PDA

View Full Version : I think my ethernet port shat itself...

pwnT
18th March 2009, 10:17 PM
This afternoon, I was using the internet. All of a sudden, my connection was cut off... I thought nothing of it as it happened once before and it was actually the ISP that died for a bit. So I went to uni and did my crap...

When I came home, it still didn't work.... So I thought it was dead still.... But my room mate came in, and he jumped on his computer and was surfing the net and doing what he does on the internets... Meanwhile, you have me... Ethernet not connected...

At the moment, I'm posting from the uni's wireless network, but I also have my own ISP which connects through the PPPoE ethernet port thingy. I was working on windows when this happened, but I've also tried to connect or at least get some sort of connection working. Windows says my hardware is working fine (but somehow can't connect to anything via ethernet). But OSX tells me that an ethernet cable isn't connected.

What do I do mactalk?

Oh yeah, the MacBook is the aluminium macbook which came out late last year... First mac I've owned and I'm not really enjoying it................................................ .................................................. .................................................. ....................................... *head explodes*

Did I mention I have a presentation due tomorrow? And... I've spent all night trying to fix this >_<

Sorry if I sound like a douche right now, but I'm sooo stressed out right now for the presentation... =,=

*edit*
I bought my macbook last year, October 2008 =p

iCarllovesapple
18th March 2009, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry you're experiencing this problem. Mac's are the best platform out there. You know it, you just are angry at the moment.. I have felt like you many times! :)
Ok. This is the way it works.. Call Apple, they'll give you a few troubleshooting steps. Follow them, if they do not work go to an Apple re-seller and ask them to fix it. This is covered under your warranty so you will not need to pay for anything! If you have only had your Mac for 14 days Apple will simply replace your Mac! :)
I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues, but you will love your mac! ;)

ath
19th March 2009, 12:09 AM
I have had a similar issue (mind you, it was with a first gen macbook pro, not these new flashy things), and the problem lies with the motherboard. See, the ethernet port is connected directly to the motherboard, meaning (from what I was told) that in order to fix the ethernet port, you needed to replace part, if not the whole motherboard, resulting in an expensive activity not worth the expenditure.

I hope it's still under warranty. As for the presentation, print out a hand book and go for it with posters. They'll love the ingenuity and improv considering you explain the situation.

And as for iCarllovesapple, Mac's are the best platform out there? Either you have apple wool covering your eyes, or you have invested interest :)

ClockWork
19th March 2009, 12:17 AM
Logical elimination: Step 1

Swap your Ethernet Cable for your mate's. If his works, then yours is bummed.

or...

In Mac OS X, click on the top-left Apple Menu and scroll down to: System Preferences...
In System Preferences, click once on : Network - looks like a bluish crystal ball, and see what it says about your connection, as in, what colour sphere is to the left of Built-in Ethernet, and what other information is there.

pwnT
19th March 2009, 06:09 AM
I have had a similar issue (mind you, it was with a first gen macbook pro, not these new flashy things), and the problem lies with the motherboard. See, the ethernet port is connected directly to the motherboard, meaning (from what I was told) that in order to fix the ethernet port, you needed to replace part, if not the whole motherboard, resulting in an expensive activity not worth the expenditure.

I hope it's still under warranty. As for the presentation, print out a hand book and go for it with posters. They'll love the ingenuity and improv considering you explain the situation.

And as for iCarllovesapple, Mac's are the best platform out there? Either you have apple wool covering your eyes, or you have invested interest :)

Ahhhh shiet... just what I didn't need to hear... I hope it really isn't rooted... Thanks for the info though!

Logical elimination: Step 1

Swap your Ethernet Cable for your mate's. If his works, then yours is bummed.

or...

In Mac OS X, click on the top-left Apple Menu and scroll down to: System Preferences...
In System Preferences, click once on : Network - looks like a bluish crystal ball, and see what it says about your connection, as in, what colour sphere is to the left of Built-in Ethernet, and what other information is there.

Thanks for that ClockWork, but i've already tried that too. It says that the ethernet cable isn't connected. I've also tried swapping ethernet cables with my mate and I've tried out various ports through out the house. Nothing seems to be working as of yet...

Ahhhhhhhhhh... I think I need to save up for that apple care.... X_X

*NINJA EDIT!!!*
Whats the number for Apple again? And what times do their over the phone support thingy operate? The usual business hours of like 8am - 6pm or something? Or is it 24 hours?

gr8bob
19th March 2009, 07:06 AM
whats the number for apple again? And what times do their over the phone support thingy operate? The usual business hours of like 8am - 6pm or something? Or is it 24 hours?

133-mac ;)

ClockWork
19th March 2009, 07:32 AM
If your machine isn't over 1 year old, it still has the initial 1 Year of Apple Warranty on it, yet if it "is" over 1 year old, you can't just buy Apple Warranty to cover any current Hard Ware failure.

As long as it's under 12 months from point of purchase, you should be able to get it fixed for free.

Check it's Serial Number, by clicking once on the top-left Apple Menu and scrolling down to the first item: About This Mac.

The About This Mac window will appear. Under the glassy logo and just under the bold black heading of Mac OS X, you'll see, in smaller grey text: Version 10.5.6 - or something of that nature.

Click once on the Version 10.5.6 text and it will show you its Build - then click once on the Build text and its Serial Number will appear, a set of uppercase characters and numbers. Write that down and close the About This Mac window.

Next, go to: https :// selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do - type in that Serial Number, choose your country and then click the Continue button.

It will tell you how much warranty you have left.

cw

Goodbye
19th March 2009, 07:38 AM
If your machine isn't over 1 year old, it still has the initial 1 Year of Apple Warranty on it, yet if it "is" over 1 year old, you can't just buy Apple Warranty to cover any current Hard Ware failure.

As long as it's under 12 months from point of purchase, you should be able to get it fixed for free.

Check it's Serial Number, by clicking once on the top-left Apple Menu and scrolling down to the first item: About This Mac.

The About This Mac window will appear. Under the glassy logo and just under the bold black heading of Mac OS X, you'll see, in smaller grey text: Version 10.5.6 - or something of that nature.

Click once on the Version 10.5.6 text and it will show you its Build - then click once on the Build text and its Serial Number will appear, a set of uppercase characters and numbers. Write that down and close the About This Mac window.

Next, go to: https :// selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do - type in that Serial Number, choose your country and then click the Continue button.

It will tell you how much warranty you have left.

cw

Oh yeah, the MacBook is the aluminium macbook which came out late last year

*edit*
I bought my macbook last year, October 2008 =p

ClockWork
19th March 2009, 07:49 AM
Hey - for those who don't know - it's worth knowing how to find out quickly.

pwnT: if you really did buy it in October 2008, then yes, you're still covered by the 1 Year Apple warranty... but yeah - I'd still purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, after this one's been repaired.