PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hds In A G5 Best Way To Set Them Up?

grorr76
27th May 2005, 07:56 AM
Hi just wandering I just bought a 200gb hd for my g5 pwermac what is the best way to set the 2 up for optimun performance?

OziMac
27th May 2005, 09:17 AM
Well, you could use Disk Utility to set them up in a striped or mirrored RAID - striped gives you better performance, mirrored gives you redundancy.

However, there are risks to setting up a RAID in your Powermac which need to be understood (particularly the no-redundancy in the striped RAID - if something goes wrong on one of the disks, you could lose all of your data). In addition, you need to have two clean disks to set up the RAID, and need to do so off another drive (external HDD or DVD). Also, there are many better software RAID utilities than Disk Utility - I don't remember them off the top of my head, but check out VersionTracker (http://http:/www.versiontracker.com).

I did pretty much the same thing as you - bought an extra hard drive for the Powermac G5 almost immediately. However, I needed the space for my data, and didn't want to risk losing it - so I passed on the striped RAID option - would have been cool though. :)

blindfox
27th May 2005, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't go down the striped RAID path - too risky. If one of the drives fails you lose everything. I've seen this happens to couple of mates. Unless of course you have a 3rd HD in there to back up the data on the RAID setup ;)

I'd just set it it up as a second HD. I don't think the performance gains of striped RAID are significant enough to warrant the risk. But that's only what I've heard, so I'm no expert.

On-Site-Tec
27th May 2005, 10:34 AM
Striping is really cool. I do it with one of the machines i got here (PC Poo) but it is a LOT faster than just using one drive.

Yes it is sliiightly risky. Ive been working on a lot of PCs and well the only hard drive i have seen fail was in a old Pentium II system. Which was because someone had fiddled with it and shorted it out. Then it started doing stupid things.

If you trust your life to one hard drive, or two with half the data on each. It is the same in my books. You should always backup your data onto something else (DVD, CD, Flash drive, External hard drive, Another computer).

Because hard drives are really holding back the potential of computers these days. For a G5 Tower not to be as fast as it could? Shame on you :P hehe

Id say do it. Because were all aware we must backup our files. I also trust the safety of the drives connected to the G5 power supply a bit more than a PC with a crappy generic powersupply.

Matt :D

Mac Aid
28th May 2005, 05:21 PM
Software RAID gives you dubious performace benefits. A hardware raid is handled on the card, and so to the computer and OS just looks like one drive. A software RAID has to be handled by the CPU, which takes up memory and processor time.

The reason a software stripe set is more risky than 2 "JBOD" drives, is that ALL your files are vulnerable to a failure of EITHER drive, and the machine puts part of each file on each disk. Compare this with 2 single drives, where you would put some files on one, and some on the other, and you can also have a crude back-up of important data by having it on both drives (doesn't replace a proper back-up strategy mind you).

All your files are also subject to software risks (directory structure damage, software failure etc.). It's also a lot more dificult to recover your data should your machine fail in other ways (no simple whip the drive out, put it into an external and use the data on a rental machine)

In my view, the only reason you would do a software raid is if it's important that you have one logical volume, that is larger than either drive. Not a common situation on the desktop methinks.

If you are really concerned about performance that much, go out an buy yourself a hardware RAID box. (preferably RAID 5, which gives performance AND redundancy)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth, Lecture over. ;)