PDA

View Full Version : Undecided on which MacBook to buy

dche5390
20th March 2009, 07:49 AM
Hi folks,

So my sister passed her basic training part 1 exam for becoming a physician. She's decided to reward herself with a Mac. Finally.

Having browsed through the refurb store, I note there's a previous generation $1399 white MB refurb. The regular off-the-shelf new gen white MacBook is $1649, and this comes with all the newer parts and shit (and a much nicer box I must add). And to further complicate things, theres a you-beaut (excuse my wannabe yobbo) refurb base model 2.0GHz MB for $1799.

Now, in terms of value, I would say the refurb unibody is the best. However, I reckon my sis wants one quicksmart so a wait till next tues/weds for a refurb may be too long and aggravating. I think this warrants a trip down to the Sydney store.

A saving of a mere $200 seems insignificant for upgraded specs. However, for another $150 odd she can get a friggin awesome new unibod MB.

Since she's slaving off for the govt in some hospital, I've got the responsibility of the younger hippy geeky brother to buy it for her (plus I work 5 minutes away from the store so I've no excuse).

On another note. Since my partner has access to EDU store, can she flash her (now now steady there cowboy, ave that kleenex for later) student card at the store and get the EDU price there and then? And for tax purposes, will the glossy printed receipt suffice for my sis? I'll pay cash so it doesn't have my CC/EFT details on there to complicate things.

What do you guys think?
Having purchased from the refurb store twice, I like it. TNT not so much. But we've already got a TNT basing thread.

Cheers,
Dan

Trabb
20th March 2009, 07:57 AM
You can get Edu discount at the Sydney store, and they will print you a receipt and send a copy to an email address if you like... either would be fine for tax.

Although, if you buy a refurb most likely it will be coming from Sydney (I believe they come from Sydney... I might be wrong?) which means it will usually ship that day (if you buy in the morning) or next day... so not too long to wait.

EDIT: Oh, and my recommendation would be to get either the refurb unibody or a new one.

lukemc
20th March 2009, 08:18 AM
the refurbs ship out to you next morning in sydney from experience

lazydesi
20th March 2009, 08:21 AM
the refurbs ship out to you next morning in sydney from experience

yep same day shipping, so that you will recieve it by next day

lukemc
20th March 2009, 08:24 AM
yeah, i received them both by 11am the next day

dche5390
20th March 2009, 08:41 AM
Interesting, as I ordered my refurb on Friday 2pm and had it delivered on Tuesday 9am. Even Auspost does things over the weekend.

Instant gratification vs price vs model...oooh the dilemma!

Trabb
20th March 2009, 08:56 AM
The 2.0 in the refurb store sounds like the goer... but yeah, all up to you!

Huy
20th March 2009, 09:23 AM
If you can't wait, go to the Apple Store and pay cash, flash the student card, get the 2.0 for $2019. Instant gratification.

Otherwise wait around on the Refurb Store for 2.0 or 2.4, whatever is available and whatever you can afford at the time. Refurb prices are $1799 and $2149 respectively I believe (not 100% on the 2.4 price). :)

bennettnz
20th March 2009, 09:49 AM
I reckon the refurb unibody would be my first choice followed by a new unibody.

iCarllovesapple
21st March 2009, 01:19 AM
Buy the best Mac you can afford! If you can... Buy the NEW white enclosure Macbook as the specs are better! :)

dche5390
21st March 2009, 08:08 AM
Since MTAU was down yesterday heres an update. My sister opted for the new white MacBook. Another PC-user converted to the light dare I say.

EDIT: having a MBP myself, I was turned off at the washed out display of the MB. Yuck!