to know if I plug my iPhone into my new MacBook, will I lose all my info, applications, music & custom ringtones?

I know there is a merge option, but does that save all the data I have accumulated on my iPhone?

Any help from the mac masters on here would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance! Tess

Brains
25th March 2009, 04:24 PM
Tess, what exactly "died" with your old PowerBook? If the hard drive inside it is still intact, then you can extract it (carefully! use the excellent picture how-to's at iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com)), put it into a cheap USB-based external box ($10 to $30 from any half-decent PC shop) and then use Migration Assistant to pull all of your old stuff into your new MacBook.

Migration Assistant is designed for this kind of thing, and will make your new Mac have all your account info, programs, data, settings and licensing information -- including your iPhone and iTunes data -- exactly how it appeared on your PowerBook.

Tusrico
25th March 2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Brains but it still doesn't answer my question. I am getting an IDE USB connector (non SATA) to plug into the hard drive of the G4 from some computer shop when I have the time to do it & transfer the info.
I am wondering when I sync my iPhone to the new MacBook, will ALL the info I have on my iPhone just transfer over or what will happen? What will I lose off the iPhone etc.

Mac Ram
25th March 2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the reply Brains but it still doesn't answer my question. I am getting an IDE USB connector (non SATA) to plug into the hard drive of the G4 from some computer shop when I have the time to do it & transfer the info.
I am wondering when I sync my iPhone to the new MacBook, will ALL the info I have on my iPhone just transfer over or what will happen? What will I lose off the iPhone etc.

Not if you use migration assistant first, as per Brains

Migration Assistant is designed for this kind of thing, and will make your new Mac have all your account info, programs, data, settings and licensing information -- including your iPhone and iTunes data -- exactly how it appeared on your PowerBook.

Tusrico
25th March 2009, 11:48 PM
I have tried putting the G4 in firewire mode - it does get the firewire sign on the screen but the new macbook has no firewire connector & I tried a normal usb/usb cord & no joy. Then it just shuts down after 2 mins. I have since plugged the iphone in & tried the migration assistant with the iPhone - all it asked for was info from mac to mac & time machine & another option - no iPhone option. I cannot check see what I have lost in the way of data yet as its still syncing

Looks lke I will rip the G4 apart for the hard disk & use it like an external drive as I have some important info on there that I really need to extract!

Brains
26th March 2009, 04:02 AM
Looks lke I will rip the G4 apart for the hard disk & use it like an external drive as I have some important info on there that I really need to extract!

Yes, that is what you must do. You cannot run Migration Assistant on an iPhone, only another Mac, or another hard drive with an OSX installation onit.

Visit iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com) and find the instructions on how to replace the hard drive your particular model of PowerBook.

Once you have the hard drive out, put it into the IDE-based external drive case you bought and hook it to your new MacBook via USB.

Launch Migration Assistant, and then point it at your external hard drive.

Let it do its thing, then restart. Once you restart, your MacBook will look just like your PowerBook did.

You can now connect your iPhone up, launch iTunes, and everything will be sync'd up again.

Tusrico
26th March 2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks again, Brains! Just one more question , is the IDE a size 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch. I have found both sizes but dont really know which one to purchase????

Many thanks, again!

Brains
26th March 2009, 09:11 PM
The smaller one, 2.5"

cabel
31st March 2009, 10:53 PM
You can sync Contacts and Browser Favorites but Apple will erase your music for your troubles...

ellsab
1st April 2009, 11:39 PM
Hi, can you help, I want to sync my Iphone contact to my Mobile Me account, not the other way, can this be done, and why does Apple only want to sync one way?? I tried to sync my Iphone to Mobile Me the other day and it wiped all my contacts (187 of em, was trying to back them up and yep, lost forever) in the Iphone, any ideas, I have been searching, but no one seems to be able to help???

Tusrico
5th April 2009, 04:28 PM
Well I got all my data off the G4 - thanks to Brains ;)

Thanks ever so much, Brains!

I bought an IDE to USB cable set up, took my G4 apart all by myself, I followed the instructions from the ifixit site - thanks again Brains!

I managed to get the hard drive out & transfer all my data via migration assistant.

I would have either lost the data or had to pay $200 that i was quoted by an apple "expert".

Youre a legend, Brains! Thanks Kindly :happy:

Brains
5th April 2009, 11:04 PM
Any time, and glad to hear the mission, whilst a bit nerve-wracking, was ultimately successful.