PDA

View Full Version : Help for claiming insurance for my PowerBook

Bethro
19th March 2009, 09:42 PM
Some people might find this thread immoral, you have been warned!

After a recent thread which got on to the subject of insurance, I remembered that my Powerbook which died recently was covered on my house and contents insurance and that maybe I could claim something for it. My Powerbook's hard drive died and I haven't done ahything about fixing it because I don't know if it is worth it when it also needs a new battery and more RAM and considering it is nearly 5 years old, I thought I might be beating a dead horse.

So, I called my insurance broker today and told her a white lie and said I had dropped it and I am not sure it would be worth fixing. She told me to get a quote to get it fixed, and give them a quote on replacing it with a new one. She said if I can get a tech to say it isn't worth fixing, they will replace it, otherwise, it is $100 excess to have it fixed.

So, my question is, any tips on getting a tech to say it is not worth fixing? (thereby allowing me to get a new MacBook Pro?)
I know it is wrong, but I pay insurance and I would like to once in a while get something out of it!!

Thanks in advance!

PatrickH
19th March 2009, 09:55 PM
Really, you can get anyone.

It's not as though you have to be accredited to say a machine is/is not working.

That said, wouldn't your conscience be pounding you one if you got that new notebook?

phoenixonline
19th March 2009, 10:07 PM
Just accidently drop the powerbook on its corner next time you pick it up. Problem solved.

Take it to an Apple store and say that it you dropped it and it doesn't work. How much would it cost to get it working again. How much for a new one. Get both in writing.

Easy and as a bonus you haven't even lied to anyone.

Bethro
19th March 2009, 10:09 PM
....That said, wouldn't your conscience be pounding you one if you got that new notebook?

Hmm....not really....does that make me a bad person???
I do know that this is morally grey, but I pay out thousands in insurance, surely I should get something back from it every now and then! I am sorry however if I am offending anyone.

Bethro
19th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Just accidently drop the powerbook on its corner next time you pick it up. Problem solved.

Take it to an Apple store and say that it you dropped it and it doesn't work. How much would it cost to get it working again. How much for a new one. Get both in writing.

Easy and as a bonus you haven't even lied to anyone.

Yes I have considered this. But, as it stands, the only thing that is REALLY wrong with it is the hard drive, even though like I said it does need a new battery because the battery literally lasts about 3 minutes, and it needs more RAM. But, I don't know how likely a tech is to include this in an insurance quote because it isn't actually vital to the machine working again. So, to replace the hard drive, is probably $300-400, which obviously is cheaper than a new machine.

And by the way, I have dropped the thing several times, it just happens that it always worked afterwards.

(Furthermore, I would like to get out of this without completely ruining the machine, in case I desperately need a backup in the future I could put a hard drive in it and have it working again).

dekco
19th March 2009, 11:45 PM
i doubt any technician is going to give you a written statement that it isnt worth fixing. i had a rolex watch that was worth SG$1600; the repairs came out to about SG$2200, the insurance company just paid for the repairs, and wouldnt let me have it any other way. Even though i couldve gotten a much better one for SG$2200

cosmichobo
19th March 2009, 11:50 PM
Do you like high premiums?

LCGuy
20th March 2009, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't bother...if you do do an insurance job, as cosmichobo said, your premiums are going to be upped, meaning that you'll probably spend more paying extra for your insurance in the future than you would to just go out and buy a hard drive.

Bethro
20th March 2009, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't bother...if you do do an insurance job, as cosmichobo said, your premiums are going to be upped, meaning that you'll probably spend more paying extra for your insurance in the future than you would to just go out and buy a hard drive.

Hmm...interesting. I will talk to my broker and my father about this. This makes me angry though, what is the point of having insurance if you pay more for it every time you actually use it. I understand with car insurance, people that have more accidents are a higher liability, but after 20 years with the same insurance policy I think we have claimed one thing, a stolen mobile phone.

NathR32
20th March 2009, 08:56 AM
Maybe save up and buy a new laptop yourself?
Why bother trying to do an insurance job on an old laptop and have to pay higher premiums etc.

Bethro
20th March 2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe save up and buy a new laptop yourself?
Why bother trying to do an insurance job on an old laptop and have to pay higher premiums etc.

yes, it's sounding like maybe this is the best option.
Which is of course is what I was planning before the insurance idea popped in to my head.

~Coxy
20th March 2009, 09:31 AM
Hmm...interesting. I will talk to my broker and my father about this. This makes me angry though, what is the point of having insurance if you pay more for it every time you actually use it. I understand with car insurance, people that have more accidents are a higher liability, but after 20 years with the same insurance policy I think we have claimed one thing, a stolen mobile phone.

Seems funny that you would try to defraud your insurer and then complain that your premiums will go up if you make a claim!

Personally I don't really care whether you do claim it or not, but it is a bit rich to complain about it. Plenty of different insurers will offer you discounts or cash back if you don't make any claims, from what I've seen they generally don't offer accidental breakage insurance though.

gilligan911
20th March 2009, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you are coming around to a more sensible position. Apart from the whole lying is bad thing, what you suggested is criminal fraud and having posted about it on the interwebs your chances of getting caught are higher.

Just for the sake of clarification this is what a "white lie" is:

A white lie would cause no discord if it were uncovered, and offers some benefit to the liar, the hearer, or both. White lies are often used to avoid offense, such as complimenting something one finds unattractive. In this case, the lie is told to avoid the harmful realistic implications of the truth. As a concept, it is largely defined by local custom and cannot be clearly separated from other lies with any authority.

It is not deliberately lying to an insurance company for the purpose of dishonestly getting a new computer. This is not a "morally grey" area.

Anyway, I will hop down from my horse now...

dekco
20th March 2009, 09:42 AM
not to mention the "job" of intentionally breaking and claiming it on insurance borderlines fraud.

edit:gilligan911 just got that in before i did. but totally agree with your post.

tokevmur
20th March 2009, 09:54 AM
"I know it is wrong"

So why do it?

Years ago I read a quote that said "A white lie is just a black lie dressed in gentlemen's clothing."

Do the right thing. Don't claim. Don't make the rest of us pay increased premiums because ultimately that's who is paying for your new computer us, and everyone else who insures with your particular company.

Bethro
21st March 2009, 01:38 AM
Of course you are all right. I think this was more an exercise of me thinking out loud more than anything, and with your help, I have come to the conclusion that that new Mac Book was a pipe dream.

I do want to clarify however that the 'white lie' I told was not specifically to 'defraud' the insurance company, it was more an attempt to get some information out of the broker as to what exactly I was covered for, as I wasn't actually sure. It was a 'so this happened....what exactly am I covered for in regards to this item?' type of scenario.

I have also since discovered that as the item is listed separately, basically has its own separate cover, claiming for it would not affect the premiums of my cover. Not that that matters, because thanks to you all my conscience has won out.