PDA

View Full Version : BlackBook battery has decided to die!!?! Pft..

iCarllovesapple
16th March 2009, 11:52 PM
Specs:
Macbook Black
Year: 2008 (2007 model, I think. Although it does have the new keyboard (Command not Apple).
HD: 160GB
Ram: 1GB
Ghz: 2.2

Ok... So, My mum's emailing away on her Black Macbook which I bought for her in January 2008. She gets no internet connection.. I look at the prefeernces, and then I find that as soon as I unplug the computer it goes off. I then plugged the computer back in, and It worked. I opened system profiler to find that I need to check the battery, and that It isn't charging. Ok, so that's wonderful.. Is there anything apart from the obvious.. Reset the P ram, and remove the battery + turn on the macbook holding the power button down until i hear the bing 3 times?? I just really don't want to have have her waiting in the Next Byte cue. They are my local repairers even though I hate them. They really really suck. The next service centre I could send it too is Digilife in Osbourne Park, but that is too far. I have no license as I'm not 17.. heh.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Oh, and the cycle count is 86.

MacTime
17th March 2009, 12:32 AM
It's out of warranty, just buy a new one. No service centre required. The cost around the $199 mark, got one last week from JB.

Trabb
17th March 2009, 12:38 AM
Sounds like it might not be the actual battery. Do you know anyone else with a battery you could test on it? Usually batteries won't go from holding enough charge to holding absolutely no charge in an instant... batteries wear down over time and should progressively get worse, not instantly. Especially with the short amount of cycles.

I'd try test it with another battery without buying a new one and if it still doesn't work, I'd take it to a repair centre and get them to check it out. I think someone mentioned a good one in Joondalup on here? Do you have applecare on it? If not then you might have to pay for a repair cost.

choy
17th March 2009, 01:27 AM
icarl, please private message me. It just so happens I have a spare battery for a black macbook. It's not new, salvaged from a mates machine which the logic board crapped out, but it will work and you can test your machine that way too.

iCarllovesapple
17th March 2009, 09:03 AM
Hey guys, I should note that the computer is under APP for another 2 years! :) Tothe awesome guy who offered to give me a battery.. Thank you! I will see what Next bye says! You guys are awesome! Thank you guys again!! :)

MacTime
17th March 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey Carl, batteries are not covered under the APP, they're only covered for 12 months. ALso, I've had 2 BlackBook batteries die also instantly, no wearing down.

Huy
17th March 2009, 09:06 AM
Battery has crapped itself. APP or not, batteries are consumables under APP terms (check your T&C's) and you'll have to buy a new one if it's over 1 year.

EDIT
What MacTime said. :)

Lutze
17th March 2009, 09:09 AM
Weird. My Macbook battery died recently (it had just gone past it's warranty - and no, I don't have APP). Battery had 147 cycles and had gone from being healthy to dead in one charge.

I bought a new battery, but I'm convinced that the old one was at fault. I don't want another battery from Apple - I don't need 2 now - I want my $200 so I can buy a new AEBS!

When you get the chance, and when I get home tonight maybe post the battery details on here so we can check to see if there is a commonality?

iCarllovesapple
17th March 2009, 06:40 PM
Oh man.. This sucks.. I don't have 200 dollars right now.. I'm gonna sweet talk apple! :P

Trabb
17th March 2009, 06:51 PM
Batteries can be replaced under warranty, depending in the cycle count and age. Worth checking with a centre anyway. And if it is the battery, have a look at Apples battery care page in their website for tips on making it last a bit longer.

iCarllovesapple
17th March 2009, 07:32 PM
Guess what... Because I have Apple Care apple decided to give me a new battery. The man described what he was doing as 'Special treatment* I giggled :)!! Thanks for your help guys! You're awesome! :)

Kevin
17th March 2009, 09:42 PM
Guess what... Because I have Apple Care apple decided to give me a new battery. The man described what he was doing as 'Special treatment* I giggled :)!! Thanks for your help guys! You're awesome! :)

He lies!!!

"Covered under APP" does not mean "special treatment" ;)

Glad to see your issue got resolved.