PDA

View Full Version : When Will We Get The New Ibook

AWSEM Films
29th May 2005, 07:44 AM
The company I work for have just take my trusty ibook off me and its time to update

Apple has alway released new models every 6 months, so why the change in its policy

Are they still having problems getting better cpu's from IBM ?

I have been watching all the rumor sites but nothing

I hate to thing that I'll end up with windows based machine

:angry:

any ideas

help

Snowy28
29th May 2005, 08:19 AM
If you're just getting a new iBook on lease from work then just get a current one. However, they are hinted at June 6th. If you need an iBook for work, just get a current model, don't worry about the revisions, anything's better than having to get a windows!

Kildare
29th May 2005, 11:59 AM
This has been thrown around a bit on here lately.
The basic answer is no one knows for sure.

Although I can't envisage the update being a massive one.

the_OM
29th May 2005, 12:18 PM
iBook chips are from freescale (motorola) by the way, not ibm.

gaehl
31st May 2005, 05:42 PM
Basically until Mr Jobs announces them or they appear on the Apple website no one has any idea when any new apple products are going to arrive.

I also think that if they do update the iBook it will be a very minor update other wise the iBooks will start eating into the Powerbooks sale especially in the 12"

mvjs
31st May 2005, 05:51 PM
Its really no Apple "Policy" on how often they introduce iBooks, its only when Apple fell an update it neccercry, they'll make one :)

AWSEM Films
31st May 2005, 11:30 PM
Its really no Apple "Policy" on how often they introduce iBooks, its only when Apple fell an update it neccercry, they'll make one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to be joking

Showed this to members of the Apple Users group

They are still all laughing

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/style_images/1/icon6.gif

frenchtoast
31st May 2005, 11:35 PM
If iBooks were to be updated they would be positioned in such a manner that they would severely eat into Powerbook sales.

uncyherb
1st June 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@May 31 2005, 11:35 PM
If iBooks were to be updated they would be positioned in such a manner that they would severely eat into Powerbook sales.
This is the rub at the moment.

Other than graphics and bus speeds, the ibook is pretty close to the powerbook now (okay, Screens and FW800 as well... screen size & resolution makes a diff... I'm not so sure about FW800 tho')

If the iBook were to be updated BEFORE a new powerbook, then pb sales would drop off.

So a better question is "When will the PB's be updated?"

And then we get back to the old question of G5 or dual-core G4?

As others have pointed out... "now" is the only right time to buy a computer. Otherwise you'll ALWAYS be waiting for the next thing on the horizon.

Phillip
1st June 2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@May 31 2005, 11:30 PM
You have to be joking

There's nothing with that statement. Apple doesn't come out and say 'expect a new iBook in 6-9 months'. They do it when they need to - depending on supply and demand. Obviously if the PC notebooks at that price point is beating the iBook by miles, then Apple would update it. Right now it's doing quite nicely. Plus updating it right now would cannibalise PowerBook sales, since they were only updated a few months ago.

In my opinion, they will update when the states have their 'back to school' sales. Which should be soon (I think).

AWSEM Films
1st June 2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Jun 1 2005, 12:39 AM
There's nothing with that statement. Apple doesn't come out and say 'expect a new iBook in 6-9 months'. They do it when they need to - depending on supply and demand. Obviously if the PC notebooks at that price point is beating the iBook by miles, then Apple would update it. Right now it's doing quite nicely. Plus updating it right now would cannibalise PowerBook sales, since they were only updated a few months ago.

In my opinion, they will update when the states have their 'back to school' sales. Which should be soon (I think).
Okay lets look at that last statement

Acer Lap Top at Office works
1.4 Gig machine 1 Meg cache 400 mhz FSB
256 Mrg Ram
40 Gig Hard Drive
CD-RW/Dvd Combo
14" Screen
Price Aust include GST $997.00

Apple Ibook
1.2 Gig machine 512k cache 133 mhz FSB
256 Mrg Ram
30 Gig Hard Drive
CD-RW/Dvd Combo
12" Screen
Price Aust include GST $1,599.00

what did you say about

They do it when they need to - depending on supply and demand. Obviously if the PC notebooks at that price point is beating the iBook by miles, then Apple would update it. Right now it's doing quite nicely

So what do you call the above comparison

OziMac
1st June 2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@Jun 1 2005, 08:54 AM
Okay lets look at that last statement

Acer Lap Top at Office works
1.4 Gig machine 1 Meg cache 400 mhz FSB
256 Mrg Ram
40 Gig Hard Drive
CD-RW/Dvd Combo
14" Screen
Price Aust include GST $997.00

Apple Ibook
1.2 Gig machine 512k cache 133 mhz FSB
256 Mrg Ram
30 Gig Hard Drive
CD-RW/Dvd Combo
12" Screen
Price Aust include GST $1,599.00

what did you say about

They do it when they need to - depending on supply and demand. Obviously if the PC notebooks at that price point is beating the iBook by miles, then Apple would update it. Right now it's doing quite nicely

What did you say about..... what?

A few things about your comparison -

- I haven't found any such ACER available from Officeworks, but Dick Smith does indeed have it at $997.

