PDA

View Full Version : Dead Screen On Pb 667mgz G4

Jimbo1635
28th May 2005, 02:45 AM
I bought the above mentioned Powerbook 667mGz G4 4 years ago (when it was brand new) for around AU$6,100.The screen died after 2 years of use. (Apparently a known issue). I have since been informed that to fix the screen on this machine will cost in excess of $2000.
I can now buy a Powerbook nearly 3 X as fast for a third of the money I paid for this boat anchor.
Umm...I think it's about after sales service.How can I get this old girl fixed cheap?

hawker
28th May 2005, 09:41 AM
Hunt around for another screen. Check out the second hand mac dealers in the WTB section of the forums.

And what's with the big gap?

Byrd
28th May 2005, 11:46 AM
You might be lucky one day in finding a screen for it - I hope so. In the mean time, you could consider using it as a desktop replacement - remove the screen you'll have a tiny, good performing Mac which takes up no desk space at all! Another use for it would be as a media centre for a TV, having Svideo out on this machine means it could become a great DivX, MP3 and DVD playback system in your living room.

JB

Big_J
28th May 2005, 05:04 PM
Jimbo,

I also have a G4 667 Tibook with a bung screen (although mine did fly out of my backpack when i was running down the road....ouch! :( ).

You're right about the $2000+ to fix them (you have to get a whole new screen).

I use mine as a desktop, just plug it into a LCD screen, shut the lid, plug in an Apple keyboard and mouse, place it on an iCurve and Bob's your uncle. Works great, and looks cool IMHO.

You can see my setup here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=219&view=findpost&p=71012)

Edge
28th May 2005, 06:07 PM
You may not need to replace the entire screen, depending on the cause of the failure. It may just be the inverter or one of the connections (either data or power) that has failed. However should you need to replace the LCD panel, pulling apart the screen of a TiBook is the most difficult Mac repair job I have ever attempted, and I was not very successful. Removing the back and bezel on the display is really tricky without ruining them. I would suggest instead looking for the entire lid/screen assembly. But this is a few hundred dollars more generally.

My TiBook 667 VGA got backed over by a car and I looked for a replacement. The cheapest option is to buy the panel bare. It is a Samsung model no. LTN152W2. The LTN152W1 from the TiBook 400/500 will also work. You will find them on eBay USA. This is for the VGA model, the DVI versions have a different panel number.

Jimbo1635
28th May 2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the thoughts one & all.....I reckon the spooky desktop option could be the go! Still frustrating though.
Cheers. :)