PDA

View Full Version : To iphone now, or not to iphone now?

bosc0
24th March 2009, 09:20 AM
That is the question..

Would you;

A) Get an iphone now and do the 3.0 update yourself
B) Wait for the 3.0 update iphones to be released
C) Wait for the next gen iphone?

I want one real bad and i should be able to end my current contract early with no cancellation fee's. But shit.... should i wait?
I'm going to the states in August and want it prior to then for internet and email.

LithgowLights
24th March 2009, 09:33 AM
If I was looking at an iPhone now I'd personally wait for a few months to see what happens with the new model. If your happy with the existing 3G phone then when they announce a new model you might be able to get some great deals on the "run out models" :)

bosc0
24th March 2009, 09:50 AM
Well I am happy with the current iphone, but you know how it is. I guess the OS 3.0 update is going to be easy, so as long as a new model with video and what not doesn't come out this year i'll be happy with my purchase :)

Trabb
24th March 2009, 10:01 AM
It's pretty much agreed upon that a new iPhone will most likely come out mid year. Can never be certain but all evidence points to June/July.

mitty
24th March 2009, 10:04 AM
If you are in the market for one now, I'd just go for it, if you can afford it. Life is to short not to have all you want right now :D Besides, in 3 months you can probably sell it anyway (specially if you get it unlocked) and then upgrade to the v3.0 model if it's any good.

Lutze
24th March 2009, 11:08 AM
An ex-colleage of mine has just purchased a new iPhone 3G - and if I'd been in the same country as him I'd have tracked him down and slapped him....

However he's managed to get a guarantee from O2 (UK) to provide a free upgrade to the new model when it's released.

Exocet
24th March 2009, 11:12 AM
Wait - you're going to go into either a 12 or 24 Month contract, I'd personally wait the three months.

supermariobothers
24th March 2009, 11:18 AM
I've had my 3G for a week now, and am loving it. I'm of the view, that like computers, there's always going to be a newer better model released less than a year after you buy. Pretty much always.

And if you do get it now, in 12-24 months, the new one you get to replace this one, will be better than the one that you'd be waiting for!

It all depends on how long you can wait.... before the iphone greed sets in....

bosc0
24th March 2009, 12:24 PM
yeah i'd be looking at a 12month contract. A part of me says you've waited this long, whats a few more months. But then i want one real bad, i have so much use for one and i want to be like all the cool kids, ha.

Guess it can't hurt to see what Mr Hollands Optus has to say eh.

Lutze
24th March 2009, 12:36 PM
it is seriously uncool (tm top gear UK) to have an iPhone 3G. Clarkson has one. That's how uncool it is.

Because of the way the networks work here I really don't advise you to get one right now. You'll kick yourself in 3 months time.

bosc0
24th March 2009, 01:04 PM
Clarkson's fingers are too fat to use one though... did he cut off Richards pinky to use as a pointer?

I may just take your advice... as i didn't realise how close the apparent new gen is away. I thought it was only the software 3.0 update that was going to come through, not an actual new model.

I hate waiting...

Silver
24th March 2009, 01:19 PM
Wouldn't an iPhone announced today have a 6 month lead time for FCC testing in the United States? Seeing as you're going to get 3.0 as a free upgrade anyway, the question becomes if you're willing to wait 6 months + how long it takes Apple to announce a new iPhone, and then however long it takes Apple to ship it world wide.

Lutze
24th March 2009, 01:30 PM
You're wrong Silver.

There was no new FCC release for the iPhone 3G - there won't be one for the 3rd Gen iPhone.

The outside release on a new device is almost certain to be the same as the last couple of years - end of June / start of July. And like the iPhone and the iPhone 3G there will be hardware changes.... improvements abound.

NeoRicen
24th March 2009, 01:54 PM
If you've waited this long you can wait 3 months. So I say wait, it's all but confirmed a new iPhone will hit June/July.

