PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Unibody, OK 2 Buy Now? Ver.2 Very Close?

Antonino Giglio
19th March 2009, 07:55 PM
I know I know... same old question but...

I'm finally very close to buy a new MacBook and I heard that they may be close to an update, maybe version 2?

Can anyone confirm the suspect? If the update will be in 6 months time then I'll buy it now but if it will be in 1-2 months that I can stretch myself a bit and wait.

Suggestions? :p

NathR32
19th March 2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think they will be revised anytime soon. Buy now if you can afford.

NeoRicen
19th March 2009, 08:01 PM
In the past few years the cycle has been November>May>November>May. The latest revision was October, so the next revision could be April/May, however if Apple's record on desktops is anything to go by they could be 6 months away. Even if they are updated very soon, the update would be very minimal, so there's no point waiting.

I say buy. Nothing huge is coming from Intel regarding notebooks until later this year, so any revisions before that will be negligible.

lazydesi
19th March 2009, 08:09 PM
new version will be out in oct 09

Trabb
19th March 2009, 08:29 PM
new version will be out in oct 09

you seem very certain of that!

NeoRicen
19th March 2009, 08:35 PM
There's new Intel chips around then, but he's getting a bit ahead of himself assuming Apple will adopt them immediately (which they might). Also, that doesn't preclude the possibility of a refresh between now and then.

melbmac
19th March 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm aiming to own one by June regardless of any pending updates...

IMO, if you need it now, and have the money now, you should buy it now and enjoy using it now.

NeoRicen
19th March 2009, 08:51 PM
The economy can't afford for you to wait!

:p

Huy
19th March 2009, 09:03 PM
I heard that they may be close to an update, maybe version 2?

Where did you hear this? :)

Antonino Giglio
19th March 2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks guy!!! :)

HUY, I can't recall, I think someone here on MacTalk...

Antonino Giglio
19th March 2009, 10:08 PM
Ok, a last suggestion.. would you go for the more expensive model? Is it worth the price difference?
And the illuminated keyboard is a must-have? Does it work well? Or is it only a gadget?
Thanks a lot!!! :)

Huy
19th March 2009, 10:11 PM
I went for the 2.4 model. I feel it is worth it in my opinion because I rely on the backlit.

The backlit is not a 'must have' (necessity) but it is a 'nice to have' (luxury). Depends on your usage whether it's in a well lit room or at night, etc.

It works very well for ambient sensing and is a 'gimmick' but one that works well - especially if it's dark and you need to find some keys. I used to have a 2.0 model but quickly missed the backlit so I went for the 2.4. Speed and HDD bumps are good as well.

That was my justification, having tried the MBA keyboard (love it), I couldn't go back to a non-backlit keyboard (2.0 model).

NeoRicen
19th March 2009, 10:49 PM
Question regarding the backlit keys I've always wanted to ask, just to take the opportunity. What's wrong with the massive screen right there above the keyboard?

Huy
19th March 2009, 10:55 PM
You mean, the screen itself should be enough to identify keys/provide light on the keys? Is that what you mean?

Strangely enough, the 2.0 model keys appear pitch black (letters) even with the screen at 100% brightness (in my experience). I guess it's the angle of the light reflecting off them, they're not pointing down onto the keyboard.

Does this make sense? Whereas the 2.4 backlit will have the light shining from underneath the keys straight up, so that it hits your eyes.

cejay
19th March 2009, 11:06 PM
2.0 or 2.4 depends entirely on what you use it for.

I have the 2.0, don't have a need for a backlit keyboard and an upgraded HDD and memory wasn't that expensive (it's about 1/2 the price of the price differential from the two models).

Performance is very good and totally meets my needs. I love the size and portability.

But like so many things, buy the best that you can afford. The speed difference must make a difference, just for my needs it wasn't a problem.

If the 2.4 is going to break the bank but the 2.0 is affordable, then you won't be unhappy with the 2.0.

melbmac
20th March 2009, 08:42 AM
Question regarding the backlit keys I've always wanted to ask, just to take the opportunity. What's wrong with the massive screen right there above the keyboard?

I used to think the same thing, but it really does very, very little to help you see the keys (the screen that is)...

It probably throws enough light onto the keys, but becasue your eyes are adjusted to a big bright rectangle smack in front of you in an other wise (relatively) dark room you can't see s*** on the keyboard.

Illuminated keyboards FTW.

melbmac
20th March 2009, 08:44 AM
Ok, a last suggestion.. would you go for the more expensive model? Is it worth the price difference?
And the illuminated keyboard is a must-have? Does it work well? Or is it only a gadget?
Thanks a lot!!! :)

My woman got one recently, we went over the options vs the dollars and decided that it was worth it for her. As people have already said, they're both great computers, get whatever your finances allow.

lazydesi
20th March 2009, 08:57 AM
you seem very certain of that!

if they miss thet period, they gonna miss the whole christmas sales. I bet Apple don't do like that

Trabb
20th March 2009, 09:05 AM
if they miss thet period, they gonna miss the whole christmas sales. I bet Apple don't do like that

That's probably why they just updated about 80% of their computers a couple of weeks ago?

~Coxy
20th March 2009, 09:27 AM
I personally don't find the illuminated keyboards useful at all. In low-light you're making the keys into white lettering on silver background, which is too low contrast to see easily. In no-light your eyes adjust to the dark well enough to be able to read them just by the light of the screen anyway.

Lutze
20th March 2009, 09:32 AM
I've got to admit - I want the backlit keyboard - not because it will be usefull, I touch type and don't ever have to look where I'm typing.... I just want it because it's funky.

<<<< sad gadget freak.

Antonino Giglio
21st March 2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks to all of you guys for your precious suggestions! :D
I went for the MacBook with lilluminated keyboard as, I think, I'm also a gadget freak! :P