- It is a Celeron M - so it's performance is nothing to write home about, and the iBook G4 is comparable if not better.

- What is an Mrg?

- The ACER comes with Windows XP Home - the iBook comes with Tiger. And iLife 05. And the other iApps - similar Windows software would add several hundred dollars to the equation.

- The ACER has onboard graphics - the iBook has 32MB VRAM on a Radeon 9200.

- The iBook comes with 802.11g wireless built in.

- Although the ACER doesn't quote battery life, the iBook does 4-5 hours standing on its head.

The ACER may be cheaper, but it is not better value by far.

In short, to answer your question, so close to the cusp of WWDC next week, it's worth waiting to see what they have to say there. Whilst iBooks are unlikely at a Pro conference such as WWDC, you never know what they'll come up with - and it is one of Apple's three major annual events. In any case, I don't think a new iBook is too far off, but it is likely that it will probably come on the heels of a new Powerbook. If your company is in a rush and you can't justify the price difference between a crappy ACER and a decent iBook, then you might have to be resigned to the Wintel box.

And as a last note - if you're going to be taking forum members' quite valid posted opinions and showing them to your Apple users group for a laugh, perhaps you should be asking them for their thoughts, rather than shooting down someone who actually had a go at answering your question.

mwot
1st June 2005, 10:21 AM
AWSEM Films - do you think you could use the Quote button a little more. It will make your posts easier to read and to decipher what is your comment and what is not.

On topic, I think product release is more to do with marketing - demand is only a small component of that. I don't see anyone picketing Apple for better iBook specs - they are decent machines as they are and I'd buy one in a snap - wallet willing :)

the_OM
1st June 2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@May 31 2005, 11:30 PM
Its really no Apple "Policy" on how often they introduce iBooks, its only when Apple fell an update it neccercry, they'll make one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to be joking

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/style_images/1/icon6.gif
Apple are notorious for having different update periods.
For instance, the ibook could be released, then updated after 6 months, then 9 months, then back to 6 months. It happens all the time.

Displays I think at one time weren't updated for about a year. and the powemac G5's have been updated only twice in the past 2 years.

So stop being such an asshole to what people are saying and take that to you Apple user group to laugh at.

SRG
1st June 2005, 11:15 AM
Get feeling may not be that far away.

Both Next Byte and now David Jones are doing free Ram upgrades on Ibooks.

Have noticed in the past once you start seeing free stuff from Apple that an upgrade is not to far off.

Suspect any refresh would address base mem (so the 512) and perhaps HD space.

As noted they don't want to push them to close to PB.

Also agree the ACER is not a real comparsion when it is all added up.

For the record I have an ACER travelmate.

Phillip
1st June 2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@Jun 1 2005, 08:54 AM
what did you say about

I won't go into the iBook verses Some PC notebook argument because its been argued to death.

I will say thought, it could also be a sales point of view. Apple had a pretty good first quarter with iBook/PowerBook sales. So if Apple's iBook sales are still doing well, there's no point to upgrade it because it might cannibalize PowerBook sales.

No one is forcing you to wait for an iBook. I assume, cause you haven't bought the other notebook. And you should ask yourself why you haven't. It obviously is worth more than the $600 between the two notebooks. And if you are going to wait, then please, be patient about it. You ain't Steve Jobs.

internet
1st June 2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by minardifan@Jun 1 2005, 11:15 AM
Get feeling may not be that far away.

woah a minardi fan!
good luck in canada boys!

AWSEM Films
1st June 2005, 06:41 PM
From a well respected American web site

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Product: iBook
Last Release: October 19, 2004
Days Since Update: 225 (Average = 158)
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't use a Dos machine if you gave it to me

Just trying to get some talk going, apple reads sites that go against the norm

Buts I can see this site will not be of any interest to then
They seem to have every one here already under the thumb

will go back to US sites where people really like to discuss there sorts of comments
and don't crumble at the 1st sign of disagreeing with Big Brother

aswitcher
1st June 2005, 07:47 PM
I am half expecting something next week for iBooks, new form factor is my bet

the_OM
1st June 2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@Jun 1 2005, 06:41 PM

will go back to US sites where people really like to discuss there sorts of comments
Kids, this post highlights why drugs are bad.

frenchtoast
1st June 2005, 10:38 PM

Mac Rumors Buyers Guide. Thats about as accurate as a blind man with a gun.

hmm .. does anyone recall how long the Powerbooks on that page had the magic words : Don't Buy - Updates soon

titan44
1st June 2005, 11:06 PM

WTF?

<trolldetector>
.....sniff
</trolldetector>

It&#39;s simple.

If you NEED a new machine now, get one.
If you can wait, wait

I understand that the company is bankrolling it? it&#39;s no loss of coin out of your pocket.

Current ibooks are fine if you are doing what they are built to do.

Hell, i&#39;m typing this in a g3 iBook, and it runs like a dream for day to day stuff ( email, &#39;net, WP e.t.c.).

spargo
1st June 2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@Jun 1 2005, 09:41 AM

will go back to US sites where people really like to discuss there sorts of comments and don&#39;t crumble at the 1st sign of disagreeing with Big Brother
Hopefully they&#39;ve got an in-built grammar-checker..

