PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Can't Unlock my 3G iPhone?

semiotech
23rd March 2009, 10:33 PM
Hello,

I'm a NEW iPhone owner, and I am looking forward to actually using it.

So the story is I bought the phone off a guy. It was brand new (kind of) still in the box with the wrapper on it and everything.

Went to a Telstra dealer and was told to call 1800 782 489. I got redirected a number of times and eventually ended up with an automated system that asked for my IMEI.

I put my IMEI in, and the system tells me that it doesn't have the IMEI on record.

Not sure what to do now. I've tried asking people in Telstra, but none of them are particularly helpful. Everybody just says call the iPhone department, but when I call the iPhone department I end up getting redirected to the automated system.

What am I to do?

Trabb
23rd March 2009, 10:38 PM
Are you positive that it was a Telstra phone? Had it ever been replaced under warranty?

semiotech
23rd March 2009, 10:51 PM
100% positive. I tested it with a Telstra SIM and it worked.

I'm told that it is a new phone. The box was unpackaged, but the phone itself was still in the plastic. Might be a new phone after being replaced under warranty?

canonafficionado
24th March 2009, 03:07 AM
100% positive. I tested it with a Telstra SIM and it worked.

I'm told that it is a new phone. The box was unpackaged, but the phone itself was still in the plastic. Might be a new phone after being replaced under warranty?

I had the very same issue happen to me a few weeks back, with no apparent IMEI on record with Telstra's service to unlock it. Unsuccessful internal redirections also took place.

I ran out of time and have not been able to follow up with them yet, but just as an idea you could try putting in a dummy (or another known) IMEI-like number at the prompt which might mean you eventually get to speak to someone, and can then give them the correct IMEI number.

semiotech
24th March 2009, 05:53 PM
canonafficianado, I managed to get through to a Telstra staff member this morning.

I called, got through to an operator. She asked if I was with Telstra and I said yes I have a landline (previous times I've said no and got transfered to that automated service).

Thereafter I gave her all the details, was put on hold for ages and finally she got back to me saying it should be done in 72 hours.

I'm updating my iPhone as I type this. Hopefully I will get lucky and have it unlocked by this evening like some other people.

canonafficionado
24th March 2009, 06:16 PM
canonafficianado, I managed to get through to a Telstra staff member this morning.

I called, got through to an operator. She asked if I was with Telstra and I said yes I have a landline (previous times I've said no and got transfered to that automated service).

Thereafter I gave her all the details, was put on hold for ages and finally she got back to me saying it should be done in 72 hours.

I'm updating my iPhone as I type this. Hopefully I will get lucky and have it unlocked by this evening like some other people.

That's great news Semio. You've inspired me to give them another go as well, noting that I am with them for landline. It will be great to finally have the iPhone active and working as it should.

I hope your new phone updates quickly, connects up, and it goes 'live' tonight. :)

As an aside, for myself and others here, are they still charging $150 for unlocks?

semiotech
24th March 2009, 09:36 PM
Unlock still not working. Go figure.

But yes, they're still charging $150! I charged it straight to my phone bill.

Did all of this walking to work ;)

canonafficionado
24th March 2009, 11:28 PM
I try to do everything on the phone whilst in transit like that as well. (Who says us guys can't occasionally multitask!?)

Fingers crossed that it unlocks for good on Wednesday.

Does it need to be reflashed/refreshed in Itunes until the unlock is delivered?

If so, it's a curse unless you've somehow got a copy of Itunes active at work!

semiotech
25th March 2009, 06:08 PM
Good luck! I JUST unlocked my iPhone like 5 minutes ago!

You usually have to wait awhile for it to be unlocked. I read somewhere that average is 24 hours.

Yes you'll have to do a restore. Then it will say: Your iPhone has been unlocked! Woot!

It's a feeling of elation that is seldom felt.

canonafficionado
25th March 2009, 06:23 PM
Nice one Semio!

Good to hear it's all finally worked.

There's a lot to like about the phone!

FiXPOD
7th April 2009, 03:11 AM
Is it just me, or does everyone else think $150 for an unlock is verging on criminal?

Does anyone know if they give concessions for people who travel overseas to places with no telstra roaming partner? Three did this for me when I picked out some obscure country.

canonafficionado
7th April 2009, 03:19 AM
Having spoken to them in the last week or so, I'd imagine there would be no dice from them no matter what the location of travel or circumstance for an unlock.