PDA

View Full Version : Faxing From A Powerbook - Reasonably Urgent

glenmorrow
27th May 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi all,
I've got a g4 1.5ghz PB running OS X 10.4.1 and need to send a fax. I know I can do it as the modem is a fax modem, and I even spoke to tech support at Apple, who told me to go to Sys Prefs, Printers and Fax, and set it up there. I did this, they then said I would see a 'Fax' option in the File menu of Word, but no, I don't. Nor do I see this optin under Send To, or in the Print dialogue box. I've never actually ever used the internal modem as I have broadband. Is there something I need to do to set this up?

Can someone help me out here, just want to send a document via fax from Word...surely can't be that hard??

Ideally would like to send it by 5pm today so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Glen

macmate
27th May 2005, 01:27 PM
go to print in word. in that print box you should see a fax button. it will ask you for a number. just type it in and it will send.

Ric

fairy1
27th May 2005, 01:29 PM
im actually wanting to do the same thing,, but i presume u need some sort of fax software...

if anybody knows one for mac or uses it do reply

macmate
27th May 2005, 01:34 PM
it comes with your OS.

like i said just go to the usualy print option in the file menu and when the print dialog box comes up just hit the fax button. this will set it all up and ask you you to send it to. you then have a choice of choosing someone from your address book or just typing in the phpone number.

Ric

glenmorrow
27th May 2005, 01:50 PM
There's no Fax button in the print dialogue box in Word. I'm running Word 2004. Any other ideas??

Glen

Disko
27th May 2005, 01:57 PM
is there a dropdown list from the 'pdf' button? "Fax PDF"?

glenmorrow
27th May 2005, 02:01 PM
Yes there is. So that's what I am meant to do, fax the document as a PDF file. Thanks, Glen

Disko
27th May 2005, 02:07 PM
Let us know if it works. :)

glenmorrow
27th May 2005, 03:20 PM
Yep it worked fine. Thanks.

Glen

Johnny Appleseed
27th May 2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Tiger has changed the whole Print dialogue box

glenmorrow
27th May 2005, 05:03 PM
Ok well now the urgency is over and the fax has been sent, just a quick question:

Macmate says there should be a Fax button in the Print dialogue box. Do you need additional drivers or software for this or is the method that Disko has mentioned the standard OS X method for faxing from within applications such as Word?

Glen

Currawong
27th May 2005, 05:08 PM
It's a standard Mac OS X thing. All necessary software is built into the system. I fax once in a blue moon and use this with no problems. It can get confusing in Word as the print dialogue from memory is more complex. However, depending on which version of the OS you have, it's either a button or in a "button menu".

macmate
27th May 2005, 05:17 PM
sorry i should have read your post. 10.4 put pdf and fax into a drop down. my bad.

in 10.3 and before it was a button.