PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro (mid 2008) to new unibody macbook

lukemc
16th March 2009, 01:37 PM
Will i be disappointed if i do this?

Ive found since i went up to the pro i dont take it with me nearly as much as i did when i had a blackbook.

With the macbook 2.4 on the refurb store im thinking of buying it, great price and more portable

I dont do graphic intensive stuff, i just browse, do uni work, watch movies etc

The only think i think ill miss is the 15.4 screen but i can live with that for the portability i think

Advice?

lazydesi
16th March 2009, 01:42 PM
noooo

the MB screens are bit low quality when compared to MBP. why don't you use u r MBP upto oct 09 and get new MB/MBP at that time with new 32nm chip(more productivity per watt)?

Huy
16th March 2009, 01:48 PM
They are both LED. One is glossy (MB), one is matte (MBP). Not sure where the low quality part comes in?

bennettnz
16th March 2009, 01:50 PM
I used to have a 12 inch ibook and it honestly went everywhere with me, my 17 inch laptop is a pain and goes nowhere. I'll be buying a macbook this year and I can't wait. No more big laptops for me.

lukemc
16th March 2009, 01:55 PM
ouch, totally different points of view!!

your happy with your new macbook i guess Huy?

Huy
16th March 2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah definitely am lukemc. :) Upgraded the RAM to 4GB DDR3 (lifetime warranty) and HDD to a 7200RPM, 320GB one (5 year warranty).

All up about $2800 (EDU+early mover with the 4GB RAM not quite as cheap as they are now) but well worth it to me. No problems with this machine/2.4 Unibody.

In future (6-12 months) I will probably think about going 2.4/2.66 MBP 15" Unibody.

I think another 'pro' would be the ease of upgrading RAM and HDD in the Unibodies. DIY.

dawsman
16th March 2009, 01:57 PM
Lazydesi might be referring to the relative difference between the Unibody MB and MBPs as discussed in this thread:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/29/61411-new-macbooks-screens-bad.html

I wouldn't know, I've never seen or used a new MB (I own a unibody MBP).

decryption
16th March 2009, 02:00 PM
There isn't a lot of difference in portability between the 15" and 13" MacBook to be honest. The 15" doesn't weigh that much more.

If you're after portability, get a MacBook Air.

lukemc
16th March 2009, 02:04 PM
its a toss up really! $500 buys you more screen real estate and a better graphics card

BUT

it becomes less portable. Im thinking ill grab the macbook today!

From all reviews i read, the graphics performance are on par with my older macbook pro anyway.

If i buy a refurb macbook and am totally disappointed with the screen will i be able to send it back for a pro?

Geoff3DMN
16th March 2009, 02:10 PM
I went from a 15" MacBook Pro to a 13 inch unibody MacBook and I think the difference in portability is significant and it isn't the weight that matters so much, it's the size.

The 15" is simply too big to use on a domestic plane and annoyingly large on an intercity coach. Trains aren't so bad though.

I find myself using the MacBook away from home much more than I ever did the MacBook Pro, and the new 9400 is about as fast as my old X1600 anyway (whilst the computer itself is faster).

lukemc
16th March 2009, 02:12 PM
thanks geoff

Hoping someone knows if i can return it for a pro if im not happy

also hoping i dont miss out on the refurb one while i deliberate!!

dawsman
16th March 2009, 02:12 PM
Graphics performance is moot if you don't do anything graphics-intensive. I never use the 9600M GT in my MBP because it heats up too much. The 9400M is more than enough for what I do. However I don't carry my laptop around much, it's more of a destop replacement, so I prefer the larger screen.

It's SCREEN QUALITY (so I'm told) that is the difference between the new MB and MBP (nothing to do with the graphics card). I'd be concerned if I was going from a higher quality 15" screen to a lower quality 13" screen. However from what I've read the new MB 13" screens are equivalent or better than all previous model MB/MBP screens, so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

From where I'm sitting, I reckon you should go for the 13" Macbook.

lazydesi
16th March 2009, 02:13 PM
They are both LED. One is glossy (MB), one is matte (MBP). Not sure where the low quality part comes in?

it is about uniMB LED screen -previous model MBP LED screen

MB screen was not top notch when compared to MBP LED

Huy
16th March 2009, 02:28 PM
it is about uniMB -previous model MBP

Previous MBP was also LED too.

I am sure Apple will accept returns and you can buy a refurb MBP if you wish.

lukemc
16th March 2009, 02:50 PM
ordered - macbook unibody 2.4, see how i go!!!

I used the link you sent too decryption so hopefully you get that kickback

dche5390
16th March 2009, 02:55 PM
I went from a previous gen MBP to a unibody MB. Was not happy with the screen quality, the viewing angle, blacks and other colours were just not up to scratch. Mind you I'm no professional, I just use it to surf the net and watch videos.

I'd go for the MBP anytime.

rmac
16th March 2009, 03:25 PM
I went from a 15" MacBook Pro to a 13 inch unibody MacBook and I think the difference in portability is significant and it isn't the weight that matters so much, it's the size.

The 15" is simply too big to use on a domestic plane and annoyingly large on an intercity coach. Trains aren't so bad though.

I find myself using the MacBook away from home much more than I ever did the MacBook Pro, and the new 9400 is about as fast as my old X1600 anyway (whilst the computer itself is faster).

Will i be disappointed if i do this?

Ive found since i went up to the pro i dont take it with me nearly as much as i did when i had a blackbook.

With the macbook 2.4 on the refurb store im thinking of buying it, great price and more portable

I dont do graphic intensive stuff, i just browse, do uni work, watch movies etc

The only think i think ill miss is the 15.4 screen but i can live with that for the portability i think

Advice?

i agree with you both. i have a MBP Core Duo and im thinking of selling it and buying a 2.0 MacBook.

but decryption and dche5390's posts scare me as im thinking will use the MacBook more portability wise and wont mind the screen quality. but maybe i wont?

areal
16th March 2009, 03:44 PM
I would probably buy a MacBook if it wasn't for its poor screen quality. I'm no expert but it's clear to me that the screen of the MacBook Air has a much greater viewing angle and is much easier on the eyes. Keeping my Air for now.

Geoff3DMN
16th March 2009, 04:00 PM
There is no question that the screen on the unibody MacBook has limited viewing angles and that the blacks aren't that black.

However I really only notice it when I'm watching a full screen video showing a dark screen, in normal use (web browsing, typing, chatting etc) I don't notice it.

Side by side with the LCD MacBook Pro screen if you deliberately angle the screen you can tell.

I'd suggest going to the Apple store and trying both.

MrJesseRoss
16th March 2009, 04:04 PM
How are you guys using your Macbooks that viewing angle is a massive issue? When I'm using mine, I'm in front of it.

lukemc
16th March 2009, 08:40 PM
i wont have long to wait to find out

Ordered at 330ish and shipped at 6pm, apparently ill have it tomorrow!

n20nine
16th March 2009, 11:32 PM
i have the new unibody macbook, carry it to class often. its the perfect size and weight. dont worry about the screen, its very nice actually, well viewing angles may not be the best as claimed, but then again at which angle are you gonna use your laptop? screen is one of the best i've seen on a laptop this size.

congrats and i am sure you're gonna spend the whole of tomorrow unboxing/installing softwares and enjoying every bit of it.

Geoff3DMN
17th March 2009, 06:27 AM
How are you guys using your Macbooks that viewing angle is a massive issue? When I'm using mine, I'm in front of it.

I have a 6 year old, if I'm watching a TV show or movie on the laptop then she'll often come and sit next to me. With 2 people trying to watch the screen at once the limited viewing angle can become an issue. This isn't a problem with Jodz's MacBook Air or my old MacBook Pro, and is the only area where I slightly prefer the old machine to the new one.

The screen doesn't bother me if I'm using it by myself.

lukemc
17th March 2009, 11:42 AM
Cant beleive how quick it was but i received the macbook today at 1115. Apart from the ugly box its great! im happy with my change and havent noticed as yet anything bad with the screen. I have tilted to extreme angles and it does wash out a bit, but in 99.9% of use i dont think this will affect me at all

Phase
17th March 2009, 12:27 PM
Well, best of luck to you.

Having the Unibody MBP and standard Macbook next to each other, I couldn't touch the Macbook.

When I can see a colour/tone/contrast level change from the top of the screen to the bottom while I'm infront of it, I'd go insane.

But, if you're happy, then that's what counts.

The uni-bodies are built like tanks.

iJordie
22nd March 2009, 03:41 PM
A friend has a MacBook Pro 2.16 15" non-unibody and I have a MacBook White 2.2.GHz. He admitted that the MacBook Pro is a bastard to carry around school with textbooks etc...

I take my MacBook to all classes and it happily fits in my pile of textbooks i take around to different classes. Battery life aint bad either.

I do have a iMac at home which is used for the more heavy uses. But the macbook is fine for non graphical needs, I can only assume that the new unibodys are better than my intel GMA X1300 anyway.

iCarllovesapple
22nd March 2009, 08:02 PM
Well.. As you can see by my signature, I have the Unibody Macbook Pro. I love it! The size is great + the screen is WOW.. The only thing I hate hate hate hate hate about it - is the fact that it is HIGH gloss!! I had the 1st generation MBP (Which I preffered!!) and the gloss was not as high!! I carry my Macbook Pro with me EVERYWHERE... When ever I'm not home, nor is my Macbook Pro. My Macbook Pro, is my security blanket!! =D. Honestly.. I have grown to love the size! The Unibody idea is great. The chicklet keyboard is also nice! I can type heaps faster with it! ;) But yeah.. As I said I carry my MBP with me everywhere - Yes, it is a bastard for my shoulder (I carry 8 KG's of things in my Notebook bag.. lol) but for the amount of power.. It's well worth it! On another hand... I hate my Macbook Air. It is the worst amount of money I have ever spent in my life. It is slow, It crashes, Its LOUD, It gets hot within 4 minutes, and the fan spins 1 million miles a bloody hour!! I honestly hate it. It is the worst Mac I have & ever will buy! You know.. I couldn't even run a KEYNOTE (YES.. THE APPLICATION THAT APPLE BUILT!!) presentation on here. Keynote couldn't cope! The only thing the Macbook Air was Ok for, was connecting to cinema displays. With my MBP it is annoying to connect to a cinema display - It doesn't like recognizing them!! Grr...
Anyway.. I hope you're enjoying your Mac!! :-)
I'm just going to go to bed and sob at the fact that the backups for the Mactalk theme didn't work.. I hate you -- New.. Old... Ugly 1990 Mactalk theme.. You depress me!! ;( lol...

dawsman
24th March 2009, 08:43 PM
I saw my first Unibody 13" Macbook today in Nextbyte. I couldn't believe the size of it! The glass trackpad looks monsterous! Frankly, the screen is a shocker compared to the Unibody 15" Macbook Pro - I noticed the washed out colours straight away. They even had the previous model 17" MPB there and it's screen was a lot better than the Macbook.

Having said that, we are probably kidding ourselves if we are expecting the Macbook's screen to be as good as the Pro's screen. It is after all a lower spec model.