PDA

View Full Version : Those Who Have Brought Pb Ram Oversea

kurisu
26th May 2005, 08:51 PM
hi there, i'm new to this forum and mac. i want to get a 1GB stick for my powerbook, but it costs a fortune to get it in oz..so i'm thinking to get it on OWC. however, it costs about $260 and i'm afraid if anything's you buy from internet that are over A$250 have to pay for custom and other related charges.. is anyone out there bought anything over $250 on internet? how much do they usually charge for duties and stuff???
thanks.

moo
26th May 2005, 09:12 PM
I did this about 9 months ago. From a place in Chicago. Cost $370 AUD and saved over a $100. No import duty. Just arrived on my door one day. Kingston brand.

fompsweeva
26th May 2005, 10:31 PM
www.macramdirect.com - EXCELLENT - cheap and they send the ram as "Computer chip sample" with a $5 value, which worked for me. :)

Works excellent. I bought the certified Samsung ram. 1gb.

simonpeng
26th May 2005, 10:36 PM
If the item is through FedEx, DHL, those express company, it is highly possibility you will get taxed, normally it is 10% GST. However if it is through normal post, it is hardly being taxed.

Some online retailer will label product as "Gift", "Sample", "Warranty repair" to avoid the tax, but it really depends whether they are willing to do it or not.

I get my 1GB ram from an US online retailer $174 plus $15 postage.

suryo
28th May 2005, 04:55 PM
Try Omni Technologies. Works out to around AU$210 including shipping for a 1GB SO-DIMM. It's system-tested, carries a lifetime warranty and gets delivered in around 5 days. They would probably be happy to label it as a warranty replacement or worth $50 or something if you ask nicely. My experience was positive all round.

Quamen
28th May 2005, 05:47 PM
meh. I just bought a 1gig stick for my powerbook here in Melbourne for $300. I just couldn't be bothered wih import duties, shipping and the possibility of having to send it back overseas for warranty replacement if anything did go wrong.

El Guardo
28th May 2005, 06:05 PM
Simonpeng has got it right:

if you bring any product in via air freight and it has a value exceeding AUS$250 it will be taxed and, in addition, may incur customs/duty and brokerage charges,

if, however, you bring in any product via normal post you will not be taxed until the applicable GST amount exceeds AUS$50 - hence, in short, anything less than AUS$500 can come in by post without tax charges being applied.

ppops
29th May 2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@May 28 2005, 05:47 PM
meh. I just bought a 1gig stick for my powerbook here in Melbourne for $300. I just couldn't be bothered wih import duties, shipping and the possibility of having to send it back overseas for warranty replacement if anything did go wrong.
Where abouts did u get the ram?

macmate
29th May 2005, 12:20 PM
i don't see what the big deal is. i just sold 1GB SODIMM Samsung RAM to a client for $290 and its always coming down. I have also sold 'Legend' RAM for a little more than that which is made in Australia. support you country people, whats a few $ at the end of the day?

if you don't then one day there will be no australian companies and then we will all be working for overseas companies so that all their profits leave australia. lets not be short sited.

my two cents

Ric

El Guardo
29th May 2005, 01:42 PM
I tend to agree with you on this one macmate.

I've happily bought RAM from Streetwise knowing that while I'm paying a little extra, I also have the luxury of being able to return it without hassle should there be any problems. And given that it's also going into a notebook worth $5000 to power software that cost $4000 that I earn my living from, I can't justify the risks associated with trying to save $50 or so.

Quamen
29th May 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ppops@May 29 2005, 12:07 PM
Where abouts did u get the ram?
Digiworld, opposite Melbourne Central

simonpeng
29th May 2005, 10:41 PM
I don't really agree with the idea that we should support local business otherwise there will be no ........ company in the future. Try to think this way, if we ONLY buy Australian MADE product, I guess our life will more like disaster.

Internet, global logistic, paypal, credit card, ebay, all these factors lower the barriers between countries when doing business. International trade, global competition is inevitable and it does better our life in almost every perspectives.

Australia will lose many job because of manufacturing is shutting down or moving to low cost country, but we also create a lot of new type of job as well. We have eduction exporting which is pollution free and at same time those oversea student creates domestic job as well. Cisco has setup tech support centre here to seamlessly support its global customers, again this is service and value-added product, Cisco only has 3 or 5 support centre worldwide.

Every country, and every business need to find their way, their niche market, their competitive advantage to survive. Sellers need to add more value when they are going to charge higher price such as better warranty program, better service, information and etc.

The perfect example here, I assume we all use Apple computer, it is DESIGNED in california, made in Taiwan/Korea, assembled in China. And we are using it to create more value to our life.

Back to the topic, search over internet, ask forum here, buying from oversea online retailer is cheaper than buy direct from Apple, Apple Centre or local computer shop. but does that saving really worth to you? It depends how you value your time.

If I know I can get the samething in Australia for just $40~50 extra, I would not bother to buy from US. But what I find is $200 different, I can't refuse to have second thought, why I should I buy here?

macmate
30th May 2005, 08:58 AM
well like stated, you can find the same here for 40-50 extra. and while yes the economy is becoming global, thats really just a justification for the big companies to step right in and dominate smaller or developing countries. Economically it's not good for a country.

Until we have one set of economic rules for all countries then this idea of a global economy is not going to be a reality and this will not be happening any time soon. i don't see how your example have anything to do with helping out resellers/retailers in this country by supporting them. Apple likes keeping things seperate, if they didn't then there would be 1 apple store and not one for each country, in fact due to different costs assosiated with getting product to different countries (not to mention taxes etc depending on the value of what is shipping) it would make it a nightmare to price their product otherwise (and i can tell you right now that consumers aren't savy enough not to get stung by the fact that there will/may be extra hidden charges).

Anyway this is off topic. I suggest buying local due to warranty and support issues if anything was to go wrong.