PDA

View Full Version : Essential Installs!

Dogga
10th June 2004, 04:25 PM
Hi All,
Am about to take my new PB home and connect to the internet.
Just wondering what are the essential downloads and installs I should perform? ( service packs, utilities , cool apps etc);.
Does the Mac OS have a compression tool I should be installing ( like Zip ? )
Is Safari any good, or should I install Mozilla, Firefox etc ?
Any cool free timewasting games? ( am taking it travelling )

Thanks in advance,

Disko
10th June 2004, 04:37 PM
The first thing you should do is run software update. If you're hardcore like me, you'll run it every day to check for new updates.

MacOS X comes bundled with its own zip expander, as well as Aladdin's Stuffit Expander which works with most archives. So you wont be needing one of them...

Safari is great, but it's good to keep a secondary browser incase a page is coded poorly (for IE). I'd reccommend Camino 0.8 over Firefox on Mac. OS X does ship with IE for mac as well - but it's a slow, laggy piece of crap, and i don't reccomend using it unless you absolutley have to.

Time wasting games eh? Well - for that i just don't know. :)

Check out this thread for further suggestions: http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=21

Dogga
10th June 2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry to be a complete n00b , but does Mac have an autoupdate feature or do I have to go somewhere on the apple page?

decryption
10th June 2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Dogga@Jun 10 2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry to be a complete n00b , but does Mac have an autoupdate feature or do I have to go somewhere on the apple page?
Click the Apple icon in the top left hand corner, and choose "Software Update".
Voila ;)

rice mac
10th June 2004, 05:53 PM
If you go into System Preferences, you can set Software Update to check for updates on a daily, weekly or monthly basis on it's own.
Personally, I usually wait a few days before installing the update. I had a few experiences in the early days of OS X that made me less gung-ho.