PDA

View Full Version : Halp! What is the BIGGEST hard-drive I can stuff in my MBP?

ZacDavies
24th March 2009, 09:30 AM
I have a 15" MBP bought 25.10.07 with the following stats:

2.4GHZ
4GB RAM
GeForce 8600M GT
HDD (Serial-ATA) 149.05 GB

...anyone know what the current biggest baddest (compatible) HDD in existance would be? Really appreciate your knowledge guys

...have run out of space

PLUS, my Nvidia graphics card has started dying & I'm taking the laptop to the Apple store this arvo - YAY WHAT A GREAT WEEK! :confused:

dekco
24th March 2009, 09:39 AM
i believe some laptop can now support up to 500gb with a height of 10mm. Thus being able to fit in your laptop with no problem.

lazydesi
24th March 2009, 09:39 AM
500GB

decryption
24th March 2009, 09:42 AM
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 - ST9500420AS is what you want.
500GB of 7200RPM glory packed into a 9.5mm high cage of power.
Will set you back 250 or so simoleons.

~Coxy
24th March 2009, 09:50 AM
If price is more important than speed you can also get 5400 rpm 500GB laptop hard disks.

Cybix
24th March 2009, 09:51 AM
7200rpm fo sho, super awesome performance increase.

NeoRicen
24th March 2009, 05:40 PM
I'm looking for 7200rpm 500GB drives also, but I don't know where to buy from. None of the places I've bought from before have them, so I don't know who to trust. Even many places that have them have no stock, some saying they're discontinued.

Has anyone got one, and where did you get it?

decryption
24th March 2009, 05:45 PM
staticICE :: ST9500420AS : Australia's comprehensive computer hardware and gadget price comparison search engine (http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ST9500420AS&spos=3)

NeoRicen
24th March 2009, 06:20 PM
staticICE :: ST9500420AS : Australia's comprehensive computer hardware and gadget price comparison search engine (http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=ST9500420AS&spos=3)

I'm looking for 7200rpm 500GB drives also, but I don't know where to buy from. None of the places I've bought from before have them, so I don't know who to trust. Even many places that have them have no stock, some saying they're discontinued.

Has anyone got one, and where did you get it?

ZacDavies
24th March 2009, 06:57 PM
^what he said

can I just call up NextByte (or other recommended certified service centre) and:

a) pay them to install the super awesome HDD I just bought
b) pay them to find the super HDD I want, and install it
c) all of the above are possible
d) stop wasting our time with silly threads

Many thanks, oh wise and thoughtfull fellow Mac nerds

yinyang
24th March 2009, 08:21 PM
I recently put in a 320Gb 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black into my MBP. Was going to get it done by reseller, but after looking at how much margin he was putting on it, I decided to do it myself.

As an option, buy the HDD yourself and get them to install it - should take them less than an hour, max (it took me just over 30 minutes and I was being very careful!). However (any) warranty will not cover the new HDD, regardless of who puts it in.

btw I only went 320Gb because there weren't many places here in KL that had the 500Gb 7200rpm in stock, and it was pretty cheap at MYR320 (about AU$125). also local reseller was going to charge MYR100 (about AU$40) to change out the HDD

NeoRicen
24th March 2009, 08:27 PM
I've been looking around the web, and it appears literally everywhere is out of stock of the Seagates.

A couple report they are expecting stock sometime soon (5 drives in 6 days at gocomp.com.au and OWC expecting in 18 days).

I'm thinking at this point they just didn't make many.

ZacDavies
24th March 2009, 08:58 PM
However (any) warranty will not cover the new HDD, regardless of who puts it in.

For serious? The "genius" told me today as long as it's done by a certified Apple service centre my Apple-care is still valid..

yinyang
24th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Applecare will still cover the rest of the machine, just not the new HDD - well that's what I was told by the reseller here, and I'm pretty sure that's what i've seen on other forum posts.

any experts here want to chime in with their wisdom?

ZacDavies
24th March 2009, 09:21 PM
^that sounds fine and reasonable to me, long as stuff like the screen and graphics card are covered..

:)

now to find those drives..

ZacDavies
1st April 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm going to cry.

Seriously.

Taken a week to have a display issue fixed on my laptop, have removed 20gb worth of space on my HDD to finish REALLY LATE school assignments.

Photoshop dosen't have enough scratch menory / space to work and is shutting down within a couple minutes.

TIME TO UPGRADE~!
TIME TO FALL FURTHER BEHIND IN CLASS~!

Will now checkout all these dodgy HDD salesman linked from StaticIce - would really appreciate any advice on who to buy from and who to have it installed by.

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE AND THANKYOU!

:(

ZacDavies
1st April 2009, 10:49 PM
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 - ST9500420AS is what you want.
500GB of 7200RPM glory packed into a 9.5mm high cage of power.
Will set you back 250 or so simoleons.

9.5cm = 3.7inch

I need a 3.7inch HDD? I thought I needed a 2.5..

ZacDavies
1st April 2009, 11:30 PM
Okay,

1) That hard-drive is EXTINCT, can't find it anywhere

2) I'm going to call NextByte in the morning - apparently they can provide a hard-drive and perform the upgrade for me. Hopefully this dosen't take 7 days :( Anyone got a super-special contact there? Or another Apple-tech in Sydney I should use instead?

MANY THANKS FOR HELPING ME, OH WISE & NOBLE MACTALK

decryption
2nd April 2009, 05:31 AM
Okay,

1) That hard-drive is EXTINCT, can't find it anywhere

2) I'm going to call NextByte in the morning - apparently they can provide a hard-drive and perform the upgrade for me. Hopefully this dosen't take 7 days :( Anyone got a super-special contact there? Or another Apple-tech in Sydney I should use instead?

MANY THANKS FOR HELPING ME, OH WISE & NOBLE MACTALK

MacMedic - Australia's Premium Apple Service Centre (http://www.macmedic.com.au) - personal friends of mine and MacTalk sponsors :)

If you bring them a HDD, they'll install it for you pretty quickly.

jimdrum
2nd April 2009, 07:20 AM
MacMedic - Australia's Premium Apple Service Centre (http://www.macmedic.com.au) - personal friends of mine and MacTalk sponsors :)

If you bring them a HDD, they'll install it for you pretty quickly.

+1 for MacMedic. Excellent, helpful, reliable service.

MacMedic say that the Seagate 500gb. 7200 drive may have been discontinued.

enzoweb
9th April 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm looking to put a bigger hdd in my MBP too, and have a question - how do I get the data from the original one back? Would the shop do it for me, or could I use a Time Machine backup?

tact
9th April 2009, 08:03 PM
I bought 2 500GB drives here in KL and installed one inside my new alum unibody MacBook, put the other into an external case to use as a new time machine back up drive. I did it all myself. No big deal.

Before I pulled the old drive out I did a final backup with time machine. Swapped in the new drive, installed OS X from DVD nice and clean... restored the time machine backup.... then ran system updates online.

Gave me a clean new install, all my data from the backup, all nice and safely running on the new 500GB internal drive. And a shiny new 500GB time machine back up drive.

The original 160GB drive is still sitting on my table. I guess i can treat it as a ready to boot emergency back up.... or throw a case around it and use it as a spare external drive.