PS: I'm pretty sure the FCC thing was a lie the first time around, the phone just wasn't ready. Apple could get FCC clearance between announcement and release.

Taezar
24th March 2009, 02:07 PM
I know what you mean - I am over waiting, but every time I am close to giving in I play with someone's and then I am good again for another month or so.
We can wait together!

rustyshelf
24th March 2009, 02:11 PM
Just buy it now. Having the current model for three months is going to be a lot better than not having it. Even if the new one can stream video from mars who cares, you have an iPhone, and that's all that matters :)

I love my 3G and am probably not even going to upgrade to the new one...oh wait, I lie, I will need to since I'm an iPhone Developer. *oh what a shame*

Phase
24th March 2009, 02:25 PM
I know what you mean - I am over waiting, but every time I am close to giving in I play with someone's and then I am good again for another month or so.
We can wait together!

The amount of self control you posses is astounding.

jleetj
24th March 2009, 03:37 PM
Also, when the new ones are released, it might cost heaps more than the current version because of the currency exchange, and if you're planning on going into a contract, there would be no way of getting the current version at today's prices...:sad:

melbmac
24th March 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm waiting til the end of June to see what happens before I buy one.

matthewk
24th March 2009, 06:41 PM
Wait. The new one is likely to be significantly better. Especially if you want to watch/record video and play games. There are going to be a whole slew of games by X-mas this year that just will not work on the iPhone 3G.

Also, when the new ones are released, it might cost heaps more than the current version because of the currency exchange, and if you're planning on going into a contract, there would be no way of getting the current version at today's prices...:sad:

But you'll also have a huge influx of iPhone 3Gs at reduced price.

bosc0
25th March 2009, 06:44 AM
well thanks guys, you didn't help in the slightest :P
I read one post and agree... go to pick up the phone and call optus, but then i read the next post and hang up quickly :)

One point that was made that has me slightly tipped to one side is, the chance that the new iphone will be available on a $79cap with $4 handset repayments is very slim.
The plans for the new one will be ridiculous.

/picks up phone to call optus.....

forno
25th March 2009, 07:02 AM
Again this is all speculation, just like when the 3G came out.

Nobody knows when the next version will come out and what features it will have or what it will cost!

mattmac
30th March 2009, 10:53 AM
I am spewing all these rumours just came out when I signed a 24month contract 2 weeks ago.... very unhappy! I know I can sell the iPhone but then I wouldn't have insurance on the new one I assume :(

rustyshelf
30th March 2009, 11:02 AM
I am spewing all these rumours just came out when I signed a 24month contract 2 weeks ago.... very unhappy! I know I can sell the iPhone but then I wouldn't have insurance on the new one I assume :(

Think about what you're saying here. You are spewing because of 'rumours'. They are called rumours for a reason, because until it happens none of them are true.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish some stuff on my new G5 Laptop, with touch screen display before I can export it to my Apple Tablet and upload it to the premium app store. All of this is using windows software, which as we all know now runs natively on Leopard with no virtualisation required! :p

NeoRicen
30th March 2009, 11:26 AM
I read one post and agree... go to pick up the phone and call optus, but then i read the next post and hang up quickly :)

One point that was made that has me slightly tipped to one side is, the chance that the new iphone will be available on a $79cap with $4 handset repayments is very slim.

Why? The plans will be exactly the same, if not, better. Currency will only affect the price of the phone, so that $4 might become $6. Adds up, but very little change to the monthly price.

People like me who will want to pay phone charges up front will be hit hardest.

Plans will not get worse, they are immune to currency, controlled by the carriers, independent of phone cost and have nothing to do with Apple.

NeoRicen
30th March 2009, 11:40 AM

Why? The plans will be exactly the same, if not, better. Currency will only affect the price of the phone, so that $4 might become $6. Adds up, but very little change to the monthly price.

People like me who will want to pay phone charges up front will be hit hardest.

Plans will not get worse, they are immune to currency, controlled by the carriers, independent of phone cost and have nothing to do with Apple.