Have fun&#33; :)

AWSEM Films
2nd June 2005, 10:18 AM
The fact that Jobs is even appearing on stage this weekend seems to indicate some kind of announcement, and not to just rehashing what&#39;s already available.

As all of the Macs line up have now been updated then is makes good sense

iBooks will be updated this week, or if not will be next Monday,

If iBooks are not updated this week, I&#39;ll expect a newly redesigned iBook next Monday.

As I said none of the rest of the Mac line, except for the mini is due for improvements.

Yes the Ibook will eat into Powerbook sales, but with a G5 Powerbook just around the corner all the sites are saying it will not worry Apple in the long term

Guess we will have to wait and see

chocho
2nd June 2005, 11:17 AM
and the band played on.......

OziMac
2nd June 2005, 11:24 AM
Yep. I will enjoy eating crow when Jobs unveils the new consumer machine at the Pro conference - and we&#39;ve obviously just been given the scoop that this will definitely happen by Monday, so let us rejoice&#33; Eat that Macrumors&#33; :rolleyes:

Soap
2nd June 2005, 11:26 AM
If you go to a store that sells Apple product, hand over your money you will get a NEW iBook.

how hard is that?

chocho
2nd June 2005, 11:32 AM
yes, and Britney Spears is also rumoured to do a pole dance while Jobs is giving the keynote&#33; how about that for a rumour :D

AWSEM Films
2nd June 2005, 04:13 PM
Durling lunch time I dropped in to David Jones

The Sales man told ne they been told to clear current IBooks. Apple are helping by doubling the ram at no cost and a free copy of Tiger

A short time ago they did the same thing with the Imac, 6 days leter we got the upgraded IMac announcement

I may be brave but have money waiting

New Ibook announcment next week

Kreats
2nd June 2005, 04:29 PM
new ibook or speed bumped ibook, wonder which it will be?

nez
2nd June 2005, 06:02 PM
I dunno why you guys are arguing. If a new ibook comes, then we all benefit. Move along people.

the_OM
2nd June 2005, 07:33 PM
if its an update it&#39;ll be a speed bump.
I can&#39;t see why they&#39;d release a whole new line at wwdc. Developers who can afford to go most likely have powerbooks, or the companies that pay for them to go would buy powerbooks.

Danamania
2nd June 2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@May 29 2005, 07:44 AM
Apple has alway released new models every 6 months, so why the change in its policy

There&#39;s no such policy - iBook releases have come anywhere from 3 to 8 months after the previous models.

We&#39;re coming up to 8 months since the last release though, so it&#39;s likely a new model will appear soon - It&#39;s not unusual for Apple to release a few pieces of hardware after special events, especially if they don&#39;t fit into the event theme. With WWDC being for Developers, if there&#39;s no iBook by next keynote on June 6th, I&#39;d put a high likelihood of one being released in the fortnight after WWDC.

dana

jobe
2nd June 2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by AWSEM Films@Jun 2 2005, 04:13 PM
The Sales man told ne they been told to clear current IBooks. Apple are helping by doubling the ram at no cost and a free copy of Tiger
WHAT?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; A FREE copy of tiger with a new apple computer? You don&#39;t say...?

lol. This thread is pool room material (if we had one). You&#39;ve made my night mate. Thanks

ooda
2nd June 2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Jun 2 2005, 09:47 PM
WHAT?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; A FREE copy of tiger with a new apple computer? You don&#39;t say...?

lol. This thread is pool room material (if we had one). You&#39;ve made my night mate. Thanks
Free or free like what we get with the mac mini, where you have to send in &#036;15 to get the dvd?

AWSEM Films
3rd June 2005, 08:43 AM
Its easy to sit and make smart remarks

If you buy any of the run out apple products or an Ibook or Mini Mac

you have to pay extra for the dvd Tiger

So free is not free even though it is new

I don&#39;t care if it is new ibook (which I doubt) or just a speed bump which I expect
and a nice bluetooth included like they did with the new IMac
and if I&#39;m really lucky an 80 gig HD to boot

Maybe even the 8 speed dual layer burner as these are now standars across the desktop line up

No matter what it is, I get one when its released

What&#39;s wrong with dreaming
Its dreams that made the world what is is to day

OziMac
3rd June 2005, 09:41 AM
Well - we&#39;ve worked out that:

1. No one has any information or rumours (beyond idle speculation) as to when the new iBooks will be released.

2. Past history would indicate that iBook updates are due.

3. WWDC is taking place in a few days, which although an official Apple event, is a Pro developers conference, and not one where you&#39;d expect consumer releases - but it&#39;s still possible.

4. David Jones (during their regular annual stocktake sale) is selling current model iBooks with a free RAM upgrade and a &#39;free&#39; Tiger installation DVD (even though Apple lists Tiger as coming for free with new iBooks anyway).

Given that we&#39;re treading the same ground, no new information at all has come to light and the atmosphere here is starting to get a little unpleasant, this thread has run its course. Let&#39;s reconvene after WWDC, or whenever there&#39;s some further solid information.