PDA

View Full Version : Can Pb Use 2gb Ram

simonpeng
26th May 2005, 11:04 PM
I browse some website that is selling ram for Apple,
and I see that there are 2GB SO-DIMM ram available for PowerBook.

So does that mean we can have 2 * 2GB ram installed?
If not, what's the point to get 1 * 2GB ram?

Currawong
27th May 2005, 05:37 AM
As long as the memory physically fits in the Powerbook, then you could have 4Gb RAM in there.

By the way, I've moved this thread to the correct forum :)

purana
27th May 2005, 08:48 AM
Lets hope this is certified to work, as when Apple did the specs for Powerbooks, 2gb sodimms never existed.

If they do get certified, lets hope the price of 1gb sodimms come down. As all I want is a 1gb sodimm and then an existing 256mb sodimm to work in my powerbook. Then sell old 256mb sodimm off. That will make me a happy boi :P

mac_man_luke
27th May 2005, 09:18 AM
I thought G4s were limited to 2GB of ram?

OziMac
27th May 2005, 09:21 AM
Let us know if you do try it - putting the expense aside (and it would be horrendously expensive), having 4GB of RAM in a Powerbook would be unbelievable! Imagine the performance (and the heat!) ;)

simonpeng
27th May 2005, 12:42 PM
If anyone can lend me 2*2GB ram, I will try that in my PowerBook.

simonpeng
27th May 2005, 02:01 PM
I saw that ram available from www.macramdirect.com but I never shop with them before, I have emailed them and ask if the PowerBook can hold 2 x 2GB dram. I will report once I got their email.

simonpeng
27th May 2005, 02:49 PM
The answer is very obvious now.

=======
Hi Simon,
Your 15" PowerBook can support 2GB total maximum. 2x 1GB modules will max
you out.

Thank you! Billy G
Mac RAM Direct
http://MacRamDirect.com
=======

sfcoy
27th May 2005, 02:52 PM
I don't know about the absolute latest powerbooks, but the developer note for mine (a 1.25GHz AlBook - only 2 revs old) says the following:

The address logic for the RAM slots supports up to 2 GB total DDR RAM.

So you may be out of luck.

You could interpret the above to mean that it could see all of a single 2GB DIMM, but it would be an expensive experiment to find out.

Steve C.