PDA

View Full Version : APPLE AT MYER?

jeremyb
10th June 2004, 12:05 PM
Since when does Myer MELBOURNE Store carry Apple Computer products, I was there on the 9th of june and there was this massive Apple display on, whats more they have a stocktake sale on and all the computer products are 10% off including APPLE computers...

This was great cos I really have my heart set on the apple cinema display..

JeremyB

: )

Disko
10th June 2004, 12:18 PM
Apple have set up some "mini stores" inside major retail outlets such as myer and David Jones - though I assumed it was only for Christmas last year...
Also, Myer & many other retailers are authorised to sell iPods.

You can search the news forum for 'target' or 'myer' - i think the article is in there. :)

yinyang
10th June 2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb@Jun 10 2004, 12:05 PM

This was great cos I really have my heart set on the apple cinema display..

apparently these may be coming soon, so the current batch of displays may come down in price if there is stock to shift. otherwise the new ones look pretty fab : )

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/newdisplays.html

sillydog701
10th June 2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by yinyang@Jun 10 2004, 12:52 PM
apparently these may be coming soon, so the current batch of displays may come down in price if there is stock to shift. otherwise the new ones look pretty fab : )

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/newdisplays.html
that's a very interesting news (or rumour).

Just, I like the ADC connector, with additional cables for power, USB, and firewire... just don't look Apple.

I guess they will figure out ADC2 connector later for more power and firewire ports.

Shawry
11th June 2004, 06:10 PM
wow, i knew a lot of stores now stock iPods, but never have i seen actual Apple computers in a department store! :o

jeremyb
13th June 2004, 12:57 PM
Yea its great it makes it so easy, when the full raneg is in a department store..

Well its helped me out any how..

:P :lol:

some great bargains to be had...

OziMac
13th June 2004, 06:53 PM
Definitely going to be checking out the Apples at Myer Melbourne tomorrow (if they're still there and still on sale).

But the full range (and the ability to order BTO) has been at the David Jones Melbourne store for quite some time now - don't know if they offer EDU discounts, and they probably offer the same prices as Apple Australia - but pretty cool for off the shelf models, if you can get a sale discount.

DMaxx
13th June 2004, 07:05 PM
Yeh i was in Myer today (13/6) and there was an apple display not all that dis-similar to the apple display they have at David Jones (all in melbourne). the other thing is that they all have the same catalog, advertising the products as if it was for an applecentre.
Also, they don't do the education pricing, as instead of that they can offer interest free terms and of course, the topic of this thread, they can have sales(ie 10% off). For these reasons apple australia won't allow them to do the edu price.
i did discover though that if you wanna pick up there display models, david jones at least, are offering good discounts with some extra freebies. i was in david jones asking around about 2 weeks ago and the sales dude offered me a 12" 1Ghz PB with airport and a few things for around like $2000. the exact details i don't remember, but a good deal all the same.

Anyway, cheers for now...
DMaxx

decryption
13th June 2004, 07:11 PM
"interest free terms" DMaxx? :D
Can you explain to me how this works?

pipsqeek
14th June 2004, 11:32 AM
Interest free terms are usually set to a pre defined time frame. ie: 12 months, 18 months.

You are still required to pay them the money back during the loan repayment period.

Usually when you sign up with them, they give you a credit card, every month you will get a bill. But during the interest free period, (which is where you want to pay off asd much as possible to prevent getting charged interest) you will only pay for what you "borrowed" for the purchase. Once the interest free period is over, and you have not paid off the loan yet, you will start to get charged interest.

You'll always hear those, No Deposit, No repayments, no interest till 2005....
That practically means that you don't have to give them a deposit to buy the items. you don't have to repay them till 2005 (January 1st most likely) and during that time until 2005, you won't pay interest either.

Once this time is up though, you will be charged through the ass with interest, you will notice the statements that arrive will have much higher repayment requests.

Most of the time these terms are not too bad, but keep in mind that you want to pay them all off before the deadline for the interest free period. So that you are practically paying exactly what you would have if you bought it outright. Not a penny more.

The other details, such as No deposit, and no repayments just make life alittle easier. But people gets hooked in on that detail, don't pay a deposit, or they don't pay the repayments till they are really due...usually when the interest rates are piled on. So don't get sucked into thinking that you don't have to pay a cent until 2005 or whatever. Start paying it off immediately. trying to keep within the interest free terms.

Steve

decryption
14th June 2004, 11:53 AM
So, for example:

I purchase an $1800 iBook with no deposit, 12 months interest free.
I can pay back $150/month, and at the end of 12 months, I'd own the iBook, without having paid any extra than what the item actually costs?

pipsqeek
14th June 2004, 01:29 PM
I didn't check the math,

but yes. essentially. but going over that 12 months will see you paying more then what the item is worth....especially in 12 months.

Oh, thought of a great idea that would never happen....think of what it would be like paying off the thing in 11 months, were the items value has gone down...you only pay the value of the item. haha

that would be great.

Steve

Phillip
14th June 2004, 02:01 PM
theres a apple store inside the store at megamart in chadstone :)

Currawong
14th June 2004, 05:11 PM
I'd always wondered about those No Interest offers...I'm thinking of getting a Myer card (I get a staff discount anyway) or Coles Myer card just so I can pay off large purchases over time without interest.

DMaxx
14th June 2004, 05:51 PM
I work for a company that offers interest free terms and all that, so i can give some clarifictaion to this point.

