PDA

View Full Version : Are all Leopard installs the same?

LCGuy
16th March 2009, 10:46 PM
Just out of curiousity...I have a MacBook, which obviously has Leopard installed from the MacBook System DVDs. I know that back in the days of say, Jaguar or Panther, an OS X install was an OS X install was an OS X install, any copy of OS X would boot on any system that supported that OS version, even if it was originally installed from a system-specific CD set. My question is, if I were to put my MacBook into Target mode, and plug it into another model Mac, say an iMac or a mini, would it be able to boot off the OS X install on the MacBook HDD?

Not important, just curious if this has changed since the Intel transition. :)

timothy
16th March 2009, 10:58 PM
I would think, "just guessing" that it would work fine. Intel to Intel.

Lumus
16th March 2009, 11:08 PM
I would think, "just guessing" that it would work fine. Intel to Intel.

Each system restore disk is locked to a specific type of mac right? (i.e. iMac will only work on the same version iMac). I think it's just a licencing thing so chances are it could work, but equal chance it wont. Like Tim it's just a guess.

MichaelQ
17th March 2009, 06:43 AM
You probably could have tried it in the time it took to write the post...

bartron
17th March 2009, 09:02 AM
It should work fine Intel to Intel (or PPC to PPC).

Apple have done some 'special' builds when new hardware comes (like the recent Mac Pro) out but OS X being what it is only loads the drivers for devices it can actually see.

The only time this will be an issue is if you try to boot an older version of OS X on newer hardware like trying to boot from a 10.4 target disk on a recent Mac or trying to boot a new Mac Pro from an older install of Leopard (one that doesn't have the special build)