PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Died

bigglesworth003
16th March 2009, 07:54 AM
Hi there,

Last night my Macbook Pro froze last night so i reset it and it loaded normal, then shortley later it froze again!

So i reset it (turned off, on) it sits at the apple startup then the grey screen comes over to say to rest the computer. And this repeats everytime now!

Also i put in the leopard DVD and pressed comand to choose my start up and seleced the Leopard Install DVD, and it then sits at the apple loading spiral then the Grey screen comes through again.

Just wonderting if anyone had anything else i could try before i take it into apple Not a bad run I've had it for 2 years now.

Thanks in Advance! :)

muskawo
16th March 2009, 08:00 AM
What were you doing when it froze? also when you start up without the dvd can you hear your hard drive spinning? Do you have another mac so you can try to access you hd via target disk mode?

bigglesworth003
16th March 2009, 08:22 AM
I was just on the internet when it froze. Just tried with out the dvd in i can't seem to hear the hard drive spinning. A collegue will be in soon who will have his macbook with him. How do i do target disk mode??

Thanks,

muskawo
16th March 2009, 11:39 AM
How to use FireWire target disk mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661) (read this, but tl;dr version is hold down T at startup)

Sorry for the late reply, had to wait till lunch.

It sounds like there is something up with your hd maybe, that's why booting in target disk mode might help you work that out. if you can see your hd when connected to the other computer, I would try disk utilities and fixing permissions and stuff from there. Then reboot and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt, I guess you can try reinstalling from the other computer too. (You just boot from leopard on the other mac, and when you go to install, find the hd on your"target" computer)

bigglesworth003
17th March 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for that Muskawo!

Ended up jsut taking it into Apple at Chaddy. they plugged in thier external boot drive, and it still did the same thing. So they have taken it to look into what it could be. The guy thinks the logic board might be fried, which they told me would cost $1800! so ill find out in a few days.

Hoping its still just the HD but seeings they couldn't even boot of an external drive (files came up just froze when trying to load) not seeming too promising.

If its the logic board ill just get a new Macbook. its only a few hundred more!

bartron
17th March 2009, 08:56 AM
freaky....exact same thing happened to me last night.

Because I have no data worth keeping on the drive I was able to re-install OS X. Leopard install kept getting kernel panics but Tiger installed OK then went to kernel panic as well.

What worked (so far) was doing a PRAM reset (:cmd:+option+P+R), then SMC reset (pull out the battery and power and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds). Initially this didn't have the desired effect so I pulled the RAM out, gave a good blow to the innards and re-seated the RAM. So far all is going fine (on Tiger for the time being).

If the logic board is fried then you're SOL. iFixit.com have them for around US$900 so $1800 sounds about right (taking labour into account). As you say, you'd be better off buying a new one and sell the old one for parts.

bigglesworth003
20th March 2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all the help!

Well Apple got back to me yesterday. They have check the sytem and i have a damaged logic bored... BUT also the graphics processer (Navida.. somthing) is also damaged. Turns out the Graphics processor problem is a known issue, and Apple will repair it out of Warrantee. So then he goes to tell me this time they will replace the logice board too free of charge!! So the entire system is getting fixed for thr Triage fee of $100!!

Just has made me love apple more and im sure secured me buying there computers the rest of my life :D

My guess is the Graphics processor issue may have caused the damage to the logic board, so thats why there replacing it all free of charge, out of Warrantee, but im not fussed. Just glad im not going to have to buy a new computer!

Best part is, if the parts are in stock i get it back today, if not in 3-4 days. My brothers Toshiba has been in repairs for 6 weeks now waiting for a motherboard replacement on backorder. Another reason Apple it great :rolleyes:

Well Done, once again Apple!