PDA

View Full Version : Repair to MBP

dche5390
18th March 2009, 05:04 AM
Hi guys,

Should a repair be done either by Apple or an authorised technician, will either accept spare parts from myself rather than having to buy the overpriced units from Apple?

I need the screen bezel and upper aluminum alloy casing replaced, have found some places which will set me back only $600 tops for everything as opposed to $1500 from Apple.

I have APP but user damage does not cover what I need repaired.

DenyCrane
18th March 2009, 05:14 AM
Hi guys,

Should a repair be done either by Apple or an authorised technician, will either accept spare parts from myself rather than having to buy the overpriced units from Apple?

I need the screen bezel and upper aluminum alloy casing replaced, have found some places which will set me back only $600 tops for everything as opposed to $1500 from Apple.

I have APP but user damage does not cover what I need repaired.

If it's still under Applecare, having it repaired by a non authorised repairer will void your warranty.

.... Denny Crane!

dche5390
18th March 2009, 05:48 AM
My question was would an authorised repairer do the job? (ie, using parts non-sourced from Apple)

dekco
18th March 2009, 09:50 PM
most likely not.

dche5390
19th March 2009, 07:17 PM
Well the MBP has been sold, its no longer my problem. But of interest, I lugged it to NextByte on Clarence (Sydney CBD) and they stated they were willing to fit any parts without any warranty provided. So in essence, provide spare parts and they'd do it and charge for services rendered (labour). I was surprised. I was expecting a flat no.

dekco
19th March 2009, 11:48 PM
thats good to hear. gives the end user more flexibility