If you apply for these "interest free, pay nothing etc" deals, what you are actually doing is appling for a sort of loan from a 3rd party finance company. IE if you go to myer and get a store card you are actually getting a charge account, similar to a credit card, that is backed by GE Capital Finance, i know this as i nearly got a job for GE in collections ringing punks who don't pay off their myer cards in time.

There are major companies who's sole purpose to provide this effective financial backing for retail purchases, the major players in australia are GE, AGC Finance and Buyers Edge. Recently intrestingly enough though, GE bought out the other 2...

But anyway, when you apply they give you a set period to pay off, like steve said 12 months where it is interest free. After that you incur the wrath of the financial companies money making power, their current interest rate of 27.5%... The other thing is that you will incur other costs too, at the moment GE has a $25 set up fee and then a $2.95 per month accouting fee. But the beauty in making money off these deals is not the set up fees... its in the fact that when they send out the monthly bill for you to pay (direct debt etc) they specify a minimum which will not in fact pay off the debt before you get the 27.5%.
The other thing is that the companies, like myer again, get charged for the service... kinda like a subscription fee i guess, so there is generally no room to negotiate prices with the retailer.
Oh yeh, they can quite often refuse you for some strange reasons... it differs for every person.

So thats really the end of my knowledge on the topic... hope that helps.
Cheers
DMaxx

decryption
14th June 2004, 06:02 PM
So DMaxx, if you can pay it al back within the 12 months, you're cool yeah? There wouldn't be any extra costs if you pay within the 12 months?

DMaxx
14th June 2004, 06:03 PM
Oh yeh,
The pay nothing until "blah blah" is another way for the finance companies to make money too. So what they'll say, for instance, is 24 months interest free and pay nothing until june 2005... so what really means is that you still pay yer $2.95 per month for the whole time of the debt... but they are really trying to pray on peoples ability to forget about the finance terms. Say you buy a $2k TV now, and nothing to pay until june 2005, with 24 months interest free. So that means you have 6 months to pay off the TV after june 2005 leaving you with less time over all to pay off the debt that if you had paid it as a non-defered payment. Most people forget that they have the debt waiting to be paid off, meaning that they'll be unable to afford the repayments and again, incur the wrath of 27.5%.

Cheers
DMaxx

DMaxx
14th June 2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jun 14 2004, 06:02 PM
So DMaxx, if you can pay it al back within the 12 months, you're cool yeah? There wouldn't be any extra costs if you pay within the 12 months?
Yeh, except for the setup and accoutning fee.
Oh yeh, and if your bank charges you for the direct debit, BPay or however you choose to pay you'll pay that too.

Cheers
DMaxx

decryption
14th June 2004, 06:09 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if any Education resellers offer some sort of interest free terms :)

estoyloco
14th June 2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah but if you buy a $4000 powerbook, and you have the cash upfront, you can chuck it in an ING or Citibank type account get $422.40 over 24months at 5.40%pa when compounded monthly as they do.

Then subtract the fee's involved.. Say a $100 for 24months interest fee deferred payment.

then withdraw your $4000 on the 23month 29th day and pay the whole amount back.

ING/citibank pays interest mothly so you can use the interest to fund a broadband conenction or something... during the time...

Thats if you were so inclined....

DMaxx
14th June 2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jun 14 2004, 06:09 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if any Education resellers offer some sort of interest free terms :)
Nah, thats what i was saying before. As the companies incur a charge for the service of offering finance, they are unlikely to give you a discoutned price on the product. Again, why Myer or David Jones don't offer EDU pricing.
I did notice that apple offers rentsmart though, which is a whole other kettle of fish. As it is not a finance deal as such but a rental agreement, and i don't even know if they offer it on EDU. I don't know too much about rentsmart, all i know is you pay more for the product in the long run, but also get upgrades as part of your agreement.

Oh yeh, obviously everything i have said so far is to be taken lightly, not dead serious as each company has there own deals, you really have to take the time to read the fine print. Some of you in fact may have heard of AGC as they are a major financier when it comes to car purchases... we all know how much we trust car sales people.

Cheers
DMaxx

decryption
20th June 2004, 12:30 AM
Do you know when the 12 months interest free deal expires DMaxx?

DMaxx
20th June 2004, 01:12 AM
No idea buddy... i believe it is an on going thing they offer... ask em yo self i spose'd be the only way to really find out.

Cheers
DMaxx

Herbie
20th June 2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by DMaxx@Jun 14 2004, 06:43 PM
I did notice that apple offers rentsmart though, which is a whole other kettle of fish. As it is not a finance deal as such but a rental agreement, and i don't even know if they offer it on EDU. I don't know too much about rentsmart, all i know is you pay more for the product in the long run, but also get upgrades as part of your agreement.

Cheers
DMaxx
I've used FlexiRent for the last couple years which is similar to Rentsmart but is only offered to business people. Through the program I've gotten an iBook 500, an iBook 800, and a 2x1.25 MDD G4. The iBook 500 is paid off and now mine. Still in service and working well. My final purchase price worked out to be about $600 over retail for the item at the end of the rental contract. Not too bad as I was able to write off all my payments for tax purposes over the two years I was renting it. The other machines will be a bit more as they were rented over three years instead of two. If not for the abilityt to write off the payments for tax purposes I wouldn't have gone with the longer rental contract because I don't think it's worth it in the long run.

I believe this service makes more sense when buying Macs than most other equipment simply because Macs remain viable machines longer than a lot of other technology.

jeremyb
21st June 2004, 09:06 AM
Just to clarify some things

I have the Myer Source Card Master Card , it only has a 17.5% interest Rate , not the whopping 27 % mentioned in other posts...

Thanks