PDA

View Full Version : MBP 2.4 or MB 2.4

Spectacular291
18th March 2009, 10:02 AM
Hello Again Guys and Dolls (stuff it im going to use that as my 'thing':p)

Firstly i thank you all in regards to my feedback in regards to the refurbished Apples - very helpful!

My new question for today is this:-

Should I go for the Macbook Pro 2.4 or the Macbook 2.4?

or should i wait for any new possible updates that might occur that i have no clue about? and if there are new updates - will they affect my decision on which purchase i make?

This is going to be my main computer - so it'l be running alot of music, videos, bootcamp for windows (i know i know...) maybe some games and just a bit of fun, also word processing (sorry guys but Office 2008)

But if you guys could help me out with this - that would be hugely appreciated!

Also im looking to buy around the May - June 09 period - will there be any huge updates i should know about?

Cheers

Also Sorry Guys - but if there any inherent problems with either of these options could you please inform me! thank you guys and dolls!

lazydesi
18th March 2009, 10:13 AM
we can expect an beta version or sneek preview of Snow leopard @ WWDC 09 (may /june 09).
you are saying your machine will have to run alot of music, videos, bootcamp for windows , games then I will go for bigger screen yes 15.4 inch.

we can expect an new update for MBP in Oct 09

Spectacular291
18th March 2009, 10:21 AM
I suppose in October 09 that nehalem will be added to the MBP line up?

if so i'll probably wont wait, because i doubt i'll be able to afford nehalem in the machines

lazydesi
18th March 2009, 10:32 AM
I suppose in October 09 that nehalem will be added to the MBP line up?

if so i'll probably wont wait, because i doubt i'll be able to afford nehalem in the machines

yep it will be new 32nm chip- more power per watt, regarding price it stays at the current level (if AUD doing same as now) or else it will come down (if AuD gain against USD).

if the prices went up - very few people will buy Mac

dche5390
18th March 2009, 10:36 AM
Having gone through a white macbook, black macbook, unibody macbook, and an Air, I will always go to a MacBook Pro. And I have.

There are no inherent problems with any of the MacBook range of notebooks.

I cannot simply live with a 1280x800 screen res. I need screen real estate. Granted, 1440x900 isn't much better (especially coming down from 1920x1200!) but I find I can multitask much better this way (as I don't use spaces, expose ftw).

Now that the new MB and MBP have the same cosmetic design, more will be inclined towards the MB. I tried this but as I've stated countless times, the quality of the screen (ie, viewing angle and blacks) just shits me. MacBook Pro all the way.

The MBP is a 15-inch notebook afterall. Its not the most portable notebook, but compared to the previous gen, its much easier to lug around on a daily basis. I do this. It has the benefits of having GPU grunt, gaming via bootcamp, and a larger screen.

Mind you, the MB will handle all the tasks you mentioned. You will not notice any real world difference in performance when word processing, bootcamping, VMing, playing media.

Don't wait. Grab a unibody 2.4 MBP from the refurb store. Yes the box it comes in is absolute filth but you save quite a bit (that can go towards APP, external display, KB, stand, fleshlight etc).

NathR32
18th March 2009, 10:42 AM
fleshlight lol

I agree mainly with the screen resolution. 1280x800 I find too small to work with comfortably. The 13" MB's are awesome for portability, but the 15" unibodys aren't that bulky or heavy either.

matthewk
18th March 2009, 11:12 AM
This is going to be my main computer - so it'l be running alot of music, videos, bootcamp for windows (i know i know...) maybe some games and just a bit of fun, also word processing (sorry guys but Office 2008)

For games go the MBP no question. The nVidea 9400M is good, but in the future with more powerful games the 9600M GT will be vastly better.

Plus the MBP is a bigger screen.

MissionMan
18th March 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm surprised no one here has brought this up, but the screen quality differences between the macbook and macbook pro is massive and well worth the upgrade in itself. I suggest you check out both in a store to understand what I mean.

TheMonkeyBoy
18th March 2009, 01:12 PM
Don't wait. Grab a unibody 2.4 MBP from the refurb store. Yes the box it comes in is absolute filth but you save quite a bit (that can go towards APP, external display, KB, stand, fleshlight etc).

I agree. Go for the MB. Judging by what you would use your Mac for, the MacBook sounds sufficient enough. With the spare money you can buy a 24' LED display which would look great. :) Plus you get an illuminated keyboard like the MPB. Ok, that may not be that impressive, but I like it. LOL

iJordie
18th March 2009, 01:29 PM
I would go for the MacBook Pro, I doubt the updates will be huge, probably along the lines of when the MacBook Pros first received C2D Processors.

byrnsie
18th March 2009, 01:30 PM
I reckon get the MB and like TheMonkeyBoy said use the saved money buy a 24' LED Display.

rEEzA
18th March 2009, 02:25 PM
I was tossing up between the MB & MBP 2.4 for two weeks... I went to DSE every second day and even the AppleStore.

I was really sold with the features of the MB and it was better for the wallet too...

But, I ended up buying the MBP... It was the screen quality that got me in the end. Not the size as I was moving from the MBA and happy with that, but the MB screen looked really washed out and I don’t think I would have ever really been happy with the MB after seeing the screens side by side.

Phase
18th March 2009, 02:52 PM
Look at both next to each other.

If you can get past the screen quality, rembering this is what you'll be looking at for the next x months/years, then buy whichever.

lukemc
18th March 2009, 02:59 PM
After a discussion on here about the same thing i bought a MB unibody from the refurb store. The screen isnt as good as my older macbook pro but, the price and size were right. I rang apple to tell them that the screen washes out pretty badly and they are sending me another one, they swear black and blue it shouldn't wash out.......

Will see how this one goes!

So if your after a smaller footprint go the MB but if that doesn't bother you id say go the pro.

Spectacular291
18th March 2009, 04:55 PM
sorry to go off topic a little bit, but whats the go with the external displays - how come you guys use them?

NeoRicen
18th March 2009, 05:04 PM
For a main machine I'd go for the Pro, in fact, I am!

Spectacular291
18th March 2009, 05:53 PM
I went down to JB Hi Fi today and saw the MBP 2.4 sitting next to the MB 2.4 so i gotta say - im extremely impressed with the quality of the screen, the only thing that scares me off the MBP is the 15.4" - its massive! i totally underrated the size of the MBP! so far im yet to determine whether or not i like that being so used to the MB size!

but so far im leaning towards the MBP 2.4 and get the RAM upgraded through Apple to save hassles of it getting it done elsewhere. But the likely date for its transaction is around the end of May or start of June, or perhaps maybe even during July - to earn my refund from the ATO (im a tax accountant - so dont worry about that lol)

Cheers guys for the help!