PDA

View Full Version : leaving the darkside

martymoose
14th March 2009, 02:18 PM
Hi All,
After many years of going around in circles and getting frustrated with MS windows I have decided to jump ship and buy a Macbook.
I am looking at the 13" 2.4 ghz model. I have a few questions that I hope the more experienced users can help me with.

1. Does Macbook use standard Ram and HD that I can upgrade myself??
I noticed that the macbook I am interested in comes with 2 gb ram and 250gb 5400rpm HD. I am wondering whether to get the computer with a 2gb Ram upgrado or maybe to do the upgrade myself.
I would also like to upgrade the hd for a 320gb but 7200rpm.

Question 2 is about iwork vs office. Having only ever used MS office should I but office for mac or is iwork just as good? Will iwork open ms office docs???

3. Is there a best place to buy macs? I think apple pricing is fairly fixed.

Thank you all in advance

Cheers
M

decryption
14th March 2009, 02:22 PM
1 - yep, you can change the RAM and HDD yourself with *ease* and without voiding the warranty. Purchase the RAM & HDD from your favourite computer shop and install them yourself.

2 - When you get your Mac, it comes with a trial of both Office and iWork. Try them out for yourself and decide which one you like, then buy the one you prefer :)

3 - Best place to buy Macs is the Apple refurb store (http://www.s2d6.com/x/?x=c&z=s&v=936518). The Macs are refurbished stock and sold cheap with a full 12 month warranty, direct from Apple themselves. Stock changes all the time, so keep an eye out and check often.

macrich
14th March 2009, 02:23 PM
The answer to Question 2. iWork 09 is Pages, Numbers and Keynote. These can open and save to Word, Excel & Powerpoint files. The only limitation I've found is with the docx and xlsx formats. A little bit of the formatting is lost in the conversion, but considering most people don't save to those formats you'd be fine.

iWork is also cheaper than Office:Mac. I always buy my macs and accs from the online store unless I'm in the city, then I go to Mecca. (The George St store).

martymoose
14th March 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks Guys,
It seems safe enough to buy one. I will buy some mached 2gd ddr3 sdram chips and a hd when I run out of space.

Anything else worth getting when I buy the mac??

CHeers and thanks

M

matthewk
14th March 2009, 02:52 PM
Question 2 is about iwork vs office. Having only ever used MS office should I but office for mac or is iwork just as good? Will iwork open ms office docs???

Depends on what you want to dowith it. If its just basic letters, great looking slideshows and a bit of budgeting spreadsheets iWork will be awesome. If you need to use more advanced features then you'll need to install Office 03/07 on Windows through VMware or Parrellels (these two programs will run Windows inside you Mac at the same time as OS X).

DagrtheSnide
14th March 2009, 03:10 PM
I always thought Apple was the darkside :)

kyte
14th March 2009, 03:50 PM
There's always NeoOffice or Open Office if you need more than iWork. I prefer them when using MS documents, and no longer have an iWork.

jubilantjeremy
14th March 2009, 03:52 PM
or Bean, for really simple .rtf and .doc files.

TheKeddi
14th March 2009, 03:52 PM
Nooo Apple was sent from heaven to save us all from the windows pit of hell!

kyte
14th March 2009, 03:54 PM
or Bean, for really simple .rtf and .doc files.

oh yes, I had forgotten about Bean... its very nice :)

PatrickH
14th March 2009, 04:22 PM
Undercover:

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

I would consider getting it regardless. On the forums, we've come across quite a few people who have lost their laptops without a chance of recovery, we then recommend them to get undercover.

It's better to have this before rather than later when you've lost it.

Trabb
14th March 2009, 04:38 PM
2 - When you get your Mac, it comes with a trial of both Office and iWork. Try them out for yourself and decide which one you like, then buy the one you prefer :)

Actually, macs these days don't come with either trial version... but you can still download a trial for iWork from the apple site. I'm almost certain that Microsoft don't offer a trial for Office for Mac (for some crazy reason)... but I would suggest giving iWork a try, if you don't like it pick up office, if you love it you have saved yourself a lot of money when you buy it!

iCarllovesapple
14th March 2009, 04:47 PM
I agree with everything everyone has said. The best place to buy a Mac, Is NOT A RESELLER!!! I'm not sure how far away you live from the Apple stores (There are 2 in Sydney. A look around apple.com.au/retail will give you the location details) but if you can go there that'd be great. Or... You could always buy online or over the phone. I prefer online so you don't have to be worried about the indian %$!@#*) up your order.. No offense to anyone..

iCarllovesapple
14th March 2009, 04:51 PM
Apple was sent from heaven to save us all from the windows pit of hell!

I'm taking this phrase, and putting it in my quote thingo on the bottom of every post... hehe

martymoose
16th March 2009, 04:40 PM
As discussed I purchased a macbook. 2.4ghz in stock standard configuration. I will upgrade myself when the the time comes.

Anyway, can someone recommend a good resource to teach me all about making a macbook talk (over a wireless network) with a vista PC and a network printer?

Thanks

Martin

MacBoi24
17th March 2009, 04:00 AM
Actually....I dont now if it's for the Unibodies only....but the Applecare people i spoke to explained that upgrading the RAM yourself voids the warranty...upgrading the HDD is fine though...I just just recently became a Mac...I bought the same macbook as you and im LOVING it....MACS RULE!!!

Trabb
17th March 2009, 07:45 AM
Nope, Ram is completely user-upgradeable... there are even guides on the Apple website and in the box on how to do it!

EDIT: I mean, of course, upgradeable without voiding warranty.