PDA

View Full Version : has anybody had any problems with Refurbished Macs from the Apple Store?

Spectacular291
15th March 2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Guys and Dolls,

Me, like my other compatriots of this forum, doesnt have a great deal of savings and i was curious if down the track when i can afford my first mac that whether the refurbished models are a good idea...

if any guys could help out that would be great!

I'm sorry if anybody has posted a similar topic

Cheers

bennyling
15th March 2009, 07:55 PM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/33386-refurbished-macs-bargain-hell-shiny-white-box.html

The above link should answer most (if not all) of your questions. :thumbup:

Spectacular291
15th March 2009, 07:56 PM
thank you sir!

cosmichobo
15th March 2009, 08:12 PM
As I understand it, the percentages would say that there's not much more likelihood of getting "a dud" through the refurb store than through normal channels... you still get a year's warranty etc, and can buy AppleCare too if you want...

You probably may not get a normal box, but not everyone is a box fiend anyways... and reading recent stories, there's always the chance of getting higher specs/ram/hdd on a refurb than what you pay for...

kevinnugent
15th March 2009, 08:17 PM
+1 Cosmic...

Spectacular291
15th March 2009, 08:21 PM
oh ok cheers Cosmic, but the sound of a cheaper mac with higher specs sounds good, not that im banking on it for the purpose of being safe than sorry...

but im looking at a macbook alu 2.0 and they havent got any in refurb at the moment but thats ok, it'l take me a while to get the money together

Mutters
15th March 2009, 08:25 PM
I bought a gen 1 shuffle, gen 5? 30Gb iPod, 2.4 Ghz Penryn MBP - over the years, as refurbs, and can't fault them.

The MBP came fully packed, as new BTW. Smell and all:thumbup:

Apologies to Decryption - all bought before your involvement.:o

mutters

gareth
15th March 2009, 09:34 PM
I got 2 refurbished white imacs they all good still :)

dekco
15th March 2009, 10:04 PM
me thinking of getting a refurbished unit (mac pro) so i will be keeping close eyes on the refurbished threads to see what other people think of them. so far, so good.

Vapours
16th March 2009, 01:58 AM
Got a refurb 24", 2.4 GHz, iMac 2 months ago and have no complaints about it at all.

So far.

P.S I also got AppleCare.

dche5390
16th March 2009, 04:44 AM
Got a 24"iMac from refurb. No problems. No extras.
Waiting for my MBP to arrive. Purchased thru refurb as well.

tcn33
16th March 2009, 05:10 AM
In the unlikely event anyone has forgotten, just a quick reminder that you can support MacTalk by purchasing your Apple gear (refurb or otherwise) via this link (http://www.s2d6.com/x/?x=c&z=s&v=936507).

Spectacular291
16th March 2009, 07:01 AM
Got a refurb 24", 2.4 GHz, iMac 2 months ago and have no complaints about it at all.

So far.

P.S I also got AppleCare.

don't worry applecare will be priority!

teknostar
16th March 2009, 08:14 AM
I have bought several refurbs and no issues with any of them, they are sometimes better than new as if they have had a problem then it has gone back and been properly fixed and tested before being resold

DrKilcourse
16th March 2009, 08:28 AM
I got a refurb 15" MacBook Pro about two weeks ago, came with a extra 2 gig of ram that I didn't request nore did I pay extra for. Out of the box everything worked except the airport card (it wouldnt pick up signals). Took it into a mac store they replaced it for free and I havn't had any problems sindce. Overall I woud say aside from the inconnvience of having to bring it for a repair in the first 24 hours it has still been worth the savings of going the refurb route! good luck and keep your fingers crossed for some free upgrades!

pyrite
16th March 2009, 08:47 AM
I've had a bad run with my refurbs, but it's just been unlucky I think...

My Macbook HDD died after about 6 months, but it happens, was probably just as likely on a new machine.

My iMac 20" has been an absolute nightmare to get fixed, also a refurb, it's had a persistent problem with the fans kicking into overdrive randomly, regardless of CPU load, internal temps, ambient temp etc. It's been out of action for about 2 months (still in warranty) and I'm pushing Apple for a replacement machine now that three unsuccessful (and very extended) repairs have passed.

One thing I can say is that they arrive in absolutely perfect, brand new condition aesthetically, and it feels like you're getting a brand new machine. The bad run I've had with mine doesn't really agree with what I've read elsewhere.

These days, though, big savings on refurbs seem to be a thing of the past anyway (25% off a current model wasn't unusual even last year) so I'd probably rather save bucks by buying a brand new machine instead, but from somewhere other than the Apple store:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/21/32998-online-apple-retailers.html

rustyshelf
16th March 2009, 09:34 AM
I've bought a mac mini, 2 macbook pros and a macbook refurb. Out of that sample set of 4, 1 was a complete dud and the rest were fine. The mac mini kept rebooting whenever you tried to do something intensive on it, so I sent it back to be replaced. The replacement they sent was fine (though strangely it had 2GB of ram instead of the 1GB that I sent them, I'm sure it was a mistake, but a nice one).

Overall I'd say there's more chance of getting a dud from buying refurb, but you do still have the same 12 month warranty, so no big deal if it doesn't work, just make sure you stress test it before you configure it. I generally try to peg all the CPUs at 100% then play music in iTunes with the Visualizer turned on. If it can handle that for a few hours then in theory all is good :)

kaisersozay
16th March 2009, 10:03 AM
Just bought (last night) a refurbished Mac Mini via decryption's link and not at all concerned... 12 month warranty beats eBay and any private sale.
Delivery should be in a few days and that's free. Good deal all round, I believe. We all win.

Huy
16th March 2009, 10:23 AM
I've purchased an iMac and a MacBook from the refurb store. No issues with the iMac.

Small issue with the MacBook hinge but it was DOAed and replaced with another refurb. No problems there.

iJohn
16th March 2009, 01:00 PM
Reburb store just updated get in there guys!!:D:D:D:D

BrownApple
16th March 2009, 01:52 PM
I got a MacBook Pro a few weeks ago from the refurb store. Came as new except the box.

It was working fine but I've had to return it as the optical drive wasn't reading discs at all. When I looked at the right-hand speaker there was a faint trace of what could have been a liquid spill over that area of the machine (and into the optical drive area) which might have been the reason for the refurb.

Anyway, fingers crossed it comes back fine. I want to finish the rip of my CD collection.

But it was a bargain, especially considering they've now upped a few prices :P

Syrecx
17th March 2009, 04:11 AM
bought alot of refurb items. 4 x macbook + 1 x imac + other crap like apple tv etc. No problems as such except for one of the macbook. Battery replacement and now HDD replacement. 6 months into the purchase now. So far so good, no complaints.