PDA

View Full Version : Video for website Please help - totally CLUELESS!

Melinda Phillips
23rd March 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Everyone

Have just joined this forum in the hopes of finding someone who could help me.

Now, I'm not up to date with all the computer lingo so would need any info written in simple easy to follow, step by step terms. I can only get technical about horse breeding and genetics ;)

I have an older mac, I think os x tiger?

I want to put a video:

Creature Features - Gypsy Cob Horse (http://www.abc.net.au/creaturefeatures/facts/gypsyhorse.htm)

onto my website:

Surrey Springs Performance Horses & Gypsy Cobs - Breeding & Importing Exceptional Quality (http://www.surreysprings.com)

I have a copy of the program on a CD from the ABC as I was the one doing the interview and program was at our horse stud so am allowed to use it as long as I do the usual linking back.

(Also, I know that I have a problem with my drop down menus on the site and various things I need to get done so please excuse those for the time being)

How in the heck do I put video on my website? If it helps the original template I used was called butterflies and it was from all web co designs

I have the MX programs such as dreamweaver and flash etc, only used dreamweaver wouldn't have a clue about flash and of course I use adobe photoshop for all my images.

If I can avoid it I don't want to have to buy expensive programs to do it, I don't even know what programs I could possibly use anyway (clueless I know) I have been trying to do some research on the net but I just get so totally confused and don't know where to start. I guess free stuff would be best because if it doesn't work then I haven't wasted money.

Thanks for reading and any info would be so great,

Melinda

Cybix
23rd March 2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Melinda, welcome to Mactalk.

What format is the source video file in? (the one on the CD from the ABC?) Or at least what is the file extension? MOV, WMV, MP4, etc?

It might be a simple matter of uploading the video to your web server and embedding a little 'quicktime' code to make it play (depending on what format the video is). Otherwise it could be converted first, then uploaded. You could also upload the video to youtube or Vimeo and then 'embed' the code to your site (code provided by vimeo or youtube).

Feel free to PM me, or reply here.. whichever.