PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been refused service because of a jailbroken iPhone?

ZacDavies
18th March 2009, 08:31 PM
Serious question..

You walk up to a Genius bar with a jailbroken phone, do you get turned away? Arrested? Excommunicated from Cupertino? All the help you wanted like you would with a normal phone?

Curious to hear any first hand stories, thanks!

Phase
18th March 2009, 08:33 PM
They put the iPhone in you.

sideways

Trabb
19th March 2009, 03:49 AM
Pretty sure they will refuse to service it, pointing out the policy and stuff. Probably make a note of it so even when you come back they will know it has been jailbroken.

tcn33
19th March 2009, 04:36 AM
Not firsthand, but a Genius told me recently that he had someone come in with a broken silent switch. It was jailbroken, but the Genius basically told the customer that as long as they could get it back to standard Apple firmware then he'd turn a blind eye.

Did a restore, but the custom carrier text (via MakeItMine or similar) was still there. Tried it again a couple of different ways but the custom carrier was still there. So the warranty was declared void.

Again, not firsthand but that's what the Genius says happened.

the_doctor
19th March 2009, 09:20 AM
A friend of a friend actually waited 2 hours to see a Genius to ask if they could Jailbreak his phone for him. Apparantly he didn't understand why the Genius laughed at him. This guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

dche5390
19th March 2009, 09:40 AM
This guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

A tool nonetheless!

~Coxy
19th March 2009, 09:45 AM
Technically if there's a hardware problem on the phone they shouldn't treat you any different if your phone is jailbroken or not. Especially for something as well-known as the silent switch, what the Genius did was out of line IMO.

Of course, Apple are pricks with their warranty so you'd probably need to argue about it.

WoWTopia
19th March 2009, 09:55 AM
Click restore load itunes back on if problem presists take it in and go look this isn't working they would never know it was jailbroken.

NathR32
19th March 2009, 10:15 AM
Click restore load itunes back on if problem presists take it in and go look this isn't working they would never know it was jailbroken.

Didn't someone mention they have a diagnostic tool that can tell if it has been jailbroken?

notarebel
19th March 2009, 11:11 AM
Didn't someone mention they have a diagnostic tool that can tell if it has been jailbroken?

Wouldn't be surprised if that's just some misinformation Apple is trying to perpetuate to scare people off jailbreaking. I've taken my iPhone to the genius bar that was jailbroken (I restored it back to unjailbroken firmware before I brought it in) and I didn't have any problems.

scruffie
19th March 2009, 04:50 PM

That's what a genius told me when I got my iPhone replaced once. Not sure whether its true though.

mallo
19th March 2009, 05:15 PM
That's what a genius told me when I got my iPhone replaced once. Not sure whether its true though.

I had my phone jailbroken, didnt like it, so restored back to standard config..about a month later had the home button start to die. took it in, the genious had a look in the headphone port to check if it was water damaged, of course, it wasnt, so he ran diagnostics on it (asked my permission first) and then swapped it over for a brand newie (or refurb, whatever the replacements are).

So my guess is, as long as you can restore it back so there is no visible traces of jailbreak (e.g custom carrier etc) than they can't tel.