PDA

View Full Version : Software Update

stab
12th March 2009, 02:43 PM
Software Update drives me nuts.

I want to just download the packages so I can install the update on multiple machines.

But when its finished downloading, half of the packages have downloaded as a folder instead of a package and the update won't install from there.

Anyone else experience this pain?

geoffco
12th March 2009, 03:10 PM
You should be able to get all the updates from support.apple.com as standalone installers.

stab
12th March 2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah I know.
It just s**ts me that Software Update doesn't do what it says it does and download a package file that I can use on multiple machines!

grrrrrrr!

Brains
12th March 2009, 06:41 PM
Have a look in Software Update's "Update" menu. Select "Install and keep package". Once it has downloaded the updates it needs, it will open the directory where they were downloaded to so that you can copy (not move!) them to another location for storage or, as in your case, use on other machines.

Note that many updates are processor dependent -- you won't be able to use updates downloaded by your Intel-based iMac on either of your PowerPC-based machines, for example.

dangelovich
12th March 2009, 06:56 PM
If you're game, install and run Squid on one of your machines, then point the other machines at the proxy.
Download and install on one, then all the others will pull their content from the proxy and install as normal.

pengu
12th March 2009, 07:16 PM
depending how many machines ur talking about, OS X Server offers a "Software Update" service. it downloads the updates from apple, and provides them to your desktops.

stab
13th March 2009, 05:48 PM
Have a look in Software Update's "Update" menu. Select "Install and keep package". Once it has downloaded the updates it needs, it will open the directory where they were downloaded to so that you can copy (not move!) them to another location for storage or, as in your case, use on other machines.

Yup, thats exactly what I do, but I don't get a package! I get a folder with packages in it that I cannot use.

soulman
13th March 2009, 06:41 PM
Same thing happens here. Don't know what's borked in SU to cause this but usually there is a useful package in there somewhere that contains the desired update. It's frustrating.