PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of power bricks for MacBooks?

arkenstone
16th March 2009, 08:17 AM
Some time yesterday the power brick for The Girl's MacBook stopped doing what a power brick should - providing power to her MacBook.

As I've been busy/lazy, I've not got the multimeter out yet to do any diagnosis any more detailed than "it's fucked".

The MacBook has only been in use since the 30th of November so I'm a little disappointed it has died already. There's just no charge/activity/light/whatever when it's connected to her Unibody MacBook.

While I'm confident the fine folk at the Chadstone Apple store will replace it, I'm a bit pissed off we're up for $109 in the interim until we can get there and fight the hordes at Chadstone.

Anyone else had any similar problems?

crunchysteve
16th March 2009, 08:35 AM
Nothing I've read on the internerds indicates this to be a common problem. A powerbrick should just keep transforming electronics destroying 240v AC down to a nice, low, laptop nourishing DC for way longer than any laptop would live.

Probably just rotten luck, tested by #13 on Friday at 5pm. My iBook's brick, which apart from the different connector, is more or less the same as the MacBook brick, is 5 years old and still going strong. The MacBook draws less than the iBook, and my MacBook adapter runs cooler than my iBook one.

~Coxy
16th March 2009, 10:27 AM
I've had two 85W MagSafe power supplies die on me, so yes. In my opinion they are not very reliable, especially with all the ones you see with melting or charring.

Huy
16th March 2009, 10:30 AM
I've had power bricks for MacBooks specifically over the past 3 years (since Core Duo 2006).

No problems with any of them.

Perhaps it is a battery problem instead?

Wally
16th March 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure how long mine has been going weird for but my first Magsafe charger melted at the ends and looked weird.

I've noticed for a bit my screen was flickering but only with magsafe plugged in, cleaned out the insides of my MacBook where dust was covering a vent to get to the Inverter and processor (Where I reduced the temp dramatically) if you see my other thread "Wally's MacBook Story".

Anyway lately I have noticed that the Magsafe sometimes acts if its charging but its really not, its a really weird issue but it just involves disconnecting and reconnecting the Magsafe adapter and it works fine after that.

samuelowens
16th March 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm now on brick no. 3 for my MBP, but this was because the pins on the Magsafe broke on the first two specimens being permanently stuck down, requiring me to tap them out and insert them into my MBP vertically.

haydio
16th March 2009, 10:57 AM
My charger died one month out of warranty, gave Apple a call and they sent me out a new one.

arkenstone
16th March 2009, 11:43 AM
My charger died one month out of warranty, gave Apple a call and they sent me out a new one.

Haydio and others who have experienced 'failures' - what were the symptoms?

In this case it's no charge light/charge indication from the MB. I.e. (and again I've not got the multimetre out yet) there's no power actually reaching the magsafe end of the lead.

Done the obvious quick things like try other powerboards/points.

haydio
16th March 2009, 12:36 PM
Well It got really hot at the MagSafe end, I didn't want to catch on fire with my MacBook so I unplugged it. Then it never worked again.

stab
16th March 2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah power bricks for macbook/pros are a bit like playing Russian Roulette!

I've gone through two within the space of 3 months, (one melted due to lack of ventilation when a pillow on my bed covered it without my knowledge!).
Before that I've been through heaps of powerbook ones too.

My experience is that they just die both in and out of warrantee and you just have to replace them-
-- its just a part of the wonderful Macbook experience! (%(*&^%)

geektechnu
16th March 2009, 01:00 PM
Haydio and others who have experienced 'failures' - what were the symptoms?

In this case it's no charge light/charge indication from the MB. I.e. (and again I've not got the multimetre out yet) there's no power actually reaching the magsafe end of the lead.

Done the obvious quick things like try other powerboards/points.
I had the same symptoms (no charge LED) with my old 2006 MacBook, but it turned out to be a logicboard fault instead.

If your problem is definitely the power brick you can consider your self lucky.

Martin153
16th March 2009, 05:47 PM
I had a MacBook power supply die with the magsafe end go limp presumably from repeatedly being heated while doing its job. It flickered over a few days & never worked again. Hong Kong sells half price new ones on ebay.

NeoRicen
16th March 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm plugged into a 14 month old one and no signs of trouble.

LCGuy
16th March 2009, 06:55 PM
My MacBook (bought brand new in November 2007) is still on its original, touch wood.

scruffie
16th March 2009, 08:12 PM
My oldest powerbrick is about 3 years and still going strong. It has melted a bit but its running a